Wiki Posts
Search

New Year Break

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 6:51 am
Original Poster

New Year Break

Hi all

Looking for some inspiration for a destination over the new year. Have been looking at Athens amongst others. Not overly worried about any celebrations, so that has not impact on where we go. Departure would be from LHR preferably. Can anyone recommend Athens as a trip for 3 days?

I Appreciate this could have been posted elsewhere but the collective wisdom of the BA board is too hard to ignore!

Cheers
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond, Mucci de buveur de gin
I have just done 3 days in Athens - check my TR here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...ess-class.html

I'd thoroughly recommend it as a great city to visit. Yes, the weather won't be as nice over New Year but if that doesn't bother you then I'd go for it. I imagine there would be a pretty cool firework display from around the Acropolis area at the stroke of midnight (but don't quote me on that......)!
Old Jun 29, 2016, 8:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My only hesitation is that it's a long flight against the clock out there, so 3 days is at the lower end of the timeframe for me. But yes, the cradle of Western Civilisation has a huge amount to offer. Athens is in many ways a better place than it was a few years back, and will hopefully offer improved weather and more daylight than the UK. If you wanted somewhere similar but more centred for those in their 20s and 30s then perhaps Thessaloniki would be another option, it has a well developed street and café life, much under-rated as a city break location.

Orthodox Christmas is 7 January, but New Year is celebrated on the date you would expect.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:28 am
jmd

Programs: BAEC gold
Go to VCE - much shorter flight, cold crisp sunny days (usually!), fireworks over the lagoon, very few tourists, bliss...
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
RAK would in theory be a few degrees warmer if that's a priority, for the same flight time (but from LGW).
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Not been to ATH during New Year but did visit in the second week of January. The weather can be chilly but we had it mild and sunny which made walking around ten times easier than what we experienced during the heat of summer on another visit.
One of the nicest capital cities we've visited. Compact, good value all round with very friendly people.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:13 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

This thread had been moved to FlyerTalk's Europe forum.

Prospero
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:25 am

Also not been over NY, but have been for a weekend in January before. I didn't think it was too much flight for the time, though any more would have pushed it.

Nothing to add on the cultural side, but if the sun is out, it's worth spending a day taking the efficient new tram south down the coastline to Glyfada and Vouliagmeni - the coast line is beautiful and there is a thermal lake (Limni Vouliagmeni).

Uber is great in Athens ^
Old Jun 30, 2016, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
...Orthodox Christmas is 7 January, but New Year is celebrated on the date you would expect.
About half of the Orthodox churches in the world, including the Greek one, celebrate X;mad on December 25. And weather-wise, it could be as warm as 20 centigrade (or as cold as freezing). At any rate, yes, Athens is a good idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.