Advice on travel to the Czech Republic

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 9:34 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Advice on travel to the Czech Republic

Dear FT members,

I just got a call from a dear friend who just decided to join a friend who is going to Vienna and Budapest... so she has free hotel room in those cities.

However, she will have a few days on her own and wants to go from Vienna to Cesky Krumlov to Budapest for four nights.

She would be in Cesky Krumlov the evenings of July 3 - July 7.

I know nothing of this city so cannot be much help.

Any knowledgeable FTers have any advice on the following questions?

1. What would be the best way to get from Vienna to Cesky Krumlov? She is thinking train or bus.

2. Where would you recommend she stay in Cesky Krumlov? She wants to stay in the historic district... middle of things.

3. What should she do while in Cesky Krumlov? Any "DO NOT MISS" things to do? Or restaurants to try?

4. What would be the best way to get from Cesky Krumlov to Budapest?

Appreciate any help you can provide.

William

Last edited by wharvey; May 24, 2016 at 2:04 pm
Old May 24, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
česky krumlov is in Czech Republic (or Czechia) not in Czechoslovakia as the latter does not exist.

The city is tiny and you really want to stay in the center. There are only a few things to see - the castle being the biggest attraction. IMHO 4 days is waaaaaay too much, 2 nights would be more than adequate.
Old May 24, 2016, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Palal
česky krumlov is in Czech Republic (or Czechia) not in Czechoslovakia as the latter does not exist.
That didn't take long .

It's not really easy to get there from Vienna in my opinion. A train would require 2 changes and probably 4.5 hours minimum, but may be the least expensive option. There are shuttle buses, which I think are more expensive, but maybe a little faster.

And I agree that 2 nights is about the right amount of time.

Getting from there to Budapest -- going back to Vienna, then a short train ride to Budapest would probably be best. That's likely a full day of just travel.
Old May 24, 2016, 1:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Czechoslovakia ceased to exist on January 1, 1993
Old May 24, 2016, 2:06 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
My apologies.... I was posting quickly as I was heading out the door.... so sorry if the word Czechoslovakia confused some to the point they could not provide any advice.

I requested hours ago to have the title changed....

My sincerest apologies.
Old May 24, 2016, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Český Krumlov is near Linz. She basically has to go by train from Vienna to Linz and then up to CK. And then do the same in reverse to get to Budapest (via Vienna). Going from CK to Budapest via Brno would take a lot more time.
Old May 25, 2016, 1:49 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
If your friend decides that going to Cesky Krumlov is not worth the trouble after all and would like to visit another place that makes more sense logistically, you could suggest a couple of nights in Bratislava, Slovakia.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:55 am

Programs: CI Paragon, AF Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Shangri-La Jade
Originally Posted by wharvey
Where would you recommend she stay in Cesky Krumlov? She wants to stay in the historic district... middle of things.
Stayed at the Hotel Bellevue 2 years ago, not a 5-star establishment but plenty of charms, walking distance to everything (then again, everything in CK is walking distance). Also agreeing with others 2 nights is more than enough to cover the entire town.

It's a relatively quick 2 hour drive from Vienna. Logistically I would just get a rental car and make the trip back to Vienna before heading to Budapest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.