Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will my daughter be safe traveling alone in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will my daughter be safe traveling alone in Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
I had a similar encounter in Rome. The day after we arrived I discovered that one of the medications I had packed had only 1 tablet left in the bottle. I took it to a local pharmacy and the pharmacist looked at the label, which listed the generic name, and I got a refill for about 20% of the U.S. price.

The odd thing about this case was that I was sure the bottle was almost full when I packed it. But 3 TSA agents had a really good time unpacking all our carry-ons, so who knows?
I did something stupid: right before a month-long trip to Europe, I ordered all my refills, and put them on my desk. We ended up packing at the last minute (lots of things going on right before that trip). I packed all my meds in the usual black bag, and somehow, I packed the old bottle of one of my migraine prophylactics, instead of the refill. On the plane, I took my pills from a small pillbox I keep in my purse.

When we got to the hotel in Germany, and it was time to take my pills, I realized I had three pills left, and I was going to be in serious trouble soon. We managed to get the issue resolved fairly quickly (by going to a doctor's office next to a drugstore, explaining the situation, and getting a prescription, which we then got filled at the pharmacy, all of which cost next to nothing -- I don't remember the exact price, but I remember being shocked at how inexpensive it all was). I have no idea if this was the best, brightest doctor in the world, but problem solved.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ysolde
- I don't remember the exact price, but I remember being shocked at how inexpensive it all was). I have no idea if this was the best, brightest doctor in the world, but problem solved.
Medical care is fairly inexpensive in Europe. Usually paid 30 to 60€ for consultations and prescribed medication was anywhere between 1€ and 20€. Depending on where you are, it's sometimes more expensive: I know that French pharmacies tend to sell you boxes of medication, rather than the exact amount prescribed by the doc.

To get back to the diarrhea meds: For trips to Europe, I would honestly leave them at home. Never had any issue with that. Tap water is usually of superior quality than tap water in the US. You could get diarrhea from food, but I wager that if that happens to you in Europe, you were probably looking to get trouble.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:31 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Realistically the worst thing that could happen is she gets her phone/wallet stolen while she is not paying attention.

Just don't get too drunk, watch your drinks around strangers, and don't walk alone at 2 am and you will avoid 99% of potential issues in most places around the globe. Most people are decent humans with a few random bad apples scattered about.

Also, google translate now allows one to download language packs for offline translation purposes (voice translation too)! So while imperfect, communication is often a lot easier than in yesteryear

Last edited by Cityflyer10; Apr 22, 2017 at 8:42 am
Old Apr 23, 2017, 12:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Tizzette
A few tips for a woman's first trip to Europe. T-Mobile is the best international cell phone service because of low rate plans including data, eliminating the need for buying sim cards in every country. From sources like Tripadvisor forums, plan ahead the best way to get to the hotel upon arrival and program apps or phone numbers of taxi services and your hotels into the phone. Have addresses in written form to show your cabbie. Get familiar with using Google maps for walking directions. Keep money, credit cards and passport on your person in a zipped pocket or a crossbody bag worn in front and do not hang it on a chair back when sitting down. Keep your laptop bag with you on planes and trains, not stored overhead. Hide an emergency credit card, $100 cash and a copy of the passport under the lining of the carry on bag, and when leaving the hotel room, zip it up and leave some clothes piled on top. Put together a tiny medical kit with a few capsules of antibiotic and bubble packets for colds, diarrhea, tiny antiobiotic cream, a few bandaids, aspirin, and most importantly dry Pedialyte packets for dehydration in case of food poisoning. All this stuff is easily available to buy, but it is a hassle to go get it when you feel bad. Pack a plastic wedge door stopper for your hotel room door and a small LED flashlight. Do not take trains that arrive late at night, but if you must, take a taxi to your hotel and have some food in your bag so you don't have to go out looking for someplace that is open.
...for western Europe? That's hilarious! You really need to chill out a bit and enjoy life a bit. I think this is bad advice because it plants a bogeyman at every corner.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:50 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
...for western Europe? That's hilarious! You really need to chill out a bit and enjoy life a bit. I think this is bad advice because it plants a bogeyman at every corner.
Well for some people Europe apparently resembles Mogadishu or Baghdad even though, statistically, Western Europe is overall safer than most US cities.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 1:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
More useful would be mosquito repellant in disposable toilette form. Easy to carry. Nice to have around the canals and rivers, or even if one plans to sit inn outdoor cafes in the evening.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by ysolde
On top of that, OTCs are often sort of semi-OTC in Europe (sold behind the pharmacist's counter)
That's OTC by definition - Over The Counter.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Here are a few warnings for Europe

- you won't get a bucket of ice in each and every drink you order
- the a/c probably won't cool your room to Arctic temperatures
- the beer will be beer and not recycled ...
- in AMS (and some other places) people will speak better English than many Americans do
- public transportation actually works
- no TSA

Did I miss anything important?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
- you won't get a bucket of ice in each and every drink you order
- the a/c probably won't cool your room to Arctic temperatures*
- the beer will be beer and not recycled ...**
- in AMS (and some other places) people will speak better English than many Americans do***
- public transportation actually works****
- no TSA
Disclaimer:
* - There might not even be air conditioning.
** - Depends on where you go. Some Bavarians consider Kölsch to be recycled .... served in a test glass (and admittedly, they aren't wrong about that)
*** - YMMV.
**** - YMMV. Especially in France with the many strikes and the SNCF being notoriously know for delays. But even then, PT is a lot better than the PT in the US.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 6:15 am
Suspended

Did I miss anything important?
Yes. Coke tastes better here because in Europe real sugar is used, rather than high fructose corn syrup.

Originally Posted by WorldLux
Disclaimer:

** - Depends on where you go. Some Bavarians consider Kölsch to be recycled .... served in a test glass (and admittedly, they aren't wrong about that)
LMAO.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
That's OTC by definition - Over The Counter.
Oh, for Pete's sake . . .

In the US, OTC usually* means sold, not only without prescription, but without having to consult the pharmacist -- on racks in the drugstore or in the supermarket. This is often different in Europe. Not better, not worse. Just different. If you roll your eyes at acknowledging difference when you travel, then, well . . .

*There are exceptions, of course. In the US, Sudafed, sold without a prescription, is only found behind the pharmacist's counter, and requires ID.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Some of us like to wing it and make fun, and some of us like to be prepared. More often I help out somebody who has winged it than need anything myself.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Some of us like to wing it and make fun, and some of us like to be prepared. More often I help out somebody who has winged it than need anything myself.
To be honest, your version of traveling Europe doesn't sound fun. We are not talking about traveling the Atacama Desert. BTW, taking precautions isn't black (having 5 lbs of meds, etc.) and white ("winging it"). To Europe, I would take similar precautions as in US daily life.

And even if you "wing it", I wager that you'll be fine in 999/1000 cases.

Edit: Actually, I think that you would have to take more precautions traveling parts of the US than most parts of Europe. In Western Europe, you will almost certainly find a petrol station with a little shop every 30 miles. The same can't be said about many parts of the US, where you have to be pay much more attention to how much gas you have and where carrying a couple of water bottles is never a bad idea.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
To be honest, your version of traveling Europe doesn't sound fun. We are not talking about traveling the Atacama Desert. BTW, taking precautions isn't black (having 5 lbs of meds, etc.) and white ("winging it"). To Europe, I would take similar precautions as in US daily life.

And even if you "wing it", I wager that you'll be fine in 999/1000 cases.
My medical kit is smaller than a 311 bag and I take it everywhere, the US, Europe, Russia, India, Turkey, Mexico. People are misconstruing my precautions as extreme for purposes of making fun.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 11:37 am
Suspended

I travel to Europe every week. I don't take any of the things you consider necessary and I've never taken any of the 'first-time-tourist' things you describe. I have no idea how someone would even thing of dehydration remedies?

Do you carry this 911-kit with you every day at home?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.