Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam or Prague?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by JBord
I'm usually a big cheerleader for the train on this route, but would consider a car at that price.
That's the premium for a one-way rental. The total cost of the one-day booking I looked at was around $150.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

I wasn't planning on renting a car as I figured that public transportation would be adequate in big cities.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
most stations have luggage lockers (all the main stations do)
What's the point of luggage lockers? From whatever city we go to, we'd be traveling to another city and not returning the Belgium.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd guess that vegan/vegetarian food would be easier in the Netherlands. Also, more English is spoken, so it's easy to ask and get accurate answers.
I would have thought that but several sites I've seen mention Prague as a great city for vegetarians. This site says it's number 1 (Amsterdam being number 4).
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by mtnagel
What's the point of luggage lockers? From whatever city we go to, we'd be traveling to another city and not returning the Belgium.
The point is, if you want to take the train, and get out in a city on the way... you have place to put your luggage until you return to the train station and continue on your way to Amsterdam.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ditto
The point is, if you want to take the train, and get out in a city on the way... you have place to put your luggage until you return to the train station and continue on your way to Amsterdam.
Ah, for intermediate stops. Makes sense. Thanks!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I wasn't planning on renting a car as I figured that public transportation would be adequate in big cities.
Yes, you'll be fine without a car everywhere you're going. I misunderstood the cost that was quoted. If the price is similar or less, the train wins every time for me.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:01 am

The two cities are very different architecturally: Prague has more Romanesque and Gothic ("medieval") buildings, whereas most of Amsterdam is post-Renaissance (16th century onwards). The latter is also the place to go for modern architecture.

Prague is probably going to be better for hiking, Amsterdam has better museums, as far as beer is concerned it's likely a draw, although it'll cost you less in Prague. Prague might feel more touristy, especially during the time of your trip.

Another thing to consider, AMS is a much larger airport: #3 in the EU and 60M+ pax while PRG is #38 with 1/4 of that number and comparably few long-haul flights, so it'll always be easier to visit Amsterdam during a stopover on any of your future trips. On the other hand, if you're travelling from Brussels this time, Amsterdam is just a 2h train trip away, and no need to take flights at all.

Unless you have a strong preference regarding any of the above, I second WorldLux's advice to go for the one that's more convenient to travel to for you this time.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:51 am

You mentioned beer and walking around - Prague is the place. In June you can fly from Brussels in 90 minutes one-way for about $25. Check Skyscanner's whole-month option.

I love Amsterdam but Prague is a contrast to the Low Countries and better weather. In beer terms if you regard Heineken as authentic I can't help you. But you'll be blown away by Czech beer. After all that's where Pilsner started.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: GarudaMiles, Qatar Privilege Club, Miles&More
Originally Posted by JBord
Go with Amsterdam then. Better museums but, in my opinion, beer is not as good as Prague .
Well the OP is already visiting Belgium so (s)he can definitely enjoy some great beers when (s)he's there!

Make sure to visit Delirium cafe in Brussels, they have a HUGE assortment of beer (Guiness World Record holder), my usual tactic of choosing a beer is taking the menu and blindly pinpoint something, otherwise it takes you ages to decide!

For transport between Brussels and Amsterdam I would personally choose the train over flying or renting a car. The problems with flying are obvious, you lose a lot of time on the airport and getting to/from it. The problem with renting a car is that it's probably more expensive (unless you travel in a group) and you have the hassle of finding+paying for parking space, etc... Public transport is pretty decent in both the Netherlands and Belgium.

Cheers!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by Zolex
Well the OP is already visiting Belgium so (s)he can definitely enjoy some great beers when (s)he's there!
Completely agree, one of the best, if not the best, country in the world to enjoy beer!!!
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I mentioned to a Belgian friend that a Dutch friend was drinking beer -- Heineken, to be precise. Belgian friend replied, "That's not beer."

Another anecdote: I was, alas, only eleven when I stood at the bar in Pilsen and watched the grownups drink. This was in the People's Republic days, though, so maybe I didn't miss much.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by ajGoes
I mentioned to a Belgian friend that a Dutch friend was drinking beer -- Heineken, to be precise. Belgian friend replied, "That's not beer."
[Change breweries as appropriate ]

The CEO of Heineken, CEO of Amstel and CEO of Guinness walks into a pub.
The CEO of Heineken orders "A pint of Heineken, the best beer in the world!"
The CEO of Amstel orders "A pint of Amstel, the best beer in the world!"
The CEO of Guinness turns to the barman and order of a glass of coke.

They all look at him confused and asking... aren't you ordering a beer?
The CEO of Guinness responds "why should I? nobody else did"
Old Jan 25, 2017, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Ditto
[Change breweries as appropriate ]

The CEO of Heineken, CEO of Amstel and CEO of Guinness walks into a pub.
The CEO of Heineken orders "A pint of Heineken, the best beer in the world!"
The CEO of Amstel orders "A pint of Amstel, the best beer in the world!"
The CEO of Guinness turns to the barman and order of a glass of coke.

They all look at him confused and asking... aren't you ordering a beer?
The CEO of Guinness responds "why should I? nobody else did"
LOL!

I will say, although Belgium has the best beers in my opinion, drinking a Guinness in Ireland or a nice unfiltered beer in the Czech Republic is a totally different experience than drinking those same beers in the US. Both are very enjoyable, just not the same variety and selection as in Belgium.
Old Jan 26, 2017, 6:55 pm

Programs: SA Air, Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
Thanks all. Either we'll but in Bruges or Brussels. It looks to be better to be in Brussels and it's either a 90 minutes, $30 flight or a 2 hour train ride. I know dealing with the airport will make the flight longer, but I'd say that neither are particularly difficult.

Sounds like we can't make a bad decision and we'll just have to do the other city the next time we come over.
If you are in Brussels or Bruges then Amsterdam would be easier, and I highly recommend rail and not dealing with the whole airport thing.

Brussels to Prague would be a fantastic trip if you have the time to do it! Again rail is so much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.