Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trip Planning – Open Jaw of DEN to LON, then FLR to DEN

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Trip Planning – Open Jaw of DEN to LON, then FLR to DEN

Late June and/or early July I want to spend two to three weeks in Europe. The anchor for the trip is a friend outside of Florence opening his home to me for as little or as long as I would like. I also have another co-worker/friend that I would very much like to see in London.

While I know this is very opened ended, I would appreciate comments about:

*booking flights, and
*traveling between London and Florence.

Here are some other relevant facts:

*Live in Denver
*My 15 YO daughter will be accompanying me
*When we travel we typically do it commando-style with a full calendar, but for this trip I would like to depart from that style.
*I have 100K miles in my United MilagePlus account, but not adding any more this year.
*I might have my Southwest Companion Pass by June 1
*I have 200K Hilton Honors points.
*Later in the summer daughter will spend a week at the beach w/ friend back in the U.S.
*She is minimally conversational in Spanish. I know English and Texan.
*Our only previous international travel is London for one week when she was 10 YO
*London only needs to be 24 or 48 hours
*Florence will be at least four days.

Initial Trip Plan
Night 1 – DEN-LHR
Night 2 & 3 – London
Night 4-10 – ???
Night 11-15 – Florence
Day 16 – FLR-DEN

London
The two things I want to do in London is: 1) have drinks w/ co-workers late afternoon, and 2) dinner with a friend and his family in Wimbledon. I was initially eyeing a June 20 departure date from Denver; however, I could see us departing on June 30 so that we could see an opening-round match at Wimbledon on Monday the 3rd.

Florence
Excluding the arrival day I want to spend four complete days in Florence doing nothing but drinking coffee in the morning, wine in the evening, and going to the market in between.

???
While I don’t want to do seven cities in seven nights while we make our way from London to Florence, I also want to keep things interesting for my daughter given that the time we spend in Florence for her will be like spending time with cousins you have only met once in your life…when you were 5 years old. She would like to see Spain, and I have always wanted to see Barcelona. With that written I think going through Eastern Europe would be very cool. While I have little desire to see Paris (I’m fearful of a French waiter not doing a good job hiding his disgust with me as I order a Diet Coke), I’m presuming my daughter would be thrilled to see the Eifel Tower at night.

Through I have never done it in the States, there is this romantic connotation about traveling through Europe via train though I suspect that some air travel costs the same.

The Open Jaw Flight Tickets
When I first go on United’s site I’m pleased that I can book one ticket using miles; however, when I look at the cash-price of that same itinerary I am less-pleased with the $1,200 price tag. The DEN-LHR price of $200 is appealing, but getting back to the U.S. appears to be much more expensive. Speaking of flight cost I do not need to spend those 100K United MileagePlus miles to make this trip work. Those miles can/will be easily put to work with by a college student flying home for the holidays.

We don’t have to originate our flight back to the U.S. from Florence. We can cut that week of travel (see “???” above) in half and ultimately start our return from another city.

Again, I would appreciate everyone’s comments about the “???” part of the trip as well as gaming the system – because we do have a great deal of flexibility – to keep our flight costs low.

Last edited by txtxyeha; Jan 22, 2017 at 12:49 pm Reason: formatting
Old Jan 22, 2017, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
My first question is what others say to you when you fly 'commando-style'?
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Regarding the flight tickets - if we leave out the miles, UA might not be the best option, did you check other carriers for DEN-LHR, FLR-DEN open-jaws? There are no long-haul flights from FLR so European carriers often have the better fares. Check BA or Lufthansa. With LH you will still earn United miles.

If the open-jaw is still too expensive on any carriers, then considering just booking DEN-LHR round-trip and linking it up with a cheap FLR-LCY/LGW ticket on the way back. Cityjet and BA fly the FLR-LCY route and Vueling to LGW.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
Just a few suggestions of things to consider. You'll open yourself to more flight options (either out of London or out of the US) if you look at flying into Italian cities other than Florence. For example, we flew to Rome and spent a few days there before hopping on the train from Rome to Florence. You mentioned you have something of a romantic travel ideal about getting the train through Europe? Also, consider taking the Eurostar from London to Paris (if you decide to go down to the Paris visit route). Everyone loves their first time going under the Channel and it only takes just over 2 hours. The Parisians are much more tolerant of Americans these days...I think dollars have won out over snobbery You'll be fine ordering your "coca light".

Lots of great advice about train travel through Europe (and the rest of the world) on this site:

http://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-travel.htm

As a proud Londoner I should add that you'll find London has changed a lot in the 5 years since you last visited. You might find yourself wanting to hang around a few days. We have great coffee, markets and wine too. Check out the area around Spitalfields/Shoreditch (especially if you're around on a Sunday - your daughter will love it, and quite likely so will you!). I'm happy to recommend some places if you decide to go down that route.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:56 am

I would check paid ticket prices to London or Paris and returning from either MXP or MAD/BCN - Those seem to be very cheap for July.

after London take the train to Paris. Moving on to Barcelona/Catalonia (some wonderful places there, e.g. Begur, Empurias, Cadaques) that can be done by rental car. Next fly or take the ferry (even better) to one of the Islands (Ibiza or Mallorca) and returning to the US from Madrid (seeing Granada/Sevilla before). Spain is quite a bit cheaper than Italy and more fun for a 15 year old in my opinion.

Last edited by erik123; Jan 24, 2017 at 8:03 am
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:28 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Please follow the thread to the Europe forum, where the you can garner input on land travel, and general information, etc.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I'd also recommend the Seat61 website posted above - excellent resource for any rail travel you might want to do.

Definitely look at other departure cities besides Florence even if that is where you end up. That doesn't mean cutting your trip short - you can readily move elsewhere from Florence the day before departure.

You could also look at returning to somewhere else in the US that could be more affordable and booking separate travel (award or paid) from that US city to DEN if the math works out better that way.

I certainly wouldn't avoid Paris or France in general over some misplaced fear of embarrassment. They're plenty used to tourists from all over and. although I wouldn't recommend it, one can go to tourist-oriented restaurants or even McDonald's if feeling unsure...and plenty of people drink Coke Light (Diet Coke) there, too! There is so much to see and do it would be a shame to miss out if it would otherwise interest you to visit.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for your comments/encouragement. Things are still coming together for this trip, but I am getting more optimistic about: 1) it actually happening, and 2) it will be a great trip.

erik123, your comments about taking a ferry to Ibiza piqued my interest, though admittedly when I read that it was an 8-hour trip I still remained interested in Ibiza though less interested in the cruise part. I can see my wife objecting to a couple of days in Ibiza given its party reputation, but it is not as if I will take my 15 YO clubbing.

I was informed by my friend that Florence, Italy, might have been traded in for Rothenburg, Germany. Given that I have never been to either country I am good with both. Rothenburg actually makes flying easier for a DEN-LHR-FRA-DEN open-jaw ticket is only $900 with the FRA-DEN being a non-stop.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:11 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
FWIW, you may find it easier to find flights to from Pisa (PSA) than Florence, and it's very handy for the city, if your trip still ends up going there.

Ibiza is very much an island of two halves, and famous these days only for the party side. Don't let that side of its reputation put you off!

Getting from London to wherever to Italy or Germany is easy - and you may find that low-cost flights aren't much more than the tax you'd end up paying on redemption flights.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
If you want to avoid the party crowd just go to Mallorca, the scenery is nicer anyway.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 8:51 pm
Original Poster

Going to end this trip in Florence, and as other people have said it is cheaper to spend $100 pp to fly to Munich, Frankfurt, or Zurich for one extra night then begin our return trip the next morning. Quick vote: which city to spend one evening/night in before heading back to the States? As a reminder it is Dad and my 15 YO daughter
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by txtxyeha
Going to end this trip in Florence, and as other people have said it is cheaper to spend $100 pp to fly to Munich, Frankfurt, or Zurich for one extra night then begin our return trip the next morning. Quick vote: which city to spend one evening/night in before heading back to the States? As a reminder it is Dad and my 15 YO daughter
I've only been to Zurich (outside of the airport, and also only in the winter), but it's got a nice small-city feel to it. Easy to get to ZRH by train, and you can spend time walking Paradeplatz for shopping or take a stroll near Lake Zurich. Compared to Frankfurt or Munich, Zurich will almost certainly be more picturesque.
Old May 30, 2017, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Almost all lodging and travel has been booked. Starting in early July here's the itinerary:

DEN (connecting through LAX) - LHR - Paris (via EuroStar) - Barcelona (via TGV) - VCE (day trip) - Florence (via train) - Crete (via train to Rome then FCO to CHQ) - ZHR (connecting through ATH) - DEN (connecting through YYZ and ORD)

That's a lot of travel even if spread over 15 days. The only tight connection is the 65 minute layover in LAX at the beginning of the trip. That's not looking like the smartest purchase right now, but not a great deal of choice when trying to keep the tix < $1k. If we pull this off w/o a major delay...I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:55 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by txtxyeha
Almost all lodging and travel has been booked. Starting in early July here's the itinerary:

DEN (connecting through LAX) - LHR - Paris (via EuroStar) - Barcelona (via TGV) - VCE (day trip) - Florence (via train) - Crete (via train to Rome then FCO to CHQ) - ZHR (connecting through ATH) - DEN (connecting through YYZ and ORD)

That's a lot of travel even if spread over 15 days. The only tight connection is the 65 minute layover in LAX at the beginning of the trip. That's not looking like the smartest purchase right now, but not a great deal of choice when trying to keep the tix < $1k. If we pull this off w/o a major delay...I'll be pleasantly surprised.
I see you've traded in clubbing in Ibiza for clubbing in Malia

It looks like an extensive and varied itinery (if exhausting from a European's perspective!).

Hope you and your daughter have a great time and please let us know how you get on.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by krispy84
I see you've traded in clubbing in Ibiza for clubbing in Malia...
OP flies to Chania, which is about 175 km away. There are more possibilities for clubbing west of Chania. Also, Malia "clubbing" is restricted to Brits aged 17-22, getting drunk on cheap beer. Yakh...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.