Wiki Posts
Search

Five hour layover in AMS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Five hour layover in AMS

As the title suggests I have a lot of time on my hands next Sunday. How partical is it to spend some time in the city. I know that there is a train station at the airport. Will I have any problems just leaving the airport and then re-entering through departures security? I take it that my broading pass will be scanned. it this likely to throw an error. I will also have checked a bag at my initial airport?

CT
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Castleford Tiger
As the title suggests I have a lot of time on my hands next Sunday. How partical is it to spend some time in the city. I know that there is a train station at the airport. Will I have any problems just leaving the airport and then re-entering through departures security? I take it that my broading pass will be scanned. it this likely to throw an error. I will also have checked a bag at my initial airport?

CT
One cheerful observation just to help. I had a similar layover there earlier this year, with no lounge access, and found the food outlets very unsatisfactory. I had a horrible snack so if you have the time and the energy get into town even if just for a meal.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I wouldn't expect you'd have any problems, as long as you have the appropriate passport or whatever you need to enter the country. There are all kinds of reasons to go outside of security at an airport. As long as you are checked in and show up on time for your next flight, should be fine.

The train is very easy, maybe 15-20 minutes to Centraal. From there it's just a few minutes to walk to the Jordaan, or down Damrak, or wherever you'd like to have lunch.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Thankd guys. Thats it settled, I will go into the city.

CT
Old Sep 13, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
What is your origin and destination? That will determine to a great extent the amount of time you'll need to go through all the checks on arrival and departure.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:31 am

Programs: TK CP, Lapsed DL FO, Mr. <3Vacations Free Rider, Numerous programs
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
What is your origin and destination? That will determine to a great extent the amount of time you'll need to go through all the checks on arrival and departure.
I know this is a few months old now, but I have a similar, but longer layover on my return. Dubai>AMS layover then on to MIA in the U.S. because I'm traveling from UAE to AMS then on to US will I need to budget for additional time/security?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by <3vacations
I know this is a few months old now, but I have a similar, but longer layover on my return. Dubai>AMS layover then on to MIA in the U.S. because I'm traveling from UAE to AMS then on to US will I need to budget for additional time/security?
You started a dedicated thread and now you continue in this one. Since you got answers that should have given you a lot of security, why are you trying your best to get an answer from a super pessimist by asking sort of the same again and again? Just take the train, visit Amsterdam and plan to be at the airport about 2 hours before your next flight at the latest. And calm down, you worry way too much!
Old Nov 8, 2018, 9:36 am

Programs: FB Gold
I'm doing this next week (LYS-AMS-BUD). I have been to Schipol dozens of time in my life but I've never actually visited the city itself, and I frankly don't fancy spending 5+ hours in the Crown Lounge again. My flight to BUD departs at 9pm, when should I be getting back to the airport, considering that it's a Schengen flight and I have SkyP? I was thinking taking the train around 7.30pm but that might be pushing it a little bit...
Old Nov 9, 2018, 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by RabbitIYH
I'm doing this next week (LYS-AMS-BUD). I have been to Schipol dozens of time in my life but I've never actually visited the city itself, and I frankly don't fancy spending 5+ hours in the Crown Lounge again. My flight to BUD departs at 9pm, when should I be getting back to the airport, considering that it's a Schengen flight and I have SkyP? I was thinking taking the train around 7.30pm but that might be pushing it a little bit...
The line through security at schiphol is often veeeery long and takes a lot of time get through. I almost missed a flight because of that while arriving on time. I would ask the workers there if they think its enough for or a 1.5 hour time or longer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.