Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

which airline is better to travel on going to Europe?

Old Nov 10, 2015, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

I hope I am writing this in the correct forum. I want to go to either Rome or Paris and I can travel using my united points on either Air Canada, Lufthansa, or Brussels airlines. It is in economy seating. What are your thoughts on which airline is the best. I can travel from New York to Rome on Air Canada or Lufthansa airlines or I can travel from New York to Paris on Brussels airline. Thank you all in advance for your answers
Old Nov 11, 2015, 3:01 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe, and Carbon Conscious Travel

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
They are pretty much equivalent in terms of comfort, IMO.

Brussels is a decent little airport and easy to transfer at, so that's a positive for Brussels Airline.

Frankfurt is a nightmare to transfer at, but Munich is very good, so that could be bad or good for Lufthansa.

Are Swiss or Austrian options?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:38 am

LH via MUC.

G
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Using points for economy travel often works out poor value, as the taxes and surcharges can make up the bulk of an economy ticket's cost, and those are normally still payable on award tickets.

Given that, I suspect you'll want to travel with whoever has the lowest taxes and fees for your given routing!
Old Nov 11, 2015, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Using points for economy travel often works out poor value, as the taxes and surcharges can make up the bulk of an economy ticket's cost, and those are normally still payable on award tickets.

Given that, I suspect you'll want to travel with whoever has the lowest taxes and fees for your given routing!
LH charges a ton of tax and surcharge. UA charges almost none. don't know about the others.

if you travel on LH metal on a UA codeshare, one does not have the huge surcharges. FRA hs a horrible arport for transfer.

award tickets to fco can be difficult to find on occasion
Old Nov 11, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: Delta AmEx Gold, United MileagePlus Explorer, Former Delta Silver Medallion & United Premier Silver
Originally Posted by stut
They are pretty much equivalent in terms of comfort, IMO.

Brussels is a decent little airport and easy to transfer at, so that's a positive for Brussels Airline.

Frankfurt is a nightmare to transfer at, but Munich is very good, so that could be bad or good for Lufthansa.

Are Swiss or Austrian options?
Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience as you (FRA A to Z is very easy but BRU A to B is a mess). But the issue is at FRA if you have to go to a terminal other than A or Z, then it is a mess I suppose. Still YMMV.

Anyways, if Swiss is an option for the original poster, that is the one I'd second.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Originally Posted by okamzikprosim
Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience as you (FRA A to Z is very easy but BRU A to B is a mess). But the issue is at FRA if you have to go to a terminal other than A or Z, then it is a mess I suppose. Still YMMV.

Anyways, if Swiss is an option for the original poster, that is the one I'd second.
I guess for going to Rome / Paris from New york, Swiss and Austrian would surely be an option..
My order of preference would be Swiss > Austrian > Lufthansa (preferably Munich)..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.