Wiki Posts
Search

Transfer Time Schiphol

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver
Transfer Time Schiphol

If I book a business class flight on EK from AMS to Hong Kong it works out about £600 cheaper than flying from UK.

If the departing flight from AMS to Dubai is scheduled to leave at 15:20 what time should I plan to arrive at AMS on a flight from London
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
12 or earlier to allow time to clear immigration and baggage collection, plus buffer time for any delays
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
If HBO until 14:20 will do. To feel more comfortable with this connection, I would arrive earlier than 14:20.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
Originally Posted by steveben53
If I book a business class flight on EK from AMS to Hong Kong it works out about £600 cheaper than flying from UK.

If the departing flight from AMS to Dubai is scheduled to leave at 15:20 what time should I plan to arrive at AMS on a flight from London
To play it safe I would shoot for noon the latest, maybe earlier if you have luggage to check. Assuming you are on separate tickets you may have to retrieve your bags in AMS and re-check them. The lines at immigration can be from non existent to half hour wait.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 10:24 am
Original Poster

There is a flight from LHR to AMS arriving at 11.00 so I think that would do nicely. Is there an Emirates Business Class Lounger in AMS ?
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You should be clear with yourself about the remote, but severe, dangers of travelling on separate tickets. If you do not present yourself for your onward flight from AMS, the entirety of that ticket is lost, with no rebookings or refunds available to you no matter how sorry your tale is. You will not be reaccommodated on a later service. If, for example, fog closes down LHR for half a day and loads of flights are cancelled, you're screwed. To be safe, I'd arrive the night before and suck up the cost of a hotel room.

Last edited by LondonElite; Jun 16, 2017 at 12:14 am
Old Jun 16, 2017, 10:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'd agree with noon for AMS - Schiphol - it can get quite congested. (I was there not long ago when the airport fuel system packed it in, creating massive problems - but that was admittedly exceptional.)
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
I've moved this thread to our European destination forum, which is the best spot for airport-specific threads.

chgoeditor
co-moderator, Information Desk
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:53 am

In AMS all you will have to do (assuming no checked-in luggage) is walk gate to gate, that will take you at most 15-20 minutes, but of course on separate tickets you always have the risk of your outbound flight being late.

If you need to check-in luggage you will have to clear immigration twice, wait for your luggage and check it in as well as clear security, this could add up to 2-3 hours during rush hours, so plan accordingly and arrive no later than 12:00.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:48 pm

A couple of months ago I flew AMS-DOH I arrived 3hrs prior to departure which is usually the norm but what a shitfight of an airport, The lines for checkin where horrendous followed by huge congestion at security, and lastly a vast sea of people at immigration. I had to run for the gate.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Just an update on this.

I took an easyjet flight to AMS the day before I was due to fly to HK and stayed at the Hampton by Hilton at the airport. The total cos for this, was £130, which meant a saving of nearly £500 on the trip.

I would definitely agree that travelling the day before, giving you some comfort leeway, is certainly a good plan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.