Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight in Bratislava

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Overnight in Bratislava

Going to check out the city for 1 night this summer and was wondering what part of the city to stay in and if anyone had any suggestions on the best area near cafes/bars/restaurants to be in. Any Hotel suggestions?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Going to check out the city for 1 night this summer and was wondering what part of the city to stay in and if anyone had any suggestions on the best area near cafes/bars/restaurants to be in. Any Hotel suggestions?
I stay next to the US Embassy there. The major point-earning chain hotels closest to it have room for improvement, but they are well located for my purposes: the Park Inn (which is especially good to me in terms of upgrades) and the Radisson Blu Carlton (which needs to renovate some rooms if it hasn't already).

The location of these works for me due to what I go there for and due to the proximity to the historical old town area.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:13 pm

The old town is tiny, so basically as long as you are on the correct side of the river you'll be fine.

We were there in November and had an excellent meal at the restaurant of the Albrecht Hotel. The hotel itself looks really pretty but it's a bit removed from the center.

We also had an excellent (not gourmet by any stretch of the imagination, but tasty and very local) lunch at Bratislavský Meštiansky Pivovar.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I've stayed at Hotel Devin, which is on the river and adjacent to Old Town. Nice hotel, I didn't try the spa but have heard it's nice too.

We were able to walk up the hill to the castle from there as well, although it took a little time to wind around the streets. It's still one of the closer hotels if you're interested in hiking up to the castle.

The Radisson Blu is about a block or two away as another option.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I've stayed at Holiday Inn a little away from Old Town, but quite easy to catch a tram. I was lucky to get in on HI Point Break at 5K points, but a random date in late April shows 10K points per night - a good deal for a newish clean hotel.

According to Google maps 3.6 km 45 min walking (which I mostly did).
Old Apr 7, 2016, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Anyone stay at this Marrols Hotel. Apparently it was named best Hotel in the world in 2012? Yea I have noticed that alot of the hotels in Bratislava including the western chains are sort of behind the times in terms of general quality. How about food? Are there any must try institutions there that I need to try?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 12:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ASUDan130
Thanks! Anyone stay at this Marrols Hotel. Apparently it was named best Hotel in the world in 2012? Yea I have noticed that alot of the hotels in Bratislava including the western chains are sort of behind the times in terms of general quality. How about food? Are there any must try institutions there that I need to try?
Haven't stayed there. 9k Club Carlson points for the Park Inn there grabbed me first.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
does anyone have any preference between the sheraton, doubletree & crowne plaza????will be in bratislava for 3 days in december & haven't figured out where to stay....using points so it has to be either one of these 3 properties....
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Keyser
does anyone have any preference between the sheraton, doubletree & crowne plaza????will be in bratislava for 3 days in december & haven't figured out where to stay....using points so it has to be either one of these 3 properties....
The Club Carlson properties are cheap in points, and very well situated for tourists. Probably not the answer you're looking for.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Club Carlson properties are cheap in points, and very well situated for tourists. Probably not the answer you're looking for.
unfortunately not as i have no points there....
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
If you're going as a tourist, I'd suggest the Sheraton or Crowne Plaza, which are both near Old Town. The Doubletree is more in the city center I believe.

The Sheraton overlooks the Danube. Crowne Plaza would be a shorter walk up the hill to the Castle, if you're planning on that.

I haven't stayed at either but I've walked by the Sheraton .
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by JBord
If you're going as a tourist, I'd suggest the Sheraton or Crowne Plaza, which are both near Old Town. The Doubletree is more in the city center I believe.

The Sheraton overlooks the Danube. Crowne Plaza would be a shorter walk up the hill to the Castle, if you're planning on that.

I too have not stayed at either, but Sheraton's location can't be beat. It's a really stunning setting in the heart of the old town.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBord

Originally Posted by jaymar01
I too have not stayed at either, but Sheraton's location can't be beat. It's a really stunning setting in the heart of the old town.
thanks....that's very helpful....
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:44 pm

We stayed at both the Doubletree and Park Inn last summer.

Doubletree is lovely, newish hotel with great breakfast but it's a bit further away from old town - we took buses/trams/taxis to the hotel every time. We were upgraded to a nice suite (HH Diamond). The hotel is next to an icehockey ring and there were a lot of "star" players staying at the hotel even during summer, people chasing autographs from the players etc. There is a decent shopping mall in walking distance from the hotel. Also you can walk to old town but that might get boring and during summer it was too hot for that.

Park Inn has great location by the river in the old town but the hotel itself is a bit tired. Again we had a nice upgrade to a very roomy upstairs corner room. Breakfast was very chaotic with way too much people and the food was so-so.

I think both hotels were very cheap even during summer months, I think we did points+cash for DT and 2for1 at Park Inn.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by _fly_
There is a decent shopping mall in walking distance from the hotel.
how long was the walk????do you happen to remember the name of the mall????also, are there any restaurants around the hotel????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.