Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Which Destination/s to choose?

Old May 5, 2016, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

6 days in Europe and am a single independent male and been to alot of places but was wondering what the better trip would be. Right now I have 5 days in Budapest then 1 day in Bratislava. However, I am tempted to do Tallinn for 3 days then take the ferry to St. Petersburg and go there for 2 days and its visa free and the overnight ferry may be a cool experience. Both trips are to pretty inexpensive destinations which I always like doing. Which trip would you go on and why?
Old May 5, 2016, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I'll assume these are all new places for you.

As another single male, I'd go to Budapest. But I haven't been to Talinn. And I'd probably skip Bratislava. Maybe cut Budapest to 4 days and do 2 somewhere else. If you stick with Bratislava, one day is enough.

Budapest is probably my favorite city in Europe. As you said, relatively cheap compared to just about everywhere to the west of it. Very good food, including some Michelin-starred restaurants which are affordable (relative to others elsewhere). The ruin pubs are fun and quirky. Good Hungarian wine, good beer everywhere in the city. Beautiful views, both looking across the river from the Pest side and from Castle Hill looking back at Pest. Enough interesting sight seeing to keep you occupied during the day if you haven't been there before. The baths are an interesting and, once you get used to it, relaxing experience. The Great Market Hall is a great place to walk around for 30 minutes and then get some really good lunch for cheap.

But all of that depends on what your interests are when you travel. Mainly I think I like that Budapest feels like a real European city even in the hotel area along the Danube instead of just a big tourist attraction.

I'm actually going back in August. One of my to-do's that I learned about recently and didn't get a chance to do last time is eat at a butcher shop. Google it, if you're into food at all, it looks fantastic. The other new thing on my list is visiting the Terror Museum.

All that said, Tallinn-St. Petersburg sounds nice too.
Old May 6, 2016, 1:38 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I would go to Budapest and Vienna.
Vienna is just as easy as Bratislava to reach from Budapest.
I like St. Petersburg very much but Tallinn I don't care too much for.
Budapest is a fantastic city, you can easily spend a long time there.
There is a very good Russian restaurant in Budapest :
http://www.aranykaviar.hu/english/
Old May 6, 2016, 7:16 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
One day in Bratislava is plenty. Budapest is nice, as is Vienna.
Old May 7, 2016, 1:49 am

Personally, I think 3 days in Tallinn is a bit too long. You could take a ferry to Helsinki from Tallinn if you've never been.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.