Amsterdam: scooters on bike path?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amsterdam: scooters on bike path?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:32 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
You will only ever get fined if you run into one of those control operations. And generally yo ucan see them coming from a mile away and will just go back.

Its the same with bikes and running through red light, riding without lights etc. Yes there are controls sometimes but generally you can see them coming. And if you are cycling without light and a police car passes by, they won't even bother you.

I only got fined once for running a red light while I (like everyone) do so all the time, and I never ride with lights and never got a fine (well, as a kid I got a measly 20 eur fine, haha).
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thomas199023
You don't need a helmet if the scooter is regulated to max 25KM/h. Normal scooters, are allowed to go a max speed of 45km/h but a helmet is obligatory. Police does do checks, but there has been a huge surge in the use of scooters and mopeds lately, so they're lagging behind a bit. If police finds a scooter to be going over their max allowed speed, it will be confiscated.
Yea, but in 2 days I never saw one police. And they definitely are going over 25km/h, because they go faster than a fast bicyclist, who can do 20mi/h (which is 34km/h).

Plus scooters with 2 passengers are a bit wide to share the bike lane.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 3:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The city of Amsterdam has some fact and figures on their site (you made me look):

- 57.000 scooters (27000 yellow/ 30000 blue in Amsterdam)
- 81% of scooter drivers go faster than allowed
- 22% of those aged 16-17 drive without the required license.

So they are a PITA.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Let's not forget how many robberies involve perpetrators using scooters to flee from the scene.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
The scooters in Amsterdam are one of the few noticeable hazards; the riders go at high speed (as discussed above), may well flout signs, not give way as they should, and so on. Since many are scofflaws (by doing all these things), they then feel uninhibited in committing other crimes, such as assault.

The most serious injury I know of anyone in Amsterdam was a former colleague who was hit by a scooter in a cycle lane. The scooter riders then stopped and kicked his head in because their scooter had been damaged. He returned to work after several months of recovery, still not walking normally and with the shape of his skull changed enough that his eyes were now a different shape and he didn't require reading glasses any more!

Amsterdam is a pretty safe place apart from the scooters, and the somewhat higher chance of being mugged in the side streets of the red light district. Everything else there is mostly harmless.

I can't wait for the day they are banned from the cycle paths and this is properly enforced.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
I for one can't wait until they're banned, full stop. They add no value whatsoever, but tons of noise and air pollution.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:18 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Dream on.... never going to happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.