FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Print Wikipost

Where to stay in Warsaw.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2016, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Where to stay in Warsaw.

Currently looking at a three night break to Warsaw and after a little advice with regard to where to stay.

We have been looking at The Westin, Intercontinental, Sofitel and Hilton as would like a hotel with some decent facilities but our primary objective is to be in (short) walking distance for the old town.

Essentially, do any hotels stand out either because of their location or for their quality?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Old Nov 18, 2016, 1:29 pm

Stayed at the Westin Warsaw about 2 years ago and it was nicer than expected. I didnt really take advantage of any facilities to comment though, but it had a big grand lobby and plenty of things going on around the property.

They were working on many new buildings in that area at the time. I'd say it was about a 15+ min walk to the old town area. The Hilton is probably OK, but its a bit further away. Unless there was a big reason I'd suggest the Westin / Intercontinental area is probably better. I had no problems getting around and there are plenty of restaurants and stuff near the hotels.

Overall, I was a bit disappointed in the Old Town though. Not sure what i expected, but there really wasnt that much to see and it was smaller than portrayed. Spent a good afternoon having lunch and then walking through it, but there wasnt much more than that. Typical tourist stores and street vendors.

Have fun!
Old Nov 18, 2016, 3:30 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
It's been several years since I stayed at the Intercontinental, but it is lovely and they had a great Mexican restaurant called Frida's (as in Frida Kahlo); it appears that this restaurant is no longer there.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
It's been several years since I stayed at the Intercontinental, but it is lovely and they had a great Mexican restaurant called Frida's (as in Frida Kahlo); it appears that this restaurant is no longer there.
Many thanks for this.

Anybody else with other views?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by Hawes7701
Currently looking at a three night break to Warsaw and after a little advice with regard to where to stay.

We have been looking at The Westin, Intercontinental, Sofitel and Hilton as would like a hotel with some decent facilities but our primary objective is to be in (short) walking distance for the old town.

Essentially, do any hotels stand out either because of their location or for their quality?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
Of the four, the Sofitel is actually the closest to the Old Town. However, I haven't stayed there. It just looks too much what the "premier" hotel in Warsaw would look like under communist rule. The Hilton and Westin are the furthest away (Hilton being the most far). And there is nothing special about the areas in their surroundings. However, I love the InterContinental. It's my favorite hotel in the city. It may not be "close" to the Old Town, but there is a lot more to do in that area, particularly at night. Plus, it is one of the tallest buildings in the city. So the rooms have great views--particularly the east-facing ones.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Of the four, the Sofitel is actually the closest to the Old Town. However, I haven't stayed there. It just looks too much what the "premier" hotel in Warsaw would look like under communist rule. The Hilton and Westin are the furthest away (Hilton being the most far). And there is nothing special about the areas in their surroundings. However, I love the InterContinental. It's my favorite hotel in the city. It may not be "close" to the Old Town, but there is a lot more to do in that area, particularly at night. Plus, it is one of the tallest buildings in the city. So the rooms have great views--particularly the east-facing ones.
That's great. I was leaning toward the IC so think that seals it.

Appreciate you help.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 8:42 am

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
IC is great indeed, especially the top-floor pool! Great rates at Fridays-Saturdays too (often available for 60-70 EUR/night incl breakfast, a steal).

Walking to the old town is a leisurely 15-20 min stroll. Location is great, as Warsaw is so much more actually than just the old town to sightsee, eat and drink! In this aspect it's very centrally located.
Old Nov 20, 2016, 11:52 pm

Programs: Miles&More IHG
We did sofitel and westin.. from those two, westin is clearly superior.
We were always passing through.. never visiting so I don't have any idea about the time it takes to walk to the center however taxi is quite cheap so I wouldn't worry about that.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:26 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Plenty of good non-chain hotels as well. If you want to be really close to the Old Town then Mamaison Le Regina is very nice, as is the Bristol (arguably the most famous hotel in the city). Two other very nice ones a bit further from the Old Town but still easy to get to are the Polonia Palace and Rialto.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
I too would say if you want to be near the old town then mamaison rather than the IC or the Hilton

What I am not sure about is why so keen to stay near the old town in warsaw

The IC is right beside the warsaw palace of culture and science
Old Nov 22, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I stayed at the Westin back in 2004 and remember being very impressed about how nice it was.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I stayed at the Westin back in 2004 and remember being very impressed about how nice it was.
The Westin is a nice hotel. It's just that there is nothing special in the area surroundng the hotel (except maybe the market hall-- which isn't much to begin with).
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:45 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
Hard Rock cafe is on walking distance
Old Nov 23, 2016, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by STBCypriot
[OT] The restaurant is in Nowy Świat, the street leading to the old town and one of the busiest tourist hotspots, packed with bars, cafés & restaurants. [/OT]

That aside and back to main topic, if the OP is looking to stay as close as possible to stare miasto, then the Sofitel could easily fit the bill. The OP may want to look at this review from our friend Goldorak, who stayed at the hotel during our last AF-KL-AZ do in Warsaw.

G

Last edited by AlicorporateUK; Nov 23, 2016 at 2:31 am
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:07 am

One more positive experience with the Westin...and lukewarm feeling about Old Town. I'd recommend positioning yourself near public transport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.