Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Trieste to Zagreb - Car Service Recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec

My in-laws are going to Europe later this year, and they're trying to figure out how to get from Trieste to Zagreb. The train service is terrible (takes something like 11 hours). There appear to be a number of taxi companies that will do the trip for around €250-300. There also appear to be buses that take around 4.5 hours, for around $12 per person. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience on either of these methods?

Last edited by cestmoi123; Jun 22, 2016 at 2:01 pm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA, onePass
We used GoOpti from Venice to Ljubljana, Slovenia and I know they pick up in Trieste.....it was a shared van with about 6 or 7 passengers and took 2.5 hours from pick up point to drop off point.....I would recommend them again.

I read on a TA forum that someone arranged car service from Ljubljana to Zagreb....

I would just send them an email at GoOpti.com. I believe they can do private transfers as well.

Their service is much more convenient than train or bus.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 6:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Any reason they don't want to rent a car and drive?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
OW int'l rental will not be cheap.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
From Koper it's only about 6 hours by train to Zagreb, from Rijeka there's a direct evening train that takes only 3:40.

There is also a connection from Villa Opicina just outside Triest via Ljubljana which takes only about 5 1/2 hours.

Last edited by ritesa; Jun 25, 2016 at 10:32 am
Old Jun 25, 2016, 7:17 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
OW int'l rental will not be cheap.
I wasn't clear from the OP that it was OW.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ritesa
From Koper it's only about 6 hours by train to Zagreb, from Rijeka there's a direct evening train that takes only 3:40.

There is also a connection from Villa Opicina just outside Triest via Ljubljana which takes only about 5 1/2 hours.
There are *buses* from Rijeka that take 2 and a half hours to Zagreb, mostly once an hour throughout the day. That's a *way* better option. Not to mention that most buses are actually cheaper than the train.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:36 am

Programs: Compulsory Traveller
Originally Posted by hdogan
There are *buses* from Rijeka that take 2 and a half hours to Zagreb, mostly once an hour throughout the day. That's a *way* better option. Not to mention that most buses are actually cheaper than the train.
That's surely a good option as well.

As for me, I generally prefer trains over buses as they usually offer more space, the possibility to move around freely and sometimes even decent toilets. Also, IMHO travelling by train is much more relaxing and laid back.
Old Jun 26, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Not on the Rijeka - Zagreb route :-D The train in reality takes about 4, 4 and a half hours, as it is usually late. The rail network between the two cities was built during the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and never modernised - it was barely even maintained. I would recommend a train for most other routes, but here really you should take advantage of the buses taking the highway, most of them with wi-fi onboard... And coming back to the OP, the only route from Trieste to Rijeka would be by bus anyway.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.