Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting Luxembourg

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2017, 7:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Visiting Luxembourg

I've got an upcoming trip that will take me briefly to Luxembourg for the first time in many years. I'd appreciate recommendations for a nice dinner and something to do on a Sunday afternoon/evening (my Monday is pretty booked).

And while I've made a hotel reservation, I'd also appreciate advice there, preferably near the city center (I arrive by train and will have to be nearby on Monday), as SPG seems not to have anything and the Hilton offering does not seem tempting.

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ckendall
something to do on a Sunday afternoon/evening (my Monday is pretty booked).
I spend a Sunday on my last time trip to LUX and it was rather boring, given that most shops and malls are closed on Sundays. Might be better over the summer months, but I would definitely stick to sightseeing and going to Museums.

... as SPG seems not to have anything and the Hilton offering does not seem tempting.
Agree. The Hilton is just too far from the city center. I'd probably pick the Novotel or the Melia next to the ECJ.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Thanks; I booked a room (refundable) at Le Royal (fairly close to where I will be going) but I will check out the two you recommend.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 3:18 pm

Thanks; I booked a room (refundable) at Le Royal (fairly close to where I will be going) but I will check out the two you recommend.
I hear that they have renovated their rooms recently (max 1 or 2 years ago). The location is certainly better as the city center is in walking distance.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
The two best/most prominent hotels directly located in the city of Luxembourg are:

Le Royal, a member of the Leading Hotels of the World

and

Le Place d'Armes, a member of Relais and Chateaux.

A few years ago we've stayed at the Sofitel Le Grand Ducal Luxembourg which is within walking distance to nearly everything the city has to offer incl. train station, it's a modern hotel, equally a few years ago we've stayed at the Melia which is also a modern hotel but isn't located in the heritage city center of the city, this hotel tends to be more affordable however, overall it depends on the location/budget/style of hotel you're looking for while visiting beautiful Luxembourg City.

You might want also have a look what Novotel/Accor overall has to offer in Luxembourg.

Wherever you choose to base yourself...enjoy!

Cheers & Safe Travels. ^

Last edited by uggboy; Apr 20, 2017 at 8:21 pm Reason: Added hotel choices
Old May 22, 2017, 10:40 am
Original Poster

A quick follow-up; my night at Le Royal was quite pleasant. The renovated room was lovely and breakfast was quite nice. Service was fine though I paid for some newspapers which then appeared to be available for free in the lobby, so I will risk it next time.

For Sunday dining, I found this helpful: https://barefootinluxembourg.com/201...in-luxembourg/
Old May 22, 2017, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Were a lot of the restaurants in the city center closed on Sunday?
Old May 22, 2017, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK most restaurants are open on Sundays.

BTW: That list has some pretty bad options. I ended up at Bella Napoli once and it wasn't exactly impressive. There are definitely better pizza places.
Old May 22, 2017, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
When I started to look at restaurants I found that most appeared to be clsoed on Sunday. I ate at IKKI that was in an area with a bunch of restaurants, most of which were indeed closed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.