Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does a friend in Europe wire money from her EU bank to my US bank account?

Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

What information will her EU bank branch need to initiate the wire transfer?

The amount in question is appx US$900.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Lots of people have been using

https://azimo.com/en/?home

There is a report here

http://www.headforpoints.com/2014/03...rs-with-azimo/

Otherwise she can transfer through her bank. They will ask for Bank name, address, sort and account codes or ask your bank for the Iban code.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intern...Account_Number

When I transfer I always do so in my local currency and have it converted at the receiving bank as the exchange is typically better.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Some of the early Skype employees have created transferwise.com which is a pretty unique approach to international transfers. It kind of follows the Skype model, except of course it isn't free. Has anyone tried this? I might give it a try.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
I have had to transfer money back and forth and I found transferwise to be a lot cheaper than doing bank transfers.

(I won't post my referral link because it's against FT TOS, but if you end up using it, send me a PM.)
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Palal
I have had to transfer money back and forth and I found transferwise to be a lot cheaper than doing bank transfers.
But is it really cheaper? From what I can tell it depends on how much you transfer. What is the point where it isn't cheaper? $1000?
Old Jan 14, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
I use WorldRemit to transfer funds from my UK account to my South African one and it's a flat fee if I recall correctly.

Costs about 80% less than my bank charges.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:05 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by stimpy
But is it really cheaper? From what I can tell it depends on how much you transfer. What is the point where it isn't cheaper? $1000?
The fee varies depending on currency. For EUR to USD transfers, it is 0.5% over the mid-market rate.

Transferwise will almost certainly be cheaper than a wire transfer at all banks for all amounts. However, there may be additional fees above GBP 24000 equivalent. If you did a wire transfer, you would be charged these same fees as well as other bank fees.

Wire transfers are very likely to use a rate with at least 1% spread, and there is no way to avoid this spread if you are transferring money between different people.

(If I personally needed to send EUR to USD between my own bank accounts at the absolute best possible rate, I would get the money into my eurozone HSBC account, use HSBC Global Transfer to send it to my Hong Kong HSBC, withdraw EUR cash in HKG and exchange it at a place which uses a 0.25% spread, deposit the USD cash and then send it to my US HSBC account. This is generally a waste of time even if I am already in HKG, so I would just send it to HK and exchange it electronically at one of my banks which uses a 0.5% spread.)
Old Jan 14, 2016, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by :D!
The fee varies depending on currency. For EUR to USD transfers, it is 0.5% over the mid-market rate.
So .5% over the mid-market rate equals nearly 1% it seems. According to the Transferwise website, if I send US$10,000 to Europe, the fee is $84.41. I'm quite sure that my bank doesn't charge anywhere near that much. You have to look at the exchange rate of course, but I'm not sure that Transferwise is wise for 4 or 5 figure transfers. Or am I missing something?
Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Generally speaking, most European consumer banks will charge both a spread and a fee for international payments, so should be avoided like the plague. A handful are more reasonable, Citibank at the Gold level isn't too bad IIRC for one example

For small sums of money, you generally want someone with no fees, as even a bad spread will beat a fixed fee. For larger sums, a $5-$10 payment/withdrawl/etc fee isn't too much of a worry, as long as the spread is low.

For this sort of amount, on a one-off, I think your best bet right now is Currency Fair. Sign up with this link and you'll get one free transfer (and so will I for referring you, for full disclosure). Have your friend send currencyfair the euros as a SEPA transfer, which should be free. Exchange on their marketplace for a 0.35% spread, and with a bit of patience you can even beat the mid-market rates. Then use the free transfer from the signup to have the USD deposited as a US-domestic transfer into your account

Last edited by stut; Jan 18, 2016 at 2:14 am Reason: Referral URL removed
Old Jan 16, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Some of the early Skype employees have created transferwise.com which is a pretty unique approach to international transfers. It kind of follows the Skype model, except of course it isn't free. Has anyone tried this? I might give it a try.
I used this to pay for some football tickets when they'd only accept bank transfers, as the fees i'd have to pay through my own bank (GBP>EUR) were exorbitant. Probably ends up being closer for larger transfers such as those the OP wants, but didn't have any issues with the transaction itself.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Banks will always be easier and you simply need your IBAN number for all international transfers.
Old Jan 16, 2016, 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Banks will always be easier and you simply need your IBAN number for all international transfers.
U.S. banks don't use IBAN so while a bank transfer is of course possible, you will need more information.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
As far as I know, US banks don't use the IBAN number (yet?).
Old May 5, 2016, 11:43 pm

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Bit dated thread. But for larger amounts
www.ofx.com (formerly ozforex) is also very good.

Transferwise probably wins on amounts below US$2k
Ozforex is very good one you get above their free threshould - around US$5k

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.