Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam for one day in May ! Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by Ditto
The connexxion bus you might need in Amstelveen, depends on where you need to go to.
And if you want to go to Haarlem, a r/t on the train is 8,40€ + paper ticket + credit card charge... so you are probably also better off with the regional ticket, if you only stick to Amsterdam + can use tram/metro to your destination in Amstelveen, the Amsterdam only ticket is good enough
If I land at AMS on Monday at around 10am and I leave Thursday after 4am but before 10am, both the city ticket and the region ticket would require me to anyways buy a new ticket to the airport?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by joshwex90
If I land at AMS on Monday at around 10am and I leave Thursday after 4am but before 10am, both the city ticket and the region ticket would require me to anyways buy a new ticket to the airport?
Yes, and in this case the city ticket makes no sense, a r/t NS ticket will be 9,90€, and a 72 hours (this is actually 72 hours, not limited to calendar days) GVB ticket is 17€, this is instead of 26€ + 5,90€

I'd also add that you might want to consider if you even need a 3 day ticket for Amsterdam itself, most of the place you'd want to visit will probably be within walking distance, and a single 1 hour ticket is 2,90€
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What GVB is 17? I only saw 26.

And what would be 26 + 5.90?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:10 am

What GVB is 17? I only saw 26.

And what would be 26 + 5.90?
26€ is a combination of r/t NS (train) fare + 3 days GVB.
17€ is for a 72-hour GVB only ticket, https://en.gvb.nl/gvb-dag-meerdagenkaart
5,90€ is a single ticket Amsterdam Centraal-Sciphol including all additional fees
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can I put both the r/t ticket and the 72 hour GVB ticket on 1 disposable chipkaart?
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:36 am

Can I put both the r/t ticket and the 72 hour GVB ticket on 1 disposable chipkaart?
No.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, so after having gone over this, does this make the most sense for my needs considering 3 days (but actually 72 hours, so if I got the travel tickets, I'd need to pay again for the train when I leave)

GVB multi-ticket (17)
r/t rail ticket between airport and Zuid, buying e-ticket on b-europe (7.60)
Haarlem - either buy r/t ticket on rail or pay in cash on Connexion bus (anyone know which is cheaper/more convenient from Amstelveen)?

Reason to buy the airport ticket in advance is that allows me to buy r/t ticket. Buying paper ticket would be individual one-ways, with added 1.50 euro fees to each for card and paper.

Reason not to get Amsterdam Travel Ticket (26) or Amsterdam and Region Ticket (33.50) is I would still need to pay extra for the return train to the airport.

Reason to get the unlimited GVB multi-day ticket is I anticipate at least 6 tram/metro/bus rides, and if I understand correctly, each would cost 2.90 euro as I can't use e-purse without a chipkaart (each ride would be at least 1 hour apart from the other so I would need to pay again each time).

Sound about right?
Old Sep 3, 2017, 6:43 am

Haarlem - either buy r/t ticket on rail or pay in cash on Connexion bus (anyone know which is cheaper/more convenient from Amstelveen)?
From Amstelveen you take bus 356, it is more convenient... you then get off the bus one/two stops before the last, in Raaksbrug/Tempeliersstraat, those are closer to the city cetner than the train station (and the bus last stop), the cost should be 5€ each way I think.

Check out google maps and/or 9292.nl (or download the app to your mobile if you will have 4G)
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by SKYEG
I'm thinking of maybe checking out a coffeeshop but it's been a while since I smoked so that will be deifnitrly a game time decision. I definitely want to see one though lol!
I have a similar issue as the user above.

When I'm in Amsterdam, I would certainly like to check out a coffee shop. However, I don't smoke. Is it socially acceptable to just go there for an actual coffee as opposed to checking out the product they are famous for?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by .flyer

When I'm in Amsterdam, I would certainly like to check out a coffee shop. However, I don't smoke. Is it socially acceptable to just go there for an actual coffee as opposed to checking out the product they are famous for?
Absolutely it's acceptable to go and have coffee!

Just know that you will definitely be surrounded by smokers...so if you haven't smoked before, you will have after you left!
Old Sep 19, 2017, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can always go to a cafe that's located next to a coffeeshop.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL

Totally fine, try a brownie with your coffee
Old Sep 19, 2017, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Originally Posted by altabello
Totally fine, try a brownie with your coffee
Yeah, that's about as far as I'll go
altabello likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Absolutely it's acceptable to go and have coffee!

Just know that you will definitely be surrounded by smokers...so if you haven't smoked before, you will have after you left!
Seriously, is there not any coffee shop where the smoking is not allowed?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by TheMadeTraveler
Seriously, is there not any coffee shop where the smoking is not allowed?
What would be the logic in that?
altabello likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.