Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Belarus

proof of medical insurance is required
To get the visa at the airport upon arrival a traveler must show proof of "medical insurance in the amount of at least €10,000 operational in Belarus". If the traveler does not have such documentation available, they can easily purchase insurance upon arrival, at a a kiosk to the left as you enter the Immigration hall: €2 for 1 or 2 days, €4 for 3 or 4 days, or €6 for 5 days. (see posts #16, #25)

visa policy of Belarus: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Belarus

Lonely Planet - Belarus: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/belarus
Print Wikipost

Visa Free Travel to Belarus

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:05 am

It says in the article I linked earlier that "medical insurance can be purchased on-site," so the worst-case scenario is they might just force someone to buy another policy despite already having coverage but nobody will be denied entry due to the lack of medical insurance.

According to the airport website the insurance costs €2 for 1 or 2 days, €4 for 3 or 4 days or €6 for 5 days, so I wouldn't worry that much about it.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:49 pm

Programs: A3 Silver, BA BLUE, IHG Gold, Hertz President's circle, AY plat
Grodno (a city in the northwest of Belarus) is already visa free since October 2016.
Only restriction is that you must have booked an "tour" at a local travel agency, but there are agencies that sell a ticket for a museum + a map as a tour for around 10-15 EUR. After having booked such a "tour", they send a letter that has to be showed at the border for visa free entry.
Even travel Poland > Grodno > Lithuania is allowed.

Visited Grodno in January with such an arrangement. Expected a lot of questions at the border, but it all went smooth and hassle-free. They didn't ask for insurances, special documents, a proof of sufficient funds, ...
It's a nice city to visit, but not for longer than 1-2 days.

http://grodnovisafree.by/en/
Old Mar 2, 2017, 8:12 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Originally Posted by Clay_C.
Will be very interested to get some reports on how this is working, especially when it comes to the proof of insurance requirement.
It works exactly the same as when you would need a visa: also then insurance is required or must be bought at the border.

Almost any decent insurance company (certainly in Western Europe) can provide you for free with a letter in Russian stared that your insurance covers Belarus as well. This is sufficient if coming from an European or other Western country.

Insurance companies should have such draft letters, as they are also required when ie applying for a Russian visa.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:37 am
a7m

Programs: Alaska Gold. SU Silver.
Originally Posted by muji
Same here. Hopefully someone can let us know.

As I posted earlier: How would one prove having medical insurance, especially proving the "at least €10,000" coverage part?
Is showing a letter from one's HMO the normal way?
I think they expect to see simple travel medical insurance, similar to the one the EU requires of people from Belarus. Like the one from sevencorners. US insurance companies typically do not provide letters that clearly state your coverage overseas.
Old Mar 19, 2017, 7:19 am

I will travel to Minsk for a night in April

Just booked

B2 892 SXF-MSQ
B2 803 MSQ-VNO
BT 215 VNO-TXL

for 216CHF (216USD/201EUR)
Old Mar 20, 2017, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by Geby86
I will travel to Minsk for a night in April
Just booked
Have a good trip. Hope you can report back on how it went
(including on how/if they checked to see if you had medical insurance valid for Belarus, as they require).
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A pain free arrival today. There is a kiosk to the left as you enter the Immigration hall for medical insurance. The cost is Euro 2 for every 2 days you purchase.

At immigration they checked the insurance policy form in a very cursory manner and then processed me as normal. No questions, no need to produce my return ticket. Do ensure you have a migration card (OS offered these in flight).

Chocks on to lanside in less than 20mins.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
There is a kiosk to the left as you enter the Immigration hall for medical insurance. The cost is Euro 2 for every 2 days you purchase. At immigration they checked the insurance policy form in a very cursory manner
Thanks for the info, Swanhunter.

So, you bought medical insurance, to cover yourself while in Belarus, at the airport upon arrival. There was a fee of 2 euros for the processing, or was 2 euros the amount you paid for the actual insurance to cover two days in the country?
Old Apr 15, 2017, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info, Swanhunter.

So, you bought medical insurance, to cover yourself while in Belarus, at the airport upon arrival. There was a fee of 2 euros for the processing, or was 2 euros the amount you paid for the actual insurance to cover two days in the country?
4 Euros for 4 days insurance cover. Took no more than 2 mins including scanning my passport and signing a small form.

Amex failed to send me a letter when I requested one and I forgot to chase due to excess travel.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
4 Euros for 4 days insurance cover. Took no more than 2 mins including scanning my passport and signing a small form.
Thanks. I'll add that information to the wiki.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Departure was a little more painful mostly due to volume of people. Couple of things at immigration

* do keep your migration card, it will be asked for
* ensure wherever you stay registers you and stamps it as mine was scrutinised

Otherwise a painfree though tracking down the lounge in departures was quite an adventure.
Old Jul 8, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
I'll add my own experience.

Arrival was easy. As others have said, insurance desk on the left before you get to passport control. They take Visa for payment, no problem, you don't even need cash, not even 2€, and they process you fast. Immigration in was easy too, he only questioned where I was staying and how long I was saying, no proof needed.

I took bus 300Э to the city center. Bus ticket machine in terminal had english menu option and also took Visa. The purchase even codes as travel, so you can get your 3x points on your CSR for that $2.38 fare! Very easy.

Alfa-Bank ATM next to the bus ticket machine worked well with both my Visa and MasterCard, no fees whatsoever, and interbank exchange rate applied with no fees.

I stayed at the Renaissance. Took local trolley bus # 36 from in front of the train station (across the street from where the bus drops off) to across from the hotel. BYN 0.60 paid to the driver, easy. There is a trolley/bus stop right in front of the Renaissance for any local trips.

For the return to the airport, I took the metro to Urucca and the 300Э bus from there. The bus ticket machine at Urucca was broken, but I paid cash to the driver, he made change, no problem.

All good. Go for it. Minsk is quite interesting.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by fbruno
Grodno (a city in the northwest of Belarus) is already visa free since October 2016.
When researching this area there may be bit of confusion since two variations of the name are used (Grodno and Hrodna), but they refer to the same area and city. For example: "Tourists will also be able to visit adjacent districts of Hrodna region as well as the city of Hrodna (population 300,000) visa-free"

https://belarusdigest.com/story/bela...free-entrance/
Old Sep 26, 2017, 5:01 pm

possible visa-free stays up to 10 days by 2019

Belarus is considering extending visa-free stays to ten days, according to Deputy Sports and Tourism Minister Mikhail Portnoi. "The work is underway. We need more than five days....Five days is too short a period of time," he explained.

http://eng.belta.by/society/view/hop...s-105253-2017/
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:04 pm

Belarus is considering extending visa-free stays to ten days, according to Deputy Sports and Tourism Minister Mikhail Portnoi. "The work is underway. We need more than five days....Five days is too short a period of time," he explained.

http://eng.belta.by/society/view/hop...s-105253-2017/
Considering that Minsk is not the easiest airport to fly into, opening up the visa-free entrance on land-entrances (road or rail) would be quite nice as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.