Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brussels airport and metro explosions 22 March 2016

Old Mar 22, 2016, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
WELCOME, MODERATOR GUIDELINES and SUMMARY
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

If you are new to us, welcome to FlyerTalk!

Who we are: FlyerTalk features discussions and chat boards that covers the most up-to-date traveler information; an interactive community dedicated to the topic of travel (not politics or arguments about politics or religion, etc.)

All travelers are welcome in the community. Just choose a forum: conversing about airlines and their programs, airports, destinations, dining and how to make the most of your miles and points, or visit our Information Desk to start.

We do have some Rules, and everyone agrees to abide by these when they are granted free membership privileges. On a topic that generates a lot of feelings and perspectives, please remember "welcoming, respectful" are key words on FlyerTalk.

As with previous serious incident threads, please observe the following in this thread:

1. The normal FT Rules apply. (Including not discussing moderation actions on-thread). And please be particularly attentive to "discussing the idea and not the poster" when you have a disagreement. Civility and mutual respect are still expected and are what we owe each other as a community.

2. You are expected to respect our diversity, and therefore refrain from posting inflammatory comments about race, religion, culture, politics, ethnicity, orientation, etc." Do not cite, copy, or report on such.

3. Please do continue to be attentive to the sensibilities of the families of those impacted by the tragedy. Think about if you were them what you would and would not want to see posted. Reasonable speculation about what happened is permissible; please, though, do not indulge in inflammatory or overly-lurid descriptions or depictions (or links to same) that could well be hurtful.

4. Overly / extravagantly exaggerative posts such as conspiracy theories, posts beyond the realm of science and known facts, etc. as well as posts with information that has been posted several times previously may be summarily deleted. Moderator actions may not be discussed in posts on FlyerTalk.

(For those more interested in conspiracy theories and have access to OMNI, please post there: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni-...u-airport.html.)

5. FlyerTalk complies with international copyright agreements. Please do not post full copyrighted articles; summarize the salient points, cite properly and post links. Entire copyrighted articles will be summarily deleted.

6. In addition, those who repeatedly fail to comply with FlyerTalk Rules or the guidelines for this thread may be subjected to FlyerTalk disciplinary actions and have membership privileges suspended, forum masks, etc.

Flyertalk Brussels incident moderator team: stut, cblaisd and starflyergold

N.B. PLEASE do not alter the contents of this moderator note.

SUMMARY: At ~08:00 local time on Tuesday, March 22, 2016, three men with several large bags arrived by taxi at BRU / Brussels Zaventem airport. They proceeded with their bags on trolleys into the departures area, where they detonated Claymore type devices within the suitcases (explosives wrapped with shrapnel consisting of nails, etc.) at opposite ends of the Departures area.

11 are known dead in this incident, many more injured. Two bombs detonated, a third suitcase detonated later, after the area had been evacuated. Two bombers were killed, a third one is being searched for; he is believed to be Hakim Laachraoui, allegedly the bomb designer and implicated in the November 13 Paris terrorist bombings.

Approximately an hour later, two men including the brother of one of the BRU bombers detonated a suicide explosive device at the Maelbeek metro station, not far from EU / EC buildings. More than 20 were killed at the metro station. In all, there have been over 260 reported injuries.

BRU / Zaventem began to open with three flights 3 April. There are new procedures in place, as reported by member flatlander on Sunday, 3 April in the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum.

flatlander, 3 Apr 2016:

BRU is now open with limited service. See http://www.brusselsairport2203.be for new arrivals and departures procedures.

Of note: There will be a vehicle check approaching the drop-off zone. Only passengers will be allowed past the drop-off area into the temporary check-in and departures area, and there will be no luggage trolleys or catering in the departures area. After security there are a few places to eat and drink.

There are no train or bus services to the airport. Access is by private car, taxi, foot or bicycle. No car rental at the airport.

...Recommended arrival time at the airport is 3 hours before departure.
Alternate access to / from Brussels by air is via Brussels Charleroi / CRL / EBVI 29 miles from the city and connected by bus. CRL hosts Low Cost Carriers and some airlines have temporarily diverted flights from BRU to CRL.

Rail services (e.g. Thalys from Amsterdam and Paris) are functioning normally.
Resource information:

Link to BRU / Zaventem airport site with maps and details of current procedures.

Link to detailed BRU procedures for departing passengers.

Belgian Federal Crisis Center offers an English PDF here, and current updates on its FaceBook page here. Twitter @crisiscenterbe.

Relatives of BRU / Zaventem airport victims or inquiring may call +32 2 753 73 00.

Relatives of Maelbeek victims or inquiring may call +32 78 15 17 71.

Rail service has been reestablished to all rail stations (excepting BRU). Noctis busses are running. Trams #92 and #93 are running. For Metro service, see here. Plan more time for security procedures implemented as Belgium is at Security Level 3, even at rail stations, etc. and be sure to be prepared to produce valid identification.

Link to updated article on BBC

Updated 03 April 2016 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Brussels airport and metro explosions 22 March 2016

Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by invisible
So... is this consensus mount FT that continental Europe is not a good place to travel in near terms?
In the last year if you had spent 12 days driving on Belgium's roads you would have had the same probability of being killed in a road traffic accident as you would be terrorists in the whole year in Belgium. Eat slightly less salt and sugar and you will mitigate the risk of being killed by terrorists.

Terrible those these events are, they are mercifully rare. I am no more fear of going to Paris than anywhere else.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:35 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Today's talk at the supermarket (suburban Amsterdam a mixed race neighbourhood) was that everyone finds it awfull something like this has happened but nobody is going to cancel their travel plans or not enjoy the easter holidays. It might be even safer to travel now with the high state of alert.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
AC 832 in BRU

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The attacks were landside. .
The suicide attacks were targeted at American Airlines, Starbuck's, & the metro station near the UN.

AC 832 shows as having arrived at 08:45 am local time. Not likely to be business as usual. Likely sitting on the tarmac?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
The suicide attacks were targeted at American Airlines, Starbuck's, & the metro station near the UN.

AC 832 shows as having arrived at 08:45 am local time. Not likely to be business as usual. Likely sitting on the tarmac?
Probably. Delta had a flight land as the attacks started and they parked it a remote gate and initially held passengers on the plane. Per Delta's website, they've deplaned the passengers now.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The UN is in Geneva, Switzerland. If you meant the EU, they have buildings all over Brussels.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
At least two thirds of the above seems to be incorrect. One explosion at the airport -- the latter one -- took place by the entrance/exit to the building that is close to the Starbucks. And AA is saying the explosion near the check-in counters (the first one inside the BRU building today) didn't take place at row 8 where AA were operating. And AA is saying -- via press release too -- that all their BRU airport employees are fine and unharmed as far as they know.

And I'm not sure which part of the UN you are referring to in Brussels. I find way more EU and NATO governments institutions around that metro station than UN stuff. Very little senior UN stuff takes place in Brussels IME.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 6:50 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
I can imagine security being introduced on entry to the airport terminal in the near future, as it is in some of the more "interesting" destinations I travel to; you and your bags are scanned before you even get to a check in desk.

As for travel to BRU, I've cancelled my trip there from AMS next week. Not because I'm concerned about my personal safety, but because it will likely still be a total ball ache to get about the city. I will travel to AMS as intended.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by stimpy
The UN is in Geneva, Switzerland. If you meant the EU, they have buildings all over Brussels.
The subway attack was at Maelbeek. Offices above the station belong to the European Commission.
Source: nytimes.com
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
For anyone who really needs to get into Brussels at the moment, there are a number of smaller airports nearby. Antwerp, Charleroi and Rotterdam could be worth checking out and I believe bmi Regional fly into Liege airport, possibly from Munich. From the major airports of Amsterdam, Düsseldorf and Cologne the distance to drive is not unreasonable, if you wish to rent a car.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
The subway attack was at Maelbeek. Offices above the station belong to the European Commission.
Source: nytimes.com
Right but there are many many other EU offices all around Brussels, not to mention the parliament itself. And there are offices that don't belong to the EU Commission near that metro so I don't think you can automatically assume it was about the EU. Even closer to that metro is the Crowne Plaza hotel and Deutsche Welle offices. Who knows why they chose that metro?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Humans have an interesting inability to quantify risk. When we give into our irrational fears, the terrorists win. I have not been planning a trip to Europe, but if a great fare came up, I'd go. And I regularly travel to the most populous Islamic country in the world. I have a greater risk of being killed in an automobile accident within 25 miles of my home than in a terrorist attack. (OTOH, I am planning to avoid downtown Cleveland during the Republican Convention.)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Originally Posted by wrp96
Probably. Delta had a flight land as the attacks started and they parked it a remote gate and initially held passengers on the plane. Per Delta's website, they've deplaned the passengers now.
Similarly, United is reporting that flight 950 from IAD landed and deplaned normally at 7:01 while 999 from EWR which landed a bit later parked at a remote located where the pax deplaned. Reports put the explosion at "just before 8am" and flight aware shows UA999 as landing at 8:01 so they must have been way too far into their descent to divert.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:25 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Dear all,

Let's please stay on-topic. Questions about OMNI qualifications, politics, etc., can go elsewhere.

Thank you.

cblaisd, Moderator pro tempore, Europe forum.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by milepig
Similarly, United is reporting that flight 950 from IAD landed and deplaned normally at 7:01 while 999 from EWR which landed a bit later parked at a remote located where the pax deplaned. Reports put the explosion at "just before 8am" and flight aware shows UA999 as landing at 8:01 so they must have been way too far into their descent to divert.
one can only hope the IAD pax were not through immigration come 8am heading to the metro station.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:00 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Brussels Airport have announced that they hope to restore operations on Thursday. Airport will remain closed until then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.