Wiki Posts
Search

Adapter for Electronics..

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2016, 7:21 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Adapter for Electronics..

hey folks headed to Czech, Hungary, Austria, Ukraine, and Russia. Anyone know if a standard Europe adapter will cover all my electronics in those countries?

Thanks.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Yes. You'll get by with one adapter.
Exception: In some older (Soviet-era) Russian and Ukrainian buildings you may still encounter installations following the USSR "GOST-7396" standard, which is largely compatible to the European standard, but designed for plugs with a pin diameter of only 4mm instead of the 4.8mm prongs the CE standard specifies. This will be a bit of a tight fit.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Most Soviet-era outlets have been replaced with Schuko-type ones. Those that have not have the same prong size as the outlets in Italy and Switzerland (which are smaller than the Schuko plugs).
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Awesome, thanks!!!!
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by AlphaMan
hey folks headed to Czech, Hungary, Austria, Ukraine, and Russia. Anyone know if a standard Europe adapter will cover all my electronics in those countries?
A word of caution if you plan to buy one of these multi-standard adapters: Several years ago I bought one of them on a KLM flight for "only" 16 €. When I proudly showed it to one of my collaborators, he showed me back his. It looked exactly the same (with the exception of an "invisible" pilot light); he had bought it in Heraklion for 1.60 €
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:11 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Yes. You'll get by with one adapter.
Exception: In some older (Soviet-era) Russian and Ukrainian buildings you may still encounter installations following the USSR "GOST-7396" standard, which is largely compatible to the European standard, but designed for plugs with a pin diameter of only 4mm instead of the 4.8mm prongs the CE standard specifies. This will be a bit of a tight fit.
In which case, choosing an adaptor with a split in the prongs (as some have) can be helpful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.