Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

VIE departure questions

VIE departure questions

Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

VIE departure questions

Hi, my flight Monday 24 October leaves for AMS at 5:20pm on OS. A few questions:

1. Is arriving at VIE at 3:20 (2 hours ahead) enough time to check in and go through security? I don't like being rushed but I also don't want to arrive 5 hours early. So I'm looking for a conservative estimate of time to arrive at VIE.

2. I will be taking the S7 from Wien Mitte. What time should I be on the commuter rail for my 5:20pm flight to AMS?

3. Can I buy the S7 ticket to VIE ahead of time like when I arrive at VIE so I don't have to do it on the day I leave?

Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
When I was there in August, I arrived a little less than 2 hours ahead of time and had a little time to visit the lounge before my flight. Note, being *Gold, there was a premier security line, and there was no one in it. I'm sure that helped.

For the S7, I don't recall the travel time, but I found an estimate online somewhere. I want to say it was maybe 30 minutes but worth double checking. I had a little trouble transferring TO the S7 - got a little lost. It probably depends on where you're coming from.

I bought the ticket from the U-bahn station kiosk a block from my hotel when I left. It was very easy, you have an option to select "Airport" and it sells you the two-zone ticket. It took all of about 2 minutes. But I can't answer your question of whether it can be purchased in advance. Sorry!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Thanks. I will be on the regular security line at VIE.

I bought the ticket from the U-bahn station kiosk a block from my hotel when I left. It was very easy, you have an option to select "Airport" and it sells you the two-zone ticket.
I can look at the ticket machine at at U bahn station to see if I can buy a combined airport commuter rail/ubahn ticket in advance. Thanks.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Thanks. I will be on the regular security line at VIE.

I can look at the ticket machine at at U bahn station to see if I can buy a combined airport commuter rail/ubahn ticket in advance. Thanks.
They changed the fare system recently, so I'm not sure if it still applies, but previously you could - after choosing your trip and before pressing the final "ok" - if it should be valid right away or at a later stage. In this case you have to make them "active" by placing the into the blue or orange validator machines you can find around train or subway stations.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 12:49 pm

What is GOLD? I have a first class ticket on Austrian Airlines. Does that offer any faster checkin and security?
Old Mar 17, 2018, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by profguy
What is GOLD? I have a first class ticket on Austrian Airlines. Does that offer any faster checkin and security?
OS doesn't offer First Class on its flights. It has Business Class.
If you have a Business Class ticket then you can use the premium check-in line(s) and at security if offered at that airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.