Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Geneva Airport - Clueless travellers?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 6:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Question Geneva Airport - Clueless travellers?

I have been living in Geneva for a year now and as a frequent traveller for work, I am baffled by the apparent cluelessness at security of my fellow travellers...

I can't think of any other airport in Europe where air passengers act as if they have never gone through security before. Every time (without fail) when I am going through security, approx two-thirds of the people in front of me either forget to remove their liquids and electronics from their bags (or from the baffled looks on their faces don't seem to be aware that they need to be removed for screening).

After a year of experiencing this, quite frankly I am baffled. It's not as if Geneva is in the middle of nowhere. Surely this isn't the first time flying for all these people.

Any ideas?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 11:21 am

Programs: BA EC Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by shogan1977
Any ideas?
Don't post whilst tired and emotional?
Old Oct 11, 2016, 2:40 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Think you've got it bad? My local airport is LTN!
Old Oct 15, 2016, 11:28 am

I have been living in Geneva for a year now and as a frequent traveller for work, I am baffled by the apparent cluelessness at security of my fellow travellers...

I can't think of any other airport in Europe where air passengers act as if they have never gone through security before. Every time (without fail) when I am going through security, approx two-thirds of the people in front of me either forget to remove their liquids and electronics from their bags (or from the baffled looks on their faces don't seem to be aware that they need to be removed for screening).

After a year of experiencing this, quite frankly I am baffled. It's not as if Geneva is in the middle of nowhere. Surely this isn't the first time flying for all these people.

Any ideas?
I think this is a bit overwrought. I've seen the exact behavior you describe at several European airports, including my two favorites, MUC and ZRH. This behavior even occurs in the priority lanes which is supposed to be for frequent fliers.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
After a year of experiencing this, quite frankly I am baffled. It's not as if Geneva is in the middle of nowhere.
Pretty much the same at any airport I go thru security.

Surely this isn't the first time flying for all these people.
No. The world is full of people with goldfish memory and/or the IQ of an ikea coffee table*. What else would explain, that (subjectively) 3/4 of drivers in central Europe are "surprised" by the first snow and fail to put adequate tires on their cars?

*To proof my point: Check out the sheer amount of people sharing photos of their credit cards and boarding passes on Instagram, Twitter, etc... . An afternoon of fun for any prankster and a wet dream for any criminal.
Old Oct 16, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I just came through FRA. Security was in general fine, but the guy two in front of me spent about 5 minutes messing around. He'ed pull one item out of his pocket, then something out of another then back to the previous one to pull something else out.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 5:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: M&M SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by catandmouse
I just came through FRA. Security was in general fine, but the guy two in front of me spent about 5 minutes messing around. He'ed pull one item out of his pocket, then something out of another then back to the previous one to pull something else out.
I am at a loss in such situations
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:23 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
I am at a loss in such situations
I'd forgotten Rule 1:
Never get in line behind me. I'm always in the slowest moving line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.