Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Query about being refused to fly

Query about being refused to fly

Old Jul 5, 2016, 6:50 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
IST and TK are notorious to not handle things well when things go South. So no surprises there. The fact that you found that one person who stuck his neck out is REALLY REALLY lucky.

My question is: as OP selected multiple, but was given single entry, could part of the blame be attributed to the visa issuing authority? If they are the ones to heavily scrutinise the documents, shouldn't they have seen this out/in?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
My question is: as OP selected multiple, but was given single entry, could part of the blame be attributed to the visa issuing authority? If they are the ones to heavily scrutinise the documents, shouldn't they have seen this out/in?
Not really, it is always up to the OP to check what visa he got, and what are the visa requirements for his travel.
It could have been an oversight by the visa issuing authority, to have missed the connection in the non-Schengen country and thus issuing a single entry visa, or it could have been so for some other reason.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by daKav

Yes. That is correct. You cant seem to get multiple entry when your itinerary has one planned entry.I wonder how it works for business travelers.

OT, but, my only problem with schengen visa is that they dont issue multiple entry, multiple year visa. That'd make my life so easy
This is not correct.

Yes you can get a multiple entry visa even when your itinerary has one planned entry only. This is often based on previous travel and can even been granted when it had not been requested.

And yes, you can get a multiple entry multi year visa, up to 5 years in fact. Ask for that when you next apply and motivate why you need (and why they should grant you) one.

Both of these do depend a bit on the Schengen country where you apply though, some give multiple entry visas more easily than others.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:20 am
Suspended

I flew into OSL last Tues morn, where my passport was stamped. I flew back to OSL from BGO(Bergen,domestic) then onto Vienna, then to Hamburg and finally from HAM to EWR. After showing my passport at OSL upon arrival the next time a non-airline personal wanted to see my PP was @ HAM before being let into the hold area at the far end of the F gates where my flight among a few others depart from.

At PP control @ HAM they did not stamp my PP for exiting but did check it and swipe it.

So it was if I arrived into JFK went thru CBP and flew all around the US before leaving the US = no PP needs to be shown except when checking in for a flight where Visas etc they dont check or care about, could be a DL would do as well. So the OP ran into trouble for having gone to IST or any place outside of the EU had they arranged a connection in any EU city they would have been fine, sort of like if you have a 1 entry into the US dont fly say LAX-MEX-JFK to get to NY.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dutchgirlDH
This is not correct.

Yes you can get a multiple entry visa even when your itinerary has one planned entry only. This is often based on previous travel and can even been granted when it had not been requested.

And yes, you can get a multiple entry multi year visa, up to 5 years in fact. Ask for that when you next apply and motivate why you need (and why they should grant you) one.

Both of these do depend a bit on the Schengen country where you apply though, some give multiple entry visas more easily than others.
This post aligns with what I've seen in practice.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 9:23 am

Please excuse my naivety - this thread freaked me out a bit as I have very little international travel experience. My family of 4 (US citizens) are booked on DL award tickets from the US to AMS-FCO-MLA. Because the final leg required an overnight stay that I didn't really want, I recently booked Air Malta AMS-MLA with cash, intending to just use that flight and not board the AMS-FCO (on Alitalia). I'm assuming I won't have any issues like the OP here, but wanted to make sure.

TIA
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:04 am

You shouldn't have visa issues, because AMS, FCO and MLA are all in the Schengen Area, and US citizens don't require a visa to enter the Schengen Area as tourists. The OP's problem was related to travelling between two places in the Schengen area via somewhere outside it, and so requiring a multiple entry visa.

However if your tickets back to the USA are on the same booking as the AMS-FCO and FCO-MLA flights you propose not to catch, you can have big problems of a different sort. Unless you get advance agreement from the airlines concerned, if you miss any of the sectors on a flight booking, all subsequent sectors are automatically cancelled.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Andy33
You shouldn't have visa issues, because AMS, FCO and MLA are all in the Schengen Area, and US citizens don't require a visa to enter the Schengen Area as tourists. The OP's problem was related to travelling between two places in the Schengen area via somewhere outside it, and so requiring a multiple entry visa.

However if your tickets back to the USA are on the same booking as the AMS-FCO and FCO-MLA flights you propose not to catch, you can have big problems of a different sort. Unless you get advance agreement from the airlines concerned, if you miss any of the sectors on a flight booking, all subsequent sectors are automatically cancelled.
Thanks, Andy - I appreciate the response. As for the return trip, it's a separate booking on a different airline.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 6:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Clearly the check-in agents at vce made a mistake of allowing op to board. They should have been denied at vce , where is would have been much easier for everyone and for op to make alternate arrangements.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, LH FTL, KL/AF Ivory
The problem for the OP wasn't IST or Turkey. He boarded a flight from VCE - IST and on doing so left the Schengen territory. The final destination didn't change anything.
It's a rather unusual routing which is probably why no-one spotted anything.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:43 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by craz
I flew into OSL last Tues morn, where my passport was stamped. I flew back to OSL from BGO(Bergen,domestic) then onto Vienna, then to Hamburg and finally from HAM to EWR. After showing my passport at OSL upon arrival the next time a non-airline personal wanted to see my PP was @ HAM before being let into the hold area at the far end of the F gates where my flight among a few others depart from.

At PP control @ HAM they did not stamp my PP for exiting but did check it and swipe it.

So it was if I arrived into JFK went thru CBP and flew all around the US before leaving the US = no PP needs to be shown except when checking in for a flight where Visas etc they dont check or care about, could be a DL would do as well. So the OP ran into trouble for having gone to IST or any place outside of the EU had they arranged a connection in any EU city they would have been fine, sort of like if you have a 1 entry into the US dont fly say LAX-MEX-JFK to get to NY.
All your destinations in Europe were in the Schengen area (Norway, Iceland and Switzerland are in the Schengen area even if outside the EU). Thus the Norwegian police did the border control for Austria and Germany as well. a quite different scenario than that of the OP who left the Schengen area (transiting in Turkey)
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ksu
All your destinations in Europe were in the Schengen area (Norway, Iceland and Switzerland are in the Schengen area even if outside the EU). Thus the Norwegian police did the border control for Austria and Germany as well. a quite different scenario than that of the OP who left the Schengen area (transiting in Turkey)
which was exactly my point. If the OP or anyone else wants to go between 2 countrys within the EU dont fly there via a 3rd country which isnt in the EU or the schengen area
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:41 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by craz
which was exactly my point. If the OP or anyone else wants to go between 2 countrys within the EU dont fly there via a 3rd country which isnt in the EU or the schengen area
It's not useful to mention the EU in this context, it has little relevance here: to be absolutely clear: don't fly via a non-Schengen country between any 2 Schengen countries, if you only have a single entry Schengen Visa.

(Switzerland is in Schengen but not EU, you won't cross the Schengen borders flying via Switzerland. The UK and Ireland are in the EU but not Schengen, you would cross the Schengen border if flying via the UK or Ireland.)
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by aa70274
Please excuse my naivety - this thread freaked me out a bit as I have very little international travel experience. My family of 4 (US citizens) are booked on DL award tickets from the US to AMS-FCO-MLA. Because the final leg required an overnight stay that I didn't really want, I recently booked Air Malta AMS-MLA with cash, intending to just use that flight and not board the AMS-FCO (on Alitalia). I'm assuming I won't have any issues like the OP here, but wanted to make sure.

TIA
Originally Posted by Andy33

I wasn't sure where to ask this - hopefully someone sees it and can help.

This trip is now around the corner. My family and I will be arriving AMS from the US on DL. We do have connecting award tickets AMS-FCO-MLA on Alitalia, but we will not be using them as I have purchased non-stop AMS-MLA on Air Malta. I recently read that Ryanair requires non-EU passport holders to check in at the ticket counter outside security even if they're not checking any luggage. My question is: Do we have to be worried about being denied boarding at the gate by Air Malta? Should we just plan on the hassle of exiting security to check in at the Air Malta ticket counter and going through security again?
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by aa70274
I wasn't sure where to ask this - hopefully someone sees it and can help.

This trip is now around the corner. My family and I will be arriving AMS from the US on DL. We do have connecting award tickets AMS-FCO-MLA on Alitalia, but we will not be using them as I have purchased non-stop AMS-MLA on Air Malta. I recently read that Ryanair requires non-EU passport holders to check in at the ticket counter outside security even if they're not checking any luggage. My question is: Do we have to be worried about being denied boarding at the gate by Air Malta? Should we just plan on the hassle of exiting security to check in at the Air Malta ticket counter and going through security again?
Your post is quite confusing!

1) How does Ryanair fit with your Air Malta flight?
2) Will you use your award AMS-FCO-MLA for the return? If yes, it will have been cancelled after your no-show. Why should you be denied boarding at the gate?
3) Why don't you check-in your Air malta flight using OLCI?
4) Will you have luggage? If yes, there is a big chance that DL will not check it through to MLA, in which case you'll have to retrieve it and check-in at the counter, then back to airside including a security check.

I may have missed something, but you see what I mean (I hope I was clear).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.