Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Will my daughter be safe traveling alone in Europe?

Will my daughter be safe traveling alone in Europe?

Old Apr 20, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Did you read what I actually said: that all the meds are available to buy but when you are sick, you don't feel like going out to get them.
Speaking from experience as a solo traveler who doesn't stay in hotels with concierges, I can attest that packing a few tablets of an anti-diarrheal can be invaluable. When you really need them, you really can't go out to get them! I also usually pack a few of my favorite cold tablets, not because I think Europe is uncivilized, but because when I feel like death warmed over I don't feel like dragging myself to the pharmacy and investigating the alternatives.

That said, I think I wasn't relying on my parents to tell me about such things by the time I was 26. But then, I grew up in the pre-helicopter-parent age.

Last edited by Giggleswick; Apr 20, 2017 at 6:22 pm
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Why on earth so much focus on anti-diarrhea medications and food poisoning?

OPs daughter is going to Europe, not to India or a Taco Bell across the pond (although beware, as a franchise has just recently been opened in the Netherlands!)

Last edited by Romanianflyer; Apr 21, 2017 at 6:54 am
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
Because diarrhea from food poisoning or other causes can happen anywhere. For example, I'm pretty sure I picked up a gut bug at a beef bourguignonne place in Paris where I undercooked the meat. It made the rest of my trip a lot less pleasant.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by Tizzette
A few tips for a woman's first trip to Europe. T-Mobile is the best international cell phone service because of low rate plans including data, eliminating the need for buying sim cards in every country. From sources like Tripadvisor forums, plan ahead the best way to get to the hotel upon arrival and program apps or phone numbers of taxi services and your hotels into the phone. Have addresses in written form to show your cabbie. Get familiar with using Google maps for walking directions. Keep money, credit cards and passport on your person in a zipped pocket or a crossbody bag worn in front and do not hang it on a chair back when sitting down. Keep your laptop bag with you on planes and trains, not stored overhead. Hide an emergency credit card, $100 cash and a copy of the passport under the lining of the carry on bag, and when leaving the hotel room, zip it up and leave some clothes piled on top. Put together a tiny medical kit with a few capsules of antibiotic and bubble packets for colds, diarrhea, tiny antiobiotic cream, a few bandaids, aspirin, and most importantly dry Pedialyte packets for dehydration in case of food poisoning. All this stuff is easily available to buy, but it is a hassle to go get it when you feel bad. Pack a plastic wedge door stopper for your hotel room door and a small LED flashlight. Do not take trains that arrive late at night, but if you must, take a taxi to your hotel and have some food in your bag so you don't have to go out looking for someplace that is open.
All excellent advice here. I would add:

If she takes any prescription meds, make sure to take them with her, in their prescription bottles, and find out the generic name of the medication (in case she runs out or loses it). She may need to get a vacation waiver from her insurance company if she is going to be mid-prescription on any meds during her trip. Not a big deal, but needs to be arranged several days before the trip;

Cross-body bag makes it easy to safely carry your valuables (cell phone, credit card, some cash). Make sure it zips shut (and that you actually keep it shut);

There will be a lot of walking and cobblestones, so consider shoes carefully: white sneakers will make you stand out as a tourist; try comfortable, broken-in flats instead, and one other pair of very comfortable shoes. Leave the heels at home.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by steveca
Is there any advice that I should give her?
Yes, tell her to have fun. ^

Half a week in Amsterdam and half a week in Paris is hardly enough, leave Prague for another trip.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by ajGoes
For example, I'm pretty sure I picked up a gut bug at a beef bourguignonne place in Paris where I undercooked the meat. It made the rest of my trip a lot less pleasant.
Yeah, but do you carry around anti-diarrhoea medication with you while at home as well? Otherwise, this advice is somewhat hypocritical. Unless you eat primarily food that poses such risks, the chance that you'll get diarrhoea in Europe are pretty slim. And if it happens, Europe has pharmacies too...
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Yeah, but do you carry around anti-diarrhoea medication with you while at home as well? Otherwise, this advice is somewhat hypocritical. Unless you eat primarily food that poses such risks, the chance that you'll get diarrhoea in Europe are pretty slim. And if it happens, Europe has pharmacies too...
Personal preference, I suppose. The one time my husband got a terrible case of an upset stomach in Europe, we discovered that trying to figure out what the equivalent of OTC antidiarrheals in a foreign country, when you are not anywhere near fluent in their language, and English is not commonly spoken, and you are sick as a dog, is not the easiest thing in the world. On top of that, OTCs are often sort of semi-OTC in Europe (sold behind the pharmacist's counter), there are fewer of them, and you have to be able to describe your symptoms to the pharmacist in order to purchase.

IOW, if you are puking your guts out while simultaneously having diarrhea, that may not be the time to go out to the the local drugstore in a foreign country to find out what the local equivalent of Pepto-Bismol is. YMMV, of course.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 10:34 am

This thread is rather amusing, to put it politely.

The woman is 26. The places mentioned are safe, developed, Western. That's all there is to it.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by WorldLux
I used to, on my person at all times. Side-effects of the pink bismuth I used to take led me to drop the practice. As another poster mentioned, the last thing you want to have to do when in need is look for a pharmacy. As it happens, pink bismuth is not available in France, so I made doubly sure to have a supply when traveling there. This reminds me that I had to search for some in England when I ran out while out in the country. It would've been a lot nicer to have had it with me.

I had a great interaction with a charming pharmacist in Paris once. I'd run out of a prescription medicine, so I walked into one of the ubiquitous pharmacies and asked what I'd have to do to get a bottle of it. I explained what it was and told her the American trade name as well as the generic. She looked it up in a big cross-reference guide and came back with a package, telling me it was 8.00. (I think the American price was more like $30!)

Surprised, I asked, "doesn't it need a prescription?" She said yes, it does, but it doesn't matter.

Knowing French was a big help, but quite likely a non-Francophone could have gotten through the transaction without too much difficulty.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by flwrlover1
Adding to my previous advice to say to have her learn the local #'s for the police, fire, ambulance, etc. She can text herself or have a copy in her purse. Also have her read the article on here about what to do in case there's a fire.
112 anywhere in Europe.

Originally Posted by Romanianflyer
That's one thing you're more likely to get in France vs. the US
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I had a great interaction with a charming pharmacist in Paris once. I'd run out of a prescription medicine, so I walked into one of the ubiquitous pharmacies and asked what I'd have to do to get a bottle of it. I explained what it was and told her the American trade name as well as the generic. She looked it up in a big cross-reference guide and came back with a package, telling me it was 8.00. (I think the American price was more like $30!)

Surprised, I asked, "doesn't it need a prescription?" She said yes, it does, but it doesn't matter.

Knowing French was a big help, but quite likely a non-Francophone could have gotten through the transaction without too much difficulty.
I had a similar encounter in Rome. The day after we arrived I discovered that one of the medications I had packed had only 1 tablet left in the bottle. I took it to a local pharmacy and the pharmacist looked at the label, which listed the generic name, and I got a refill for about 20% of the U.S. price.

The odd thing about this case was that I was sure the bottle was almost full when I packed it. But 3 TSA agents had a really good time unpacking all our carry-ons, so who knows?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
The odd thing about this case was that I was sure the bottle was almost full when I packed it. But 3 TSA agents had a really good time unpacking all our carry-ons, so who knows?
I can't blame the TSA for my incident. The medicine was a nasal inhaler which I only use as needed, packed in a very dark brown bottle. Inspecting the bottle before I left, I thought I saw plenty of liquid. I caught a cold during the trip and quickly discovered I'd been wrong.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 8:41 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by ysolde
There will be a lot of walking and cobblestones, so consider shoes carefully: white sneakers will make you stand out as a tourist; try comfortable, broken-in flats instead, and one other pair of very comfortable shoes. Leave the heels at home.
This may have applied at some point in the past, but it is categorically wrong today.

Among 26-year old women like OP's daughter white Adidas Stan Smiths and Superstars are easily the most popular shoes and tasteful athletic shoes are now standard wear for young people across Western Europe.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by C W
This may have applied at some point in the past, but it is categorically wrong today.

Among 26-year old women like OP's daughter white Adidas Stan Smiths and Superstars are easily the most popular shoes and tasteful athletic shoes are now standard wear for young people across Western Europe.
Agree, but that's because many in Western Europe have no sense of fashion anymore.

So much better in Southern and Eastern Europe!

Although do note such white sneakers might not get you into fancy clubs. I often went out in groups from which everyone got in except Dutch and German girls whose clothes/shoes were not deemed fashionable enough!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: *G
This so called Europe place sounds so untamed and exotic

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.