Community
Wiki Posts
Search

30+hours in Zurich

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2016, 4:02 pm
Original Poster

30+hours in Zurich

We're attending wedding this fall. Plan is to arrive Zurich Wednesday AM from Jfk and don't need to be in Schwyz until Thursday early evening (wedding all day Friday & Sat AM). Thought is to check into hotel near Zurich HB, nap a. Few hours, do Old town and then dinner, sleep, then visit/walk around town (do Bahnhofstrasse with mrs ?).

We'll then overnite again at Zurich airport Sunday night before early Monday flight home. So have Sunday also to spend in town sighting

Questions
Hotel suggestion for Thursday-- near Zurich HB...looking at swissotel, about 10 minute ride for train station on Google maps.
Ideas other than Old Town and Bahnhofstrasse....?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:52 am

Programs: AS; BA Silver; UA; HH Gold; Sprüngli Connaisseur
Have a look at this thread. There are plenty of good ideas in it.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...h-what-do.html
Old Jun 26, 2016, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by greg5
Have a look at this thread. There are plenty of good ideas in it.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...h-what-do.html
I did search and find this thread, many thanks.

But seemed to focus on:1) day trips out of city and we're scheduled to visit Schwyz and Luzerne for a few days; 2) places to eat.

But did see one suggestion to visit the 'hill': Üetliberg – Zurich’s home mountain!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 8:08 am

Honestly, Zürich isn't so exciting. It's a nice enough place to live, but the more interesting places are elsewhere in Switzerland. But if it's a nice day, a trip up the Uetliberg is great.
Old Jun 28, 2016, 2:18 am

Honestly, Zürich isn't so exciting. It's a nice enough place to live, but the more interesting places are elsewhere in Switzerland. But if it's a nice day, a trip up the Uetliberg is great.
Agreed - I normally tell friends who are visiting that there's not much to see but a lot to soak up. Especially in summer. Winter is always skiing

Assuming the weather's good:
- drinks on the terrace at the Storchen hotel by the river and opposite the Grossmunster church
- drinks at Dynamo, along the swimming area of the Limmat 5 minutes away from Zurich HB
- drinks at Frau Gerold's in Hardbrucke - gentrified industrial area
- swimming in one of the badis - I like Mythenquai by Wollishofen / Enge the most
- Uetliberg is good, but an alternative is the Landgasthof Halbinsel Au, stop is Au (ZH) on the S8 line going south. It's a little peninsula that stretches into lake Zurich, and the restaurant does extremely good food with good service, and uncrowded views deep into the alps.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
Agreed - I normally tell friends who are visiting that there's not much to see but a lot to soak up.

Assuming the weather's good:
- drinks on the terrace at the Storchen hotel by the river and opposite the Grossmunster church
- Uetliberg is good, but an alternative is the Landgasthof Halbinsel Au, stop is Au (ZH) on the S8 line going south.
Coincidently, after research looks like we're going check into Storchen Hotel upon arrival in morning, napping (hopefully a room will be available as their prices prohibit paying for guaranteed early check-in) and doing Old Town that afternoon and doing the Uetiberg visit next morning before heading down for the wedding!

Weather should be nice and brisk in mid September.
Thanks for the confirming the plans we made are sound.....^
Old Jun 29, 2016, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by dtsm
Coincidently, after research looks like we're going check into Storchen Hotel upon arrival in morning, napping (hopefully a room will be available as their prices prohibit paying for guaranteed early check-in) and doing Old Town that afternoon and doing the Uetiberg visit next morning before heading down for the wedding!

Weather should be nice and brisk in mid September.
Thanks for the confirming the plans we made are sound.....^
Most welcome! The weather should still be good in September.

Re: Old Town, you could try the Old Crow Bar. Not cheap, but absolutely phenomenal cocktails. There's an outdoor seating area that isn't spectacular unless you get the one table that just peeks between the neighbouring buildings and onto the river...

Uetliberg - if you want to go to the top of the viewing platform, bring coins. It has recently switched to a pay-for turnstyle. I think it's CHF2 but can't quite recall.
Old Jun 29, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by SwissBritMiss
Most welcome! The weather should still be good in September.

Re: Old Town, you could try the Old Crow Bar. Not cheap, but absolutely phenomenal cocktails. There's an outdoor seating area that isn't spectacular unless you get the one table that just peeks between the neighbouring buildings and onto the river...

Uetliberg - if you want to go to the top of the viewing platform, bring coins. It has recently switched to a pay-for turnstyle. I think it's CHF2 but can't quite recall.
It's 2CHF. I was up there in the spring. I didn't go up, but someone we were with did.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 1:03 am

You should do the trek from Uetliberg to the tram (forget what it is called). Very nice, get to see the planets
Old Jul 3, 2016, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by s0ssos
You should do the trek from Uetliberg to the tram (forget what it is called). Very nice, get to see the planets
To the cable car at Felsenegg. Yes, that's a really nice walk.

Be careful of the terminology in Zürich, tram=streetcar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.