Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

No Mövenpick stores in Zurich?

Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Movenpick is a Swiss ice cream brand, so I would have thought they would have lots of stores in Zurich.
On Google some of the stores listed don't exist (cause I walked to it), the restaurant I didn't go into (I presume they serve ice cream), and there was one in the train station (but looked prepackaged).

Are there standard ice cream shops or is that not a Swiss thing to do?
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Diamond; Sprüngli Connaisseur
There's a Mövenpick shop down by the lake near the Bellevue tram stop. It's pretty good. It can get pretty busy on a nice day though.

Mostly you'll have your ice cream at a restaurant at the end of dinner for dessert in Switzerland.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:19 am
Original Poster

I guess there's no tradition of ice cream shops, like the old parlours?

I did see one in the train station, but it didn't appear that appealing.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
I guess there's no tradition of ice cream shops, like the old parlours?

I did see one in the train station, but it didn't appear that appealing.
Not really here in Zürich. We have coffee shops instead. Sprüngli, at Paradaplatz, has a really nice one.

The Mövenpick shop at Bellevue is a little bit more like an American ice cream shop. And, on a nice day you can just take the ice cream and head to the lake.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 1:58 am

I guess there's no tradition of ice cream shops, like the old parlours?...
When you say tradition you mean American tradition! I could also ask why is there no tradition of coffee shops in the US (obviously I don't include Starbucks among traditional coffee shops ).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 4:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
When you say tradition you mean American tradition! I could also ask why is there no tradition of coffee shops in the US (obviously I don't include Starbucks among traditional coffee shops ).
Starbucks is definitely an exported "tradition"!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 8:37 pm

Starbucks is definitely an exported "tradition"!
I'm glad there are Starbucks in the States: before them, coffee was absolutely undrinkable (black, hot, tasteless liquid), while theirs is simply drinkable. Moreover, they initiated a trend, such that you now find places with better quality coffee almost everywhere.

On the other hand, Starbucks in Europe, in countries that always had good coffee: An example of how mimicking the American way of life can lead to a degradation of local habits and traditions (in the real sense of the word!).
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:41 am

You're more likely to find Mövenpick stands within stores or cafes - Coop St Annahof just down the road from the main station, for example.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
You're more likely to find Mövenpick stands within stores or cafes - Coop St Annahof just down the road from the main station, for example.
Is the ice cream there different than just buying it in a store?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:06 pm

Another thing is that most restaurants in Switzerland will actually do a pretty decent sundae. Especially when you're in the mountains, where they'll sometimes have locally made ice cream.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Aren't there two Moevenpicks close to each other, one near Paradeplatz/Bellevue (though in a sidestreet if I remember right) and one near Stadelhofen? I definitely remember them being there 1-2 years ago
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Smiley90
Aren't there two Moevenpicks close to each other, one near Paradeplatz/Bellevue (though in a sidestreet if I remember right) and one near Stadelhofen? I definitely remember them being there 1-2 years ago
The one in Bellevue is not far from the tram stop, but not very near Paradeplatz, though you might be confusing it with Sechseläutenplatz, which it is near. I haven't been to the one near Stadelhofen, but Google maps suggests there is one there.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by greg5
The one in Bellevue is not far from the tram stop, but not very near Paradeplatz, though you might be confusing it with Sechseläutenplatz, which it is near. I haven't been to the one near Stadelhofen, but Google maps suggests there is one there.
The one at Stadelhofen is very close (if I remember right next to) the bookstore&cinema. It's also pretty much just an ice cream parlor, so more of what the OP was looking for.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.