Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Greece - Maybe Milos - One week getaway advice?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2016, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Hey all,

I'm looking to jump over to Greece to renew my A3G and to just chill out for a week. I was recommended Milos by a friend who said its less touristy, and has some nice beaches. There aren't any major hotel chains there so looks like like AirBnBs or local guest houses for accommodation - all seem to be hovering around 100 euros per night which is steep for what you get.

I'm also an avid scuba diver, but besides the water being super clear, I haven't seen anything too breathtaking out there worth seeing. Maybe something to skip on this trip?

What are you thoughts? As it's my first time over to Greece, I'm not sure what to expect. Im mainly looking to chill at a nice resort with a few day trips in between. Any suggestions?

Sorry in advance about the general question. I'm still doing some research and wanted to toss something up here in case anyone has some good advice in the meantime.

Thanks all.
-B
Old Jul 24, 2016, 8:26 pm

As you were told, Milos is a very nice island with lots of small nice beaches. Having a small rental car would make everything easier for you. From the prices you quote, my guess is that you're planning to go there in August. All islands are going to have high prices that time of year, they go down substantially after ~15 September (the weather is still good). As for scuba diving, check to see whether it is available at Milos or any other island you might choose: it is not the most frequent pastime in Greece, perhaps there is, as you write, nothing breath-taking there.

Finally, for your choice of islands, I personally categorise islands in three groups: those I'd avoid (e.g. Ios, Mykonos, Santorini) due to overcrowding and too much bar-hopping and hip-kind of vacation, those where you find other things to do as well (e.g. Syros, Naxos, Paros) and finally the remaining ones where you only go if you just want to relax. Of course there are also the big ones (e.g. Corfu, Crete, Rhodes) that are a "combination of the three classes mentioned", or the ones that I personally like a lot (e.g. XXXXXX, YYYYYY, ZZZZZ, whose names I never propose to tourists because I want them to be empty in case I decide to go back myself )

Bottom line: If you avoid the June-early September period, all Greek islands are great and you'll have a marvellous time.

Last edited by KLouis; Jul 27, 2016 at 8:49 pm
Old Jul 27, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
We went to Milos a couple years ago and loved it. Many unique beaches and interesting places to explore and relax. Many good restaurants with very reasonable prices. It wasn't crowded at all, even in the middle of August. You do need a rental car although driving is very easy on that island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.