Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Never Been to Europe, Help Narrowing Down Destinations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never Been to Europe, Help Narrowing Down Destinations?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
You have chosen a good and sensibly paced itinerary. There are countless day-trip possibilities from the cities you are visiting.

As mentioned, the Dutch train system is fast, easy and efficient. If you are heading over the border to Belgium, I would recommend Bruges over Brussels every time. With your itinerary, you could squeeze in an overnight there, en-route from Paris to Amsterdam.

Florence or Pisa would be good day trips from Rome, on the fast trains. Book online in advance to get the best fares.

As others have mentioned, it is a good idea to learn a few phrases of the local languages, particularly in France (if you don't already speak French).

English is very widely spoken in Europe, particularly by people employed in the tourist industry, but a little French and Italian will be widely appreciated. The exception is The Netherlands, where English is an almost universal second language, and is treated as the default language of international communication. That said, a sentence or two of Dutch will raise a few eyebrows (in a positive way).

Last edited by The_Bouncer; Jun 22, 2016 at 3:13 pm Reason: Typos
Old Jun 22, 2016, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
As mentioned, the Dutch train system is fast, easy and efficient. If you are heading over the border to Belgium, I would recommend Bruges over Brussels every time.
Only issue is that Bruges requires a change of trains in each direction.

With day trips, the luggage is safely back at the hotel, relieving the OP from lugging bags while trying to experiencing the city.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Can't go wrong with Amsterdam and Paris. I could easily spend a week at each.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Only issue is that Bruges requires a change of trains in each direction.

With day trips, the luggage is safely back at the hotel, relieving the OP from lugging bags while trying to experiencing the city.
Good point. I still think Bruges is worth the change of trains.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If the
Old Jun 23, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the OP is up to a longer day (early start) then sure. It IS very much worth the visit.

Don't think an overnight is warranted, though, in the context of disrupting the flow of the overall trip.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
If the OP is up to a longer day (early start) then sure. It IS very much worth the visit.

Don't think an overnight is warranted, though, in the context of disrupting the flow of the overall trip.
Thinking the luggage thing through again, I probably agree. But Bruges is spectacular and well worth it.

Another option with a shorter and easier journey from Amsterdam would be Antwerp - a hugely under-rated city.

Last edited by The_Bouncer; Jun 23, 2016 at 3:00 pm
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
I agree about Antwerp. I prefer it to Brussels, and while it's not as cute as Bruges, it's not nearly as touristy, either. And the Antwerp central station is quite a piece of architecture, though unfortunately not in the most interesting part of the city.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 3:39 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Store your luggage in Brussels South, large automated lockers + old-fashioned left luggage in case the lockers are all taken.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.