Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Take the train from AMS to the Central Station?

Take the train from AMS to the Central Station?

Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Not sure when the OP will be in the Netherlands, but if it's before 16 May, I'd say check out the Keukenhof, one of the most gorgeous gardens on earth. That's why I go to the Netherlands in spring.
I will be in the Netherlands next week but as rain is being predicted for every day I won't be visiting the gardens unless there is a change in the weather.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster
I will be in the Netherlands next week but as rain is being predicted for every day I won't be visiting the gardens unless there is a change in the weather.
With Dutch weather, anything is possible...

I've been at the Keukenhof in the rain, and even in a downpour it's gorgeous. Just wear waterproof shoes.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Weather will be fine around AMS, mostly sunny. Might be a little cold on Tuesday and Wednesday but after that it will be really nice (18-21 degreees)
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Grouchy
Weather will be fine around AMS, mostly sunny. Might be a little cold on Tuesday and Wednesday but after that it will be really nice (18-21 degreees)
That is the best news I have had in a long time!
Old Jul 9, 2016, 2:45 pm

Thread is somewhat related to my situation - I'm in Amsterdam next month to watch Ajax, arriving from the Dutch Flyer to Amsterdam Centraal but I'm trying to work out my best play from there - in light of not being able to find anything remotely cheap in Amsterdam itself I was looking at a hotel in either Hilversum or Amersfoort (I head to Hannover the next morning and these are the first two stops on the train I'm looking at) and going there straight after the game. I'm going to it'd simply be easiest to buy singles from Amsterdam centre -> Biljmer Arena and from there to my hotel and just eat disposable chipkaart deposits?
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by jt82
Thread is somewhat related to my situation - I'm in Amsterdam next month to watch Ajax, arriving from the Dutch Flyer to Amsterdam Centraal but I'm trying to work out my best play from there - in light of not being able to find anything remotely cheap in Amsterdam itself I was looking at a hotel in either Hilversum or Amersfoort (I head to Hannover the next morning and these are the first two stops on the train I'm looking at) and going there straight after the game. I'm going to it'd simply be easiest to buy singles from Amsterdam centre -> Biljmer Arena and from there to my hotel and just eat disposable chipkaart deposits?
If you want to go to Biljmer Arena, you don't need to go via AMS Centraal, there are direct trains from the airport to Biljmer Arena.
Also to get from Biljmer Arena to either Amesfoort or Hilversum you don't need to go through AMS Centraal
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by jt82
Please note that the station is called Bijlmer Arena.

There are some new hotels close to that station that may be considerably cheaper than hotels in Amsterdam city center. And walking distance to the stadium.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:54 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
I'm looking at staying in Amsterdam for a night and would land in the afternoon. I'm also looking to stay near the central station, so can I buy a 1-Day Amsterdam Travel Ticket from discover holland and use it to get into the city and return? My confusion is the validity of the one day pass. Say I land at 3pm,does the pass run a full 24 hours to 3pm the next day, or is it till 4am the next day?

PS how is the weather in the first week of September?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by ewrfox
I'm looking at staying in Amsterdam for a night and would land in the afternoon. I'm also looking to stay near the central station, so can I buy a 1-Day Amsterdam Travel Ticket from discover holland and use it to get into the city and return? My confusion is the validity of the one day pass. Say I land at 3pm,does the pass run a full 24 hours to 3pm the next day, or is it till 4am the next day?

PS how is the weather in the first week of September?
Why buy that pass? Within Amsterdam center itself, you probably wont need to use transport (unless you are of limited mobility), as everything is pretty close together. And from the airport to the Centraal Station and back, you can just buy loose train tickets.

For visitors staying in Holland for extended amounts of time and doing lots of travelling, I would always reccommend to buy an OV Chipkaart (a rechargeable travel pass). Although this is quite expensive (6 euros) you can charge it with any amount of money you like and your travel will be MUCH cheaper than continuously buying loose tickets for train/subway/tram/bus. Just swipe it at the machine where you see everyone swipe their card until it goes BEEP and you're set, and don't forget to swipe when leaving the vehicle. You can keep the card for about 5 years I think until it expires, and it's just very convenient and a great investment if you will be travelling a lot. You can buy it at any cigarette shop or at supermarkt cigarette / service counters and any public transportation counter. You can charge it with money at the yellow ticket machines at AMS airport and at any train station or metro station or w/e.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 6:16 pm

3 day pass or separate train/GVB ticket?

Originally Posted by Dovster
I broke down today and bought the three-day pass on line. It gives me the train and about all of the public transportation in Amsterdam that I could use. It cost 25 Euros and I will wait and see if I want to get it for my last three days there as well.
How did the 3 day pass work for you? Is there any advantage to buying this versus buying the one-way train ticket and separate 72 hour GVB pass?

We are going next week, and may be getting an I amsterdam card that includes the GVB bus/tram/metro pass, but if not I might do this option.

Thanks,
Slbear
Old Jul 22, 2016, 4:48 am

You could also do as the Dutch do and rent a bike. By far the best way to get around in Amsterdam - if you dare
Old Jul 22, 2016, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slbear
How did the 3 day pass work for you?
It was convenient but the city is so small that I walked to most places and rarely used public transportation.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:51 pm

Going back to my previous question, I'll be in Amsterdam for less than 24 hours. Besides sightseeing, I was thinking of doing the Heinken experience. I'll be staying right next to central station, so to get there its a 35 min walk or take the tram. Instead of buying individual tickets, will a 2 day pass work the best for me or should I just walk it to Heinken?
Old Jul 29, 2016, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by ewrfox
Going back to my previous question, I'll be in Amsterdam for less than 24 hours. Besides sightseeing, I was thinking of doing the Heinken experience. I'll be staying right next to central station, so to get there its a 35 min walk or take the tram. Instead of buying individual tickets, will a 2 day pass work the best for me or should I just walk it to Heinken?
A 1 hour tram/metro/anything ticket is 2,90. So do the math yourself. That's about 5,80 for two ways (if you are not going anywhere else, probably not), while a 2 day pass is 12 something. Now 1 day is 7 something so if you are going anywhere else that might be an option for you. But as long as its in the center (and where you are going is at the edge of the center) you really don't need to unless you are of limited mobility.

Or walk which is 0 euros and takes you right through the center of Amsterdam which is beautiful.

I am pretty sure all this stuff is google-able too.

As for the Heineken experience itself I have nothing to say about it, it's the stuff only tourists will ever do and locals will never ever.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bakpapier
A 1 hour tram/metro/anything ticket is 2,90. So do the math yourself. That's about 5,80 for two ways (if you are not going anywhere else, probably not), while a 2 day pass is 12 something. Now 1 day is 7 something so if you are going anywhere else that might be an option for you. But as long as its in the center (and where you are going is at the edge of the center) you really don't need to unless you are of limited mobility.

Or walk which is 0 euros and takes you right through the center of Amsterdam which is beautiful.

I am pretty sure all this stuff is google-able too.

As for the Heineken experience itself I have nothing to say about it, it's the stuff only tourists will ever do and locals will never ever.
I do have to partake in one of the vice the city is popular for while I'm there, and drinking probably is the best option than hitting up a cafe...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.