Reload this Page >

A Brasserie Day in the Ardennes

Old Apr 21, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

I will have a completely free Saturday while traveling in Belgium in June. Being a fan of the Belgian beer (my local pub maintains a rather impressive inventory of Belgian brews, if I do say so myself ), it occurred to me that a rather fun way to spend my free day would be to visit a brasserie.

My business will have me in Liège. Unfortunately, I won't have a car. And renting a car would seem counterproductive for beer sampling. The research I've done so far seems to suggest that not having a car may seriously limit my possibilities ... which has led me here.

Do any of my fellow FTers have any suggestions for a fun day trip to a brasserie via public transportation that I can make from Liège? I'd prefer to stay in southern and eastern Belgium (i.e. not to far from Liège), but I can be flexible about that.

Any other general suggestions about Liège would be most welcome, too!
Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
I'm sure you can find some fine brasseries in Liège. Or you could go to Leuven by train, home of Stella and with the "biggest terrace in the world" on the "oude markt".
Old Apr 22, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by iapetus
Any other general suggestions about Liège would be most welcome, too!
If you're in Liège on Sunday morning, the weekly market, La Batte, is massive--about a mile long, stretched out along the Meuse quays--lively, very popular, and lots of fun. It's supposedly the largest and oldest market in Belgium, FWIW. If you like museums and history, I recommend the Grand Curtius, for archaeology, arms, religious and decorative arts, etc. http://www.grandcurtiusliege.be/?set_language=en
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ghentleman
I'm sure you can find some fine brasseries in Liège.
I'm sorry. I wasn't sufficiently precise in my language. What I meant by a brasserie is a brewery, such as the Brasserie d'Achouffe or the Brasserie de Val-Dieu. Although it looks like there are some excellent places to find some great Belgian beer in Liège, -- and believe you me, I will visit them! -- I'd like to tour the source of such fine beer. But those are exactly the types of places I fear are out of (easy) reach of public transportation.

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
If you're in Liège on Sunday morning, the weekly market, La Batte, is massive--about a mile long, stretched out along the Meuse quays--lively, very popular, and lots of fun. It's supposedly the largest and oldest market in Belgium, FWIW. If you like museums and history, I recommend the Grand Curtius, for archaeology, arms, religious and decorative arts, etc. http://www.grandcurtiusliege.be/?set_language=en
Thanks! Those are great recommendations! I have to depart for Holland on Sunday, but perhaps I can leave late enough in the day to visit la Batte.

Last edited by iapetus; Apr 22, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Old Apr 24, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Here's a map with "all" active breweries. https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...kybL0&hl=en_US
But those that take visitors usually require a minimum group size.
If you don't mind the longer train ride and have never been to Bruges, I can recommend a tour of "Brouwerij De Halve Maan", has tours every 45 minutes. You can book online (make sure to do this, as Bruges in spring is crazy busy)
http://www.halvemaan.be/en/brewery-visit
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
On second thought, I should clarify that la Batte is not a market devoted to local produce and growers (unless you consider waffles and frites to be local produce). It's more of huge general market, ranging from spices and cheeses to cut flowers to cheap clothes to vegetables to plastic toys. But it is quite a lively scene.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA
If you're up for some reading, I highly recommend
this book this book
. It will help you figure out which breweries can be reached by public transit (sometimes in combination with biking).

My general impression, though, is that public transport in the Ardennes is not that dense or regular and a car is required.
Old May 5, 2016, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by polkacat
If you're up for some reading, I highly recommend this book. It will help you figure out which breweries can be reached by public transit (sometimes in combination with biking).
Thanks! ^ I'm definitely amenable to using a bike to get around for this purpose. I won't have my own in Liège, of course , but I suppose it won't be too hard to find a rental.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.