Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

5/ngts in Vienna: Salzburg day trip? Other day trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5/ngts in Vienna: Salzburg day trip? Other day trips?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2016, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
The trouble is, Vienna has lost a lot of that charm over the last few years. It had a vibe in the 80s, when I first went there as a student, that is simply not there any more. And there was a strong feeling of old Vienna (for better or for worse). Now, the place is more mixed up than it ever has been before, and it has become quite tacky. Sure, all the old monuments and museums are still there, but I am speaking about the feeling of the place.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Concerto
The trouble is, Vienna has lost a lot of that charm over the last few years. It had a vibe in the 80s, when I first went there as a student, that is simply not there any more. And there was a strong feeling of old Vienna (for better or for worse). Now, the place is more mixed up than it ever has been before, and it has become quite tacky. Sure, all the old monuments and museums are still there, but I am speaking about the feeling of the place.
Interesting observation. Probably some truth to it. I personally think it's a great city.

The down side for me, as an American, is that of all the cities I've been to in Europe, Vienna is the one that reminds me most of a US city. Not that there's anything bad about that, there are a few here I really enjoy too!
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by JBord
Interesting observation. Probably some truth to it. I personally think it's a great city.

The down side for me, as an American, is that of all the cities I've been to in Europe, Vienna is the one that reminds me most of a US city. Not that there's anything bad about that, there are a few here I really enjoy too!
Of which city in the US does Vienna remind you? As an American, can't say I found Vienna to remind me much of any place in the US. Perhaps it's tied to where a person is staying and wandering? I've certainly not felt that as a visitor for leisure or work there.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 1:47 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Of which city in the US does Vienna remind you? As an American, can't say I found Vienna to remind me much of any place in the US. Perhaps it's tied to where a person is staying and wandering? I've certainly not felt that as a visitor for leisure or work there.

Perhaps a part of historical Vienna reminded me in part of Disney in Florida, but I think that is not what you had in mind.
Old Apr 5, 2016, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Perhaps a part of historical Vienna reminded me in part of Disney in Florida, but I think that is not what you had in mind.
Well, just generally seems more modern and less quaint and historical (minus the major tourist sites of course) than a lot of other cities in Europe. Not that it really seems American, just not as different from NYC or Chicago as say, Rome, Venice, Paris, Budapest, etc.

Just my opinion. It's still one of my favorite European cities to visit.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 2:03 pm

Has anyone done the cruise from Melk to Krems or Durnstein? It looks pretty great.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:45 am
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by lkar
Has anyone done the cruise from Melk to Krems or Durnstein? It looks pretty great.
The cruises don't open until the middle of April, but my GF and I biked along the Danube from Melk. Super scenic

Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I did a river cruise last summer down the Danube. The portion from Melk to Krems was one of my favorite parts of the cruise. If you are in the area, I would say it is worth it.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 9:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've done a boat (hydrofoil?) from Vienna to Budapest.

Vienna seems much more diverse now, which many young people (some of whoom seem to be university students) who are obviously foreigners. There are neighborhoods with lots of cheap foreign restaurants, etc.

In the past, the center of Vienna seemed consist of conservative wealthy (European if not Austrian) people who dressed very expensively and formally/properly, etc., although other areas such as the Prater (spelling?) had middle class and working class families.

To me, the city has indeed changed.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 1:35 pm

Indeed it does. I haven't been to Melk, and hoping to go this summer/fall. I've looked into the cruise a little, and am trying to figure out a couple things that maybe others here can help with:

1. It looks like there are two companies operating the cruises. Any recommendations on one over the other, and why?

2. Is it possible to do a day trip from Vienna without being too rushed? I'm thinking about taking a morning train out to Melk, seeing the abbey, maybe get some lunch, and then take the cruise from Melk to Krems. And train back to Vienna, hopefully in time for dinner. Is this reasonable, or is it best to take the train back and forth to Melk and skip the cruise?

Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2016, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
I definitely think you can do day trips from Vienna without being too rushed or stressed. I've done loads of them, but I have not done Melk (and I can't really comment on the practicalities of your proposal, but I reckon it's doable). As you probably are well aware distances are much smaller in Europe than in the US (where I always get into trouble because I forever underestimate the time it takes to get anywhere).
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
I definitely think you can do day trips from Vienna without being too rushed or stressed. I've done loads of them, but I have not done Melk (and I can't really comment on the practicalities of your proposal, but I reckon it's doable). As you probably are well aware distances are much smaller in Europe than in the US (where I always get into trouble because I forever underestimate the time it takes to get anywhere).
Yeah, I know I could easily do a day trip to Melk by train or car. I just wasn't sure if it's practical to try to fit the cruise from Melk to Krems into that trip.

I'd love to make an overnight of it and then bike along the Danube, but my travel companion won't be up for that .
Old Apr 7, 2016, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I've read, though not confirmed, that it is possible to take a train to Krems or Melk and then bike back to Vienna--is this true?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:07 pm

2. Is it possible to do a day trip from Vienna without being too rushed? I'm thinking about taking a morning train out to Melk, seeing the abbey, maybe get some lunch, and then take the cruise from Melk to Krems. And train back to Vienna, hopefully in time for dinner. Is this reasonable, or is it best to take the train back and forth to Melk and skip the cruise?

Thanks!
I've read a fair amount suggesting that it's a good day trip, but it might depend on how much time you want to spend at the abbey. Definitely going the Melk to Krems direction is the better option, because it takes half as long as going upstream. The Melk departures appear to be 11:00, 13:45, and 13:50. The 13:45 is on Brandner. I think you can buy a combi ticket on OBB for either line.

It sounds as though the walk from the Krems pier to the train station is a bit of a haul, and many suggest getting off the boat at Durnstein, spending the afternoon there, and then taking a bus to the Krems train station to get back to Vienna.
Old Apr 8, 2016, 12:46 pm

I've read a fair amount suggesting that it's a good day trip, but it might depend on how much time you want to spend at the abbey. Definitely going the Melk to Krems direction is the better option, because it takes half as long as going upstream. The Melk departures appear to be 11:00, 13:45, and 13:50. The 13:45 is on Brandner. I think you can buy a combi ticket on OBB for either line.

It sounds as though the walk from the Krems pier to the train station is a bit of a haul, and many suggest getting off the boat at Durnstein, spending the afternoon there, and then taking a bus to the Krems train station to get back to Vienna.
Thanks. I did some more research on the time tables. There is a combi ticket offered that include train from Wien-Melk, Abbey entrance fee, boat from Melk-Krems, and then a train back to Wien. 51 euros. It looks like a reasonable day trip as long as one is willing to take the first train (07:48) to Melk in the morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.