Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam: scooters on bike path?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Amsterdam: scooters on bike path?

Anyone can shed some light into why motorized scooters are permitted on the bike paths? Outside the center the sign is clearly marked with both scooters and bikes, though in the center it seems only bike (but scooters go anyway).

There is a large speed differential between bikes and scooters and it seems unsafe. In addition scooters are noisy and smelly (because they have an exhaust and pollute) and aren't clean.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 6:02 pm

For that matter, I have never understood why bicycles are allowed on pedestrian paths / sidewalks in many places, particularly in the US.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:16 pm

Maybe some (the non-smelly ones) are small electric scooters? These can be treated much like bikes on local streets in certain US and UK cities.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:30 pm

Bike paths have nothing to do with smell or noise! They're supposed to be there for the safety of bikers. Perhaps the scooters admitted are only those that I remember from many years ago, which won't go faster than 25 km/hr, a speed easily attained (and often exceeded) by bikers.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by druck
For that matter, I have never understood why bicycles are allowed on pedestrian paths / sidewalks in many places, particularly in the US.
Well, in the US firstly many places do not allow bikes. They just do what they want.
Secondly US mainly does not have bike paths.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
Bike paths have nothing to do with smell or noise! They're supposed to be there for the safety of bikers. Perhaps the scooters admitted are only those that I remember from many years ago, which won't go faster than 25 km/hr, a speed easily attained (and often exceeded) by bikers.
Nope, these are the types of scooters commonly used in Asia. You can hit 80km/h if you want.
Just a motorcycle with a smaller engine and no need to shift gears manually.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 1:03 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
My experience there is that they've never caused me any problem - they're only allowed out of town, where the oaths are open and wide, and they're a relatively vulnerable form of transport on some of the fast Dutch roads too.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:21 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Well, in the US firstly many places do not allow bikes. They just do what they want.
Secondly US mainly does not have bike paths.
Bikes are allowed nearly everywhere in the US, except for on highways. By law, they are supposed to stay on the roads or allowed bike paths, and follow the same rules as motorists. But they receive special treatment. Laws are never followed nor enforced for bikes in most of the US. So I agree when you say they do what they want.

I've never been bothered by scooters, and it's probably safer for everyone if they can use bike paths.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Scooters are not only allowed on bike paths in Amsterdam, they are required to use them. The reasoning goes like this: Cars are faster than scooters so that's dangerous to scooter drivers. That scooters are faster than bikes and that that's dangerous to cyclists seems to be no concern. To make things more interesting, the regulation is specific to each city in the Netherlands.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
Bikes are allowed nearly everywhere in the US, except for on highways. By law, they are supposed to stay on the roads or allowed bike paths, and follow the same rules as motorists. But they receive special treatment. Laws are never followed nor enforced for bikes in most of the US. So I agree when you say they do what they want.

I've never been bothered by scooters, and it's probably safer for everyone if they can use bike paths.
The law varies depending on municipality. Sometimes they are allowed to use sidewalks. Sometimes not.

But it isn't safer for everyone if scooters. Obviously it isn't safer for bikes.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mfkne
Scooters are not only allowed on bike paths in Amsterdam, they are required to use them. The reasoning goes like this: Cars are faster than scooters so that's dangerous to scooter drivers. That scooters are faster than bikes and that that's dangerous to cyclists seems to be no concern. To make things more interesting, the regulation is specific to each city in the Netherlands.
Interesting. I just looked it up. Supposedly there was a new law going to be passed in 2015 that bans them from bike paths and puts them (and helmets) onto the regular road. But I guess not?

Funny how Netherlands has trouble regulating scooters. Similar to how they run wild in Asia (just that not as many people ride scooters in the Netherlands simply because there aren't as many people).
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Outside Amsterdam, I have seen scooters, pizza delivery riders, and motorbikes all use the bike paths, usually without helmets.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:57 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You don't need a helmet if the scooter is regulated to max 25KM/h. Normal scooters, are allowed to go a max speed of 45km/h but a helmet is obligatory. Police does do checks, but there has been a huge surge in the use of scooters and mopeds lately, so they're lagging behind a bit. If police finds a scooter to be going over their max allowed speed, it will be confiscated.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:07 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
In some places they do now require the scooters to go on the car road rather than the bike path, but not nearly everywhere no, and to be honest even if they do many scooters will prefer to just take the bike path anyway.

I have personally rarely felt unsafe because of scooters, just make sure to let them pass and it'll be no problem. And if they can't pass because the bike lane is to small, and they get anxious to pass you, do it the amsterdam way and wish some 17th century disease upon them in an Amsterdam accent and cycle extra slowly, haha.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:16 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The regulations on scooters are a bit of a mess, and there's lots of discussion on them using the bike lines....

Formally there are 2 categories of scooters:
- blue license plates : max 25 km/h, no helmet, and need to use the bike lanes
- yellow license plates: max 45 km/h , helmet, need to use road (or on scooter lane if available, then max 30 km/h)

The city of Amsterdam has been trying to get all scooters banned on bike lines for a number of years, but it hasn't materialized yet.

And whatever the regulations, people will most likely still do whatever the hell they wan in Amsterdam since fining them seems low priority.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.