Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for travel to Greece

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 6:41 am
bws
Original Poster

Suggestions for travel to Greece

I'm planning to book a trip for my wife and I to Greece for 10 days between June 20th and July 1st from NYC to Athens.

We're mainly looking to relax and take in some sights. In our mid 30's so not looking to party the night away.

I've heard from some friends that have gone to Greece you only need to spend 1 day or so in Athens.

Does anyone have a suggested intinerary?

Athens to Mykonos to Santorini or should we travel to another island and exclude Mykonos?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I won't be much help on personal suggestions, but have found this site incredibly informative when doing research in the past on a Greece trip. Lots of good information to help you narrow down and ask some specific questions.

http://www.greecetravel.com/
Old May 19, 2016, 8:09 am
bws
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JBord
I won't be much help on personal suggestions, but have found this site incredibly informative when doing research in the past on a Greece trip. Lots of good information to help you narrow down and ask some specific questions.

http://www.greecetravel.com/
Thanks. I've been on the site and it has some great info. I was hoping for a few suggestions from other people who have been there.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:06 pm

A couple of days in Athens and then head for either Corfu or Rhodes for the remaining time. Not only are both of them extremely beautiful and offer, in addition, many sights and relax possibilities, but you can also take a boat from there and visit a neighbouring smaller island (Paxoi/Paxos from the former, Symi or Tilos or Chalki from the latter). Only "draw-back": you may need to hire a car or motor bike in either case to fully enjoy the island.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:35 pm

Ya-sas BWS,

I would highly recommend Chania Crete. Your friends are right Athens is just a 1 day city. I would do 5 nights exploring west Crete and then finish off with Santorini. Stay in Oia on Santorini. Rent a decent size scooter or 4 wheeler to get around on. Any questions feel free to ask I lived in Greece for over 4 years. All the best.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jpup80
Ya-sas BWS,

Your friends are right Athens is just a 1 day city. .
Despite your residency in Greece....I think a lot of people would disagree that Athens is a " 1 day city". I have been dozens of times to Athens as a tourist and I would never consider any less than 3 nights ( 2-3 days)
Old Apr 16, 2017, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
A couple of tips after recent trip:

1) Uber. No midnight surcharge to/from airport and fairly easy to get in city center.

2) Skip the one-day cruise to Hydra, Poros, Aegina. Long, long day and nothing really interesting to see.

3) Santorini. If you are physically able, hike from Fira to/from Oia. 3 hour hike at an average pace - amazing views

4) If you are interested in the origins of anarchism, walk from Monastiraki to the National Archaeological Museum of Athens (30 minutes). This would take you through Exarcheia, particularly the area between Omonia and Viktoria metros. Don't do this at night (multiple streets are closed sometimes by police) and be aware during daytime. I felt safe FWIW
Old Apr 16, 2017, 9:14 pm

Small correction: Exarcheia (some call it the Independent Anarchist State of Exarcheia) is further east from Patission Street where the museum is. In contrast, the area between Omonia and Viktoria metros, west of Patission Street, is where almost exclusively only non-Greeks own shops, cafes, restaurants, etc. It's sort of like China town, Little Pakistan, New Africa all merged in one neighbourhood. The charms is missing, though. Everything else you wrote stands!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.