Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding flight at BUD Terminal 2A

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Boarding flight at BUD Terminal 2A

Can someone point me to discussion of boarding a departing flight at BUD in 2A, Air France. I have read descriptions, but I'm still confused.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:10 am

What exactly do you need to know?

BUD airport is pretty simple. Terminal 1 is no longer in use since the demise of Malev, when everything was bundled up in T2.

Terminal 2 used to be made of two, non-connected buildings, T2A and B. They are now linked by a predominantly-airside building, called Skycourt. You can easily go from T2A to B, landside or airside.

T2A handles European flights, B non-European/non-Schengen. There are two security check areas, one in T2A and the other in T2B, you can use either, and once airside it's all available for you to go around. The only area you can't get into are the Gates to the left of this map as they are those for the non-EU/Schengen departures (your Moscow, Dubai, Kiev, London...).

Air France leaves out of T2A, whose gates are on the right in that map.

To make it short, you can go through security, then through the inevitable duty free and then you can go left, upstairs or right. your gate will be on the right.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 13900
What exactly do you need to know?

BUD airport is pretty simple. Terminal 1 is no longer in use since the demise of Malev, when everything was bundled up in T2.

Terminal 2 used to be made of two, non-connected buildings, T2A and B. They are now linked by a predominantly-airside building, called Skycourt. You can easily go from T2A to B, landside or airside.

T2A handles European flights, B non-European/non-Schengen. There are two security check areas, one in T2A and the other in T2B, you can use either, and once airside it's all available for you to go around. The only area you can't get into are the Gates to the left of this map as they are those for the non-EU/Schengen departures (your Moscow, Dubai, Kiev, London...).

Air France leaves out of T2A, whose gates are on the right in that map.

To make it short, you can go through security, then through the inevitable duty free and then you can go left, upstairs or right. your gate will be on the right.
Thanks, very helpful. But I read something about automatic gate you have to go through 50 min before your flight? Do you have any idea what that's about? I read that on the official website.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
They're basically automated gates that don't let you go to the gate area until 50 minutes before your flight, and prevent you going through 15 minutes before. Before that you are in the shopping/restaurants area
Old Mar 13, 2017, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajeleonard
They're basically automated gates that don't let you go to the gate area until 50 minutes before your flight, and prevent you going through 15 minutes before. Before that you are in the shopping/restaurants area
So there is one automated entry for each gate/flight then? I'm trying to picture it in my head.

Is there any way to know in advance if you are going to a Bus gate? They only give you 50 min to board aircraft. I'm wondering how that works if you have to wait for and take a bus.

How can I find out which boarding gate will my flight depart from?
Some airlines already specify the boarding gate on the boarding pass. At the airport, boarding gates are first shown on the monitors in the transit area, after passenger security screening. The gate number will appear 40-50 minutes prior to departure, which enables passengers to reach any gate comfortably. The method of boarding, and thus also which gate will be used, is dependent on the decision of the airline but can also be guessed by the boarding gate number. The basic boarding gates are 12 gates found under number A12-19 and B2-5. Bus gates are the A1,2,3,4,6,9,11 and the B8,9,12,13,15,16,17,18 gates. Jetties are found at the gates A5,7,8,10 and B1,6,7,10,11,14,19.

Last edited by zitsky; Mar 13, 2017 at 12:32 pm
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
So there is one automated entry for each gate/flight then? I'm trying to picture it in my head.

Is there any way to know in advance if you are going to a Bus gate? They only give you 50 min to board aircraft. I'm wondering how that works if you have to wait for and take a bus.
I'm 99% sure that AF won't use a bus. The only airlines I've seen at a remote stand in BUD in my 20+ visits were Wizzair, EasyJet or Ryanair. Having said that, there's always a chance they might be using a bus. Nothing to worry about though, just go to the gate when the screens - of which there are plenty of - highlight that the gate is open for boarding, and off you go.

I'd expect a bus gate to close earlier than a normal one with a jetway, don't know how much though. Low cost carriers do close earlier than normal - Wizzair closes some 30' prior to take off time, which back some years ago meant waiting outside whilst the other passengers de-planed... However this is no longer the case as everything is now indoors.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for your answer. Much appreciated.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Originally Posted by zitsky

No, these are before the security (I don't know if they have a cutoff time at all) Once you are thru security, you can roam the whole transit area freely (except the non-Schengen side, where you need a non-Schengen boarding pass to enter)

Bus gate or not - you just go to your gate and go. You'll notice, if you're entering a bus or an aircraft. AF is most probably on a jetway.

I don't understand what you mean by saying "They only give you 50 min to board aircraft" - Boarding is not even started 50 minutes before the flight - gates are announced about 50-60 minutes before scheduled departure.

Case in point - yesterday in BUD AY started boarding around 11 am and boarding was completed by 11:15, pushback at 11:20 (scheduled departure 11:35)
Old Mar 17, 2017, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
No, these are before the security (I don't know if they have a cutoff time at all) Once you are thru security, you can roam the whole transit area freely (except the non-Schengen side, where you need a non-Schengen boarding pass to enter)

Bus gate or not - you just go to your gate and go. You'll notice, if you're entering a bus or an aircraft. AF is most probably on a jetway.

I don't understand what you mean by saying "They only give you 50 min to board aircraft" - Boarding is not even started 50 minutes before the flight - gates are announced about 50-60 minutes before scheduled departure.

Case in point - yesterday in BUD AY started boarding around 11 am and boarding was completed by 11:15, pushback at 11:20 (scheduled departure 11:35)
Thank you very much. The 50 min I got from the airport website. I must have misunderstood.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
My basic message is - don't worry, BUD is a small and easy airport to depart from.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
My basic message is - don't worry, BUD is a small and easy airport to depart from.
Thanks. The worst that could happen is I miss my flight, and have to stay there longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.