Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lower prices in Turkey?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Lower prices in Turkey?

I imagine tourist traffic is down in Turkey as a result of recent incidents. Is this likely to translate into lower costs for either TK flights or hotel rates in Turkey?

So far I have not seen any dent in prices or tactical sales - either for TK flights or for prices of chain hotels (SPG, IHG, HH etc)
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:10 pm

Not sure from where you are flying and where you are looking. German travel sites currently offer one week at a 5* in Kemer all inclusive including flight and transfer for 260 EUR, which seems incredibly cheap.

Last edited by stut; Jul 21, 2016 at 12:22 pm Reason: Removed link
Old Jul 13, 2016, 2:46 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by phoochka
So far I have not seen any dent in prices or tactical sales - either for TK flights or for prices of chain hotels (SPG, IHG, HH etc)
I was under the impression, that TK was dumping prices already months ago. TK was rather often the cheapest airline for several Western Europe to East coast trips despite the fact that you make a huge detour.

The tourism industry tanked too. The all-inclusive resorts catered for many Russians and Europeans. The former have become more scarce given that the ruble depreciated heavily hence making trips abroad more expensive. The latter have become more worried about security.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA/AA
I just got back from two weeks on the Turkish Mediterranean coast between Antalya and Fethiye. Prices were not meaningfully depressed for hotels and restaurants. Where prices were lower, it had more to do with the declining Turkish lira rather than the political situation.

The first week I was there, the place was completely deserted. But, once schools let out, Turkish travellers filled the coast, and everything was quite busy. I saw only a small number of international visitors.

You'll probably find lodging deals at the big online European travel consolidators like Thomas Cook and TUI.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
Rebooked my upcoming stay at the Grand Hyatt Istanbul because rates dropped. Saved over 200 euros.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Attempted military coup in Turkey. Should be interesting to see what this does to tourism. I don't expect it to encourage me to visit, but falling prices may be enticing.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Attempted military coup in Turkey. Should be interesting to see what this does to tourism. I don't expect it to encourage me to visit, but falling prices may be enticing.
No longer just attempted, but successful.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by wrp96
No longer just attempted, but successful.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/16/wo...says.html?_r=0

It's not over yet.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 1:07 am
Suspended

Coup or no coup I still wouldn't return to Turkey.
Beautiful country,not so beautiful people especially if you're a woman,ethnic minority or journalist.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: QR Gold/Gulf Air Gold/UA Gold
Thankfully unsuccessful coup. Not sure why you had a bad experience Clint Bint, but it is one of my favorite destinations to visit or in transit (courtesy of the TK flagship lounge). Definitely as others have done, take advantage of the offers available now and save money and enjoy.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by westmideast
Thankfully unsuccessful coup. Not sure why you had a bad experience Clint Bint, but it is one of my favorite destinations to visit or in transit (courtesy of the TK flagship lounge). Definitely as others have done, take advantage of the offers available now and save money and enjoy.
It seems that every time I fly with TK through IST, the plane invariably has to wait 1 hour on the ground after landing. Combine that with the lack of jet bridges (thereby necessitating the need to use buses) and the incredibly crowded terminal, I avoid IST like the plague. I would much rather go through AUH, DOH, or DXB in spite of the fact that I only have status with *A. Perhaps using TK will be better once the new airport is opened.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
The Turkish Lira is down 20% today. Given that many hotels quote prices in EUR there are no immediate savings, unlike what would be the case in other countries if a similar situation happened and where hotels charge in the local currency.

Is there anybody familiar with the Turkish hotel market who has some vague idea of how quickly/slowly the currency movement can make its way to hotel prices? I realize that different hotels will react differently so there is probably no single good answer, but I am just curious to hear about past experiences given that the TRL had hiccups not that long ago so some of you might remember what happened.
karenkay likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by escape4
The Turkish Lira is down 20% today. Given that many hotels quote prices in EUR there are no immediate savings, unlike what would be the case in other countries if a similar situation happened and where hotels charge in the local currency.

Is there anybody familiar with the Turkish hotel market who has some vague idea of how quickly/slowly the currency movement can make its way to hotel prices? I realize that different hotels will react differently so there is probably no single good answer, but I am just curious to hear about past experiences given that the TRL had hiccups not that long ago so some of you might remember what happened.
Real pricing will never get reflected in online hotel prices. Hotels price in either local currency or Euros.....but, it's the booking engines that always price in Euros/$. They'll just swallow up the savings.

It'll be no different than when the Mexican currency collapsed a few years ago. That never got reflected with online declines in price..

You might see something on the independent market like AirBnb.

Last edited by jaymar01; Aug 10, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Old Aug 11, 2018, 9:46 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by jaymar01
Real pricing will never get reflected in online hotel prices. Hotels price in either local currency or Euros.....but, it's the booking engines that always price in Euros/$. They'll just swallow up the savings.

It'll be no different than when the Mexican currency collapsed a few years ago. That never got reflected with online declines in price..

You might see something on the independent market like AirBnb.
To be honest, I find it hard to believe that free market forces would not eventually have an impact over time so perhaps you are a bit too strong with your use of the word "never". This would be equivalent to all hotels raising prices 20% all at once overnight and all of them enjoying higher profits. Someone is bound to reduce prices, for example by 10%, and get a greater volume of customers as a result at still profitable prices, even better prices than before the currency crash. Then others start to follow to avoid losing customers and soon you have a perfect example of competitive market dynamics if and when it happens.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 12:35 am

It also depends on how much of hotel's cost

a) is denominated in USD/EUR
b) has gone up due to lira devaluation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.