Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bratislava to Budapest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2015, 4:38 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Bratislava to Budapest

What is the easiest and cheapest way for a solo traveller to get from Bratislava to Budapest? The train seems to cost around 40 Euro - is this correct, and is it cheaper/more expensive to buy it on the day?

And is there a bus?

Thanks.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
There's a bis that runs from Bratislava airport through town then direct to Vienna airport and on into downtown Vienna, Central station. Good service I used it last year. Think it costs about 10 EUR

See timetable:

http://www.viennaairport.com/jart/pr...1195_de_en.pdf

Last edited by AlienInTheFatherland; Dec 16, 2015 at 11:11 am
Old Dec 16, 2015, 5:52 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013
What is the easiest and cheapest way for a solo traveller to get from Bratislava to Budapest? The train seems to cost around 40 Euro - is this correct, and is it cheaper/more expensive to buy it on the day?
May I ask where you see the €40 train fare? The round-trip fare from Bratislava to Budapest is €17.50 (second class). This is a walk-up fare, valid for one month. The round-trip fare is cheaper than the one-way fare, because Hungary and Slovakia have a bilateral agreement which gives significant discounts on second class round-trip tickets.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
Google is your friend: https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...0to%20budapest

Yields a few choice links:

Train EUR 18: http://www.seat61.com/international-...va_to_Budapest

Bus: EUR 9 with power socket and drinks (hot=free, cold=pay): http://czech-transport.com/index.php?id=12766
Old Dec 16, 2015, 1:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by railways
May I ask where you see the €40 train fare? The round-trip fare from Bratislava to Budapest is €17.50 (second class). This is a walk-up fare, valid for one month. The round-trip fare is cheaper than the one-way fare, because Hungary and Slovakia have a bilateral agreement which gives significant discounts on second class round-trip tickets.
Found 40 euro on OEBB website, and on UK.voyages sncf.

Thanks for the heads up, will just buy ticket on the spot if its €17.50

I was checking one-way, so that may explain the price.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by AlienInTheFatherland
There's a bis that runs from Bratislava airport through town then direct to Vienna airport and on into downtown Vienna, Central station.
Wrong direction, OP wants to go down, not up River Danube

Found 40 euro on OEBB website, and on UK.voyages sncf.

Thanks for the heads up, will just buy ticket on the spot if its €17.50

I was checking one-way, so that may explain the price.
Agree with other posters, original price is ridiculous. Walkup price is rather reasonable for train, though buses tend to be even cheaper. But train is more comfortable, so I would recommend that. OTOH, I think you're more likely to have WiFi on bus than train if that's important.

Eurolines, IIRC, among several that travel from Bratislava to Budapest to answer if there's bus service. For me though, being able to walk around on train beats the slight saving as well as having WiFi for a few hours. And if you can get in a German wagon, chances are good that you will have WiFi as well, maybe even one of Czech wagons.
Old Dec 17, 2015, 12:22 am

No German trains on this route, only Czech and Hungarian. The only chance of getting free wifi between Bratislava and Budapest is if you are on a Hungarian train in Hungarian territory; so the second half of the journey between Szob and Budapest.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 12:41 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
From Bratislava to Budapest you can usually find cheap seats with Student Agency buses. That will cost around 7 EUR, and you get a cup of coffee in the price! Buses depart from Bratislava's main bus station (Bratislava AS) and the journey takes about 2h 45min. Internet is free and you can select a seat when buying on the internet. I would recommend buying online as these buses are popular.

https://www.studentagency.eu/en/

JUST FOR ANYBODY WHO IS TRAVELLING BETWEEN BRATISLAVA AND VIENNA:
They've just reduced the cost of a single bus ticket between the two cities. That will now cost 5 EUR.
http://www.slovaklines.sk/main-page.html
These buses will only provide internet whilst in Austrian territory (which is the majority of the journey).

Last edited by headingwest; Dec 21, 2015 at 1:03 pm
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by headingwest
From Bratislava to Budapest you can usually find cheap seats with Student Agency buses. That will cost around 7 EUR, and you get a cup of coffee in the price!.
Wow, that is cheap

And if only 2 and a half hours, IIRC that's faster than train. It's just that the train is so much more comfortable.

And a note to those not familiar with Student Agency, you don't need to be a student to use it. It is a very established company.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Wow, that is cheap

And if only 2 and a half hours, IIRC that's faster than train. It's just that the train is so much more comfortable.

And a note to those not familiar with Student Agency, you don't need to be a student to use it. It is a very established company.
Exactly! The name is a bit deceptive!

I used them once and the journey was fine. Legroom is a bit tight but for that price you can't complain! The usually give you a newspaper to read and they have audio entertainment. I just checked the times and it shows 3 hours, but I think my journey took about 2h 45min.

This is why I love living in Eastern Europe...it's cheap!
Old Dec 21, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.

And is there a bus?

Thanks.
40 Euros???

I have a DB Bahn Card with RailPass discount, and my walk-up tickets between Bratislava and Budapest are around 14,50 or 14,90 EUR, IIRC. So a regular priced ticket would be less than 20 Euros.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta Platinum, HHonors Diamond, PC Platinum
It has been my experience that Student Agency's wifi works only in the Czech Republic, but it is a small sample size. Hot drinks, coffee and hot chocolate, are free but cold drinks cost money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.