Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kiev/Baku?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2016, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Kiev/Baku?

Hello, right now I am considering in August to do 3 nights in Kiev and 3 in Baku as a single male independent traveler. I know for Azerbaijan you need a Visa. I hear really good things about Kiev and that its really inexpensive but Baku seems very interesting. Is Baku pretty safe? Is it pretty easy to get around the city? Right now I have Budapest for 6 nights and I know thats a nice city but I always enjoy going a bit off the tourist path a bit.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Hello, right now I am considering in August to do 3 nights in Kiev and 3 in Baku as a single male independent traveler. I know for Azerbaijan you need a Visa. I hear really good things about Kiev and that its really inexpensive but Baku seems very interesting. Is Baku pretty safe? Is it pretty easy to get around the city? Right now I have Budapest for 6 nights and I know thats a nice city but I always enjoy going a bit off the tourist path a bit.
Baku is very safe. It's a reasonably small city and you can get around on foot easily. If not, there's a metro and local buses which are extremely cheap. If you need any specific info on Baku/Azerbaijan, let me know. I'll be glad to help if I can
Old May 15, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Baku is safer than Kiev. With both countries suffering significant economic crisis they have become much cheaper. Getting around is fairly easy in both. If you want a reliable cab driver who speaks English in Kiev, pm me and I will give you my driver's number.
Old May 15, 2016, 4:58 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Both are fairly safe (though I'm biased towards Kiev) and probably safer than some western cities. Both are worth about 3 days. I've used airbnb in Kiev last year and found it to be extremely good value.
Old May 15, 2016, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! So good idea to pivot away from the tourist crowds of Budapest? Also, are price of food/drink pretty similar between the 3 cities?
Old May 16, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Baku will be slightly more expensive than Kiev but both are cheaper than Budapest.
Old May 20, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by bankops
Baku will be slightly more expensive than Kiev but both are cheaper than Budapest.
I think that Baku is rather more expensive than Kiev, not just slightly. But Baku is absolutely worth visiting - wonderful city and people.
Old May 20, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Since the last devaluation of the AZN, Baku has become much, much cheaper for those visiting Azerbaijan from abroad. When you convert AZN prices to USD/EUR or GBP, you'll see you're getting a real bargain compared to previously. Unfortunately, for those of us paid in AZN, prices are still outrageous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.