Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old speeding ticket in Amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2017, 10:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The distinction between criminal and civil is also largely irrelevant when it comes to a debt owed to the government as it relates to admissibility.

One of the key considerations for admission is whether you are law-abiding and whether you will become a financial burden to the government.

While there is, of course, a vast difference between a minor traffic offense and a serious crime, absconding as to the former shows a lack of respect for a country's laws (at least in the eyes of some nations). Not paying one's debts to the government suggests that one might not pay other debts to the government.

The border is an easy time to collect these unpaid amounts as the options are few.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
Yes, and a massage! Missed connection due to beeing held at immigration means that YOU pay (a lot) not the airline, which is not involved in either issuing or not paying the traffic ticket: missing the flight means (plane) ticket cancelled; as simple as that.
If you're getting hold up at immigration (because of long queues, or because they want to extra-tight check you because the officer thinks you're "suspicious") on a connection that is near MCT, and you're subsequently missing the flight with no fault of your own, then duty of care (at least) applies.

However, in this case, where you're getting hold up for unpaid speeding tickets, the situation might turn 180 degrees. Just to clarify
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
The distinction between criminal and civil is also largely irrelevant when it comes to a debt owed to the government as it relates to admissibility.

One of the key considerations for admission is whether you are law-abiding and whether you will become a financial burden to the government.

While there is, of course, a vast difference between a minor traffic offense and a serious crime, absconding as to the former shows a lack of respect for a country's laws (at least in the eyes of some nations). Not paying one's debts to the government suggests that one might not pay other debts to the government.

The border is an easy time to collect these unpaid amounts as the options are few.
The exploitation of ports of entry -- or exit -- as a dragnet point to collect money from travelers has very little to nothing to do with being admissible. It's about trying to collect the money.

And the distinction between criminal and civil does matter even in various civil-law/code jurisdictions. Even in relation to the nature of the financial debts. And it certainly does matter to an individual traveling who may or may not have money to settle on the spot.

The OP indicates having been stopped at AMS, but the OP apparently was going to be back at AMS again after that initial stop. It's sounds like the OP may have been admitted into the Schengen area even as an unpaid fine was noted at AMS.

Last edited by GUWonder; Mar 16, 2017 at 7:08 pm
Old May 23, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui
I got a letter here in the US with a 70 Euro speeding ticket forgoing 12km over, reduced to 9km over in Otterlo. I rented the car at Alamo in Amsterdam. I have till the end of this month to reply and I'm thinking about just ignoring it.
So, hoping to pass undetected at immigration, I used a Brazilian passport to enter the Netherlands as the time when I got the ticket I had used a US passport, but they caught me! The immigration officer called a cop who led me to a room where I attempted to pay for the ticket, but the cc machine wasn't working and the cop said that paying cash was too complicated. So he let me go!!! Dank ye vel.

I was a bit concerned that the story would repeat itself at departure, but after seeing my Brazilian passport the immigration officer said "obrigado", and I replied "bom dia".
Old May 23, 2019, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for reporting back. It definitely doesn't work that way with German speeding tickets.
GUWonder likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.