Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Auschwitz/Birkenau area hotels

Auschwitz/Birkenau area hotels

Old Apr 22, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I have just come back from 2 days in Krakow,and I loved the place,was helped by nice sunny warm weather,and the main square is fantastic,I wish I had stayed longer,did the hop on hop off bus tour which starts at Wavel castle....great trip,may go back,pic of Krakov main square at night;

Krakow main square at night. by Dave McDermott, on Flickr
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The best room at the Galicja hotel goes for about $85 a night. Maybe it really is very good, but the rate does make me wonder.
This is kinda hilarious.
Equating price charged with quality.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:39 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
This is kinda hilarious.
Equating price charged with quality.
Glad to provide you with a moment of hilarity. In all quality ranges there are obviously better and worse deals but even in developing nations it is generally impossible to provide a high standard of room quality and service at a very low price.
Old Apr 22, 2016, 2:57 pm
Community Director Emerita

Krakow was part of the Eastern Bloc when I visited. Our rental car from Austria was a great novelty. I thought it was a great place to visit then and would expect the same now. We used it as a base for Auschwitz/Birkenau, the fascinating Salt Mines, and the medieval city center. The historic city center is a Unesco World Heritage Site.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 25, 2016 at 7:55 am
Old Apr 22, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
You folks are making a strong case for extending our Poland stay by a day and having a day in Krakow. I was going to do two nights in Poland and two in Bratislava but maybe three and one is a better idea, staying in Krakow. Thoughts?
Originally Posted by Grouchy

I agree with the others that Krakow is definitely worth a visit. Would personally do 3 nights in Poland and one in Bratislava.
Good advice. I've been to Bratislava and will be in Krakow for the first time this summer. To me, Bratislava is a day trip, or one night at the most.

I'm already having a difficult time planning my time in Krakow, as I'll only be there for 2 full days. There's so much more to do in Krakow, and everyone I know who's been there loves the city.

Last edited by JBord; Apr 23, 2016 at 5:53 am Reason: Corrected post
Old Apr 22, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I have been to both Krakow and Bratislava and I'll vote for the extra day in Krakow as well.

Concerning hotels, I personally prefer to stay in western chain hotels as I know what to expect from them in terms of quality etc. I'm going back to Krakow this summer and I'll be staying in the new Doubletree.
It is also very cheap (~80$ per night) as the price level in Poland in general is lower than many other European countries.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Glad to provide you with a moment of hilarity. In all quality ranges there are obviously better and worse deals but even in developing nations it is generally impossible to provide a high standard of room quality and service at a very low price.
So now Poland is a 'developing nation'? And I guess by default, anything without a corporate logo charging $85 a night is suspect?
Well thank goodness we have Sheratons, Radissons and such to provide us with "high standards of rooms" based on developed nations standards, so that noone has to slum it in backwards EU standards hotels

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Krakow was part of the Soviet Republic when I visited.
I can assure you, we were never a Soviet Republic.....
Old Apr 23, 2016, 8:47 am
Community Director Emerita

I can assure you, we were never a Soviet Republic.....
My apologies for my mistatement. Is it more correct to say it was under Soviet control?
Old Apr 23, 2016, 12:01 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Warsaw Pact may be a better description.
Old Apr 23, 2016, 7:39 pm
Original Poster

So now Poland is a 'developing nation'? And I guess by default, anything without a corporate logo charging $85 a night is suspect?
Please look back at what I said, I didn't name any country as a developing nation. The reference was intended to make the point that providing high-end services is expensive everywhere, even in countries with overall low average wages.

Getting back on topic, I'm convinced that I should do three nights in Krakow and one in Bratislava.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:25 am

Programs: M&M FTL
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Is it more correct to say it was under Soviet control?

Perhaps 'strongly influenced by' is more accurate, there was still autonomy behind the iron curtain in those states not directly part of the USSR, to varying degrees.

Last edited by theSaladDays; Apr 25, 2016 at 6:30 am Reason: overlooked earlier responses
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:52 pm

I suggest staying at http://apartamenty.oberza.pl/?lang=en . Take a look on their site. Economical boutique hotel. Close to the main square and attractions. Food in the Kazimierz district is great and varied. You would not be disappointed. Each room is different.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
I suggest staying at http://apartamenty.oberza.pl/?lang=en . Take a look on their site. Economical boutique hotel. Close to the main square and attractions. Food in the Kazimierz district is great and varied. You would not be disappointed. Each room is different.
One problem with this place appears to be that any booking must be fully prepaid and is 100% non-refundable.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:01 am

One problem with this place appears to be that any booking must be fully prepaid and is 100% non-refundable.
Must be a change. But that is not a problem. Reserve something else that requires no prepayment and check the availability when you arrive or when you know for sure you will be there and cancel the the reserved place.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1Newflyer
Must be a change. But that is not a problem. Reserve something else that requires no prepayment and check the availability when you arrive or when you know for sure you will be there and cancel the the reserved place.
Could you elaborate on why you favor this place over other Krakow boutique hotels? I think you recommended it in another thread I participated in as well, and I also got a non-refundable rate when I looked at it. I ended up booking Hotel Stary, which looks like a nice hotel and had a good rate. It appears to be a short walk between the old town square and Kazimierz, so location doesn't seem to be a huge factor.

Is there anything unique or special about this place, or is it really just a matter of a good hotel/good price combination?

For my personal situation, I don't want to be dealing with finding hotel reservations and itinerary changes once I start my trip, but that's just me and my specific trip which I know will be short enough as it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.