Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Current Schengen Fingerprinting Policy for US Citizens

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 4:26 am
Original Poster

What is the Current Schengen Fingerprinting Policy for US Citizens

What is the current policy of Schengen ports of entry fingerprinting US citizens? Someone was telling me about how he was fingerprinted at BUD following his flight from Russia. My understanding was that Schengen had not implemented mandatory fingerprinting as of yet for US citizens (they did not seem to do anything other than look at my passport when I flew into MAD last week). Is there a current policy for this? Does it vary by port of entry?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 2:50 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Last time I flew with am American into France (around months ago) they were not finger printed and I don't recall reading about any new rules.

Just out of curiosity what heinous crime are you worried about being caught for?
Old Jun 12, 2017, 3:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by guflyer
What is the current policy of Schengen ports of entry fingerprinting US citizens? Someone was telling me about how he was fingerprinted at BUD following his flight from Russia. My understanding was that Schengen had not implemented mandatory fingerprinting as of yet for US citizens (they did not seem to do anything other than look at my passport when I flew into MAD last week). Is there a current policy for this? Does it vary by port of entry?
When it comes to US citizens visiting the Schengen area for short duration visits without a Schengen country's visa, most are not fingerprinted when entering the Schengen zone at a Schengen port of entry.

BUD may have some concerns about people coming into the country fraudulently using real passports from countries whose citizens generally don't require a visa to enter the Schengen area. That and/or they may have just defaulted to asking for fingerprints when seeing a passport with a non-burgundy/red color at a given time. Usually this is not the norm for US passport holders entering the Schengen area.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:22 am

My wife is a US citizen who visits Schengen regularly indeed only three days ago and has never been fingerprinted - unlike EU citizens entering US

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.