Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Christmas Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Advice on Christmas Itinerary

I'll admit right away that I need to do some additional research. But I would appreciate some thoughts on this itinerary.

Background: My mother has never been to continental Europe. Before my father's unexpected passing, he told me one of his wishes was to take her there (he had been many times for work). She is in her late 60's, but has some trouble walking for too long due to a bad knee.

As a Christmas present, I've offered to take her to some of the Christmas markets. My concern, and hers, is how her knee will hold up. I haven't been to the markets myself and have just started my research. Beyond that, she loves everything old and European, so we'll do more than just the markets.

I'm an experienced traveler, and know Europe fairly well. For this trip, I'm pretty familiar with Vienna, not quite as much with the other locations I'm considering.

Here's what I'm thinking. Feedback please, I can change anything at this point.

Dec. 19 or 20 - Arrive in Munich from the US. Need to research the Christmas markets here. Also thinking a trip to Dachau, as this would be of interest to both of us. Otherwise sightsee near the city center.

I don't plan to rent a car at any point as the train between these cities seems like a much better lower priced alternative.

Dec. 23 - Train from Munich to Vienna. Visit the Rathausplatz market. Then Schonbrunn on Christmas Day, as it appears to be open. I realize much will be closed early on the 24th. Sightsee in the city center (St. Stephens, Opera House, etc.). Probably would leave for the US around the 27th.

I'm thinking this general itinerary limits her walking, as the public transportation should be good, even if we take the U-bahn for a distance we would normally walk.

Some questions:
- Enough time in each place, too much time? Hard for me to judge as I haven't been in Europe during the holiday season.
- Since the length of the trip is still flexible, is it worth stopping in Salzburg? Would it be too much walking?
- I have not been to the Melk Abbey but thinking it might be something she'd like. It looks like we could fit that into a day trip...worth considering?
- Any suggestions on Munich Christmas markets?
- I'm not finding a lot so far in my research for Christmas Eve in Vienna. More work to do, but any thoughts are appreciated.
- Any other suggestions on what I should include in the trip?

Thank you for your help!
Old Sep 29, 2015, 2:56 pm

I've been to the Christmas Market in the Marienplatz numerous times in Munich. It is centrally located, large and quite festive. Given your mother's limitations with walking, there are a lot of cafes and restaurants on the Marienplatz, in case she needs to sit and rest for awhile. If you're inclined, you could stay at the Hilton which has an S-bahn station directly below and just a couple of stops from the Marienplatz.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Fly.

That looks like a good option. I see there is a Holiday Inn there too. I have Hilton points and Mom has IHG points, so something there might save a little money too.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:02 pm

The Hilton & Holiday Inn are essentially across the street from each other.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:49 am

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
The Hilton & Holiday Inn are essentially across the street from each other.
+1

My mother uses wheel chair and I can confirm that HI at Rosenheimer Platz is well suited - stayed there dozens of times. Very easy commute to Marienplatz and Hauptbahnhof for the train to Vienna.

I'd heavily question visiting Dachau in winter - there's a lot of walking involved and it will be most likely super cold. Have you seen Holocaust museum in D.C.?

mfk
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
I think the time in each city is OK. Not too long.
I wouldn't add more to the itinery if I was taking one of my parents (In my experience, everything takes longer than expected). And with knee trouble you have to factor in frequent rests and slow walking.
Better to have a relaxing time - and part of the idea of the trip would also be to spend some nice time together (cafes, nice meals etc), I suppose.
And the weather is an unknown factor : if it's very cold, you'll have to take a certain amount of indoor breaks.

Notice that Europe in general is very closed at Christmas (even many restaurants).
It does seem that some of the Christmas Markets in Vienna are open on the 25. and 26. :
https://www.google.dk/url?q=http://w...-5Ap5TJwtgslGQ

If you are planning to travel between Munich and Vienna on the 23., I would suggest booking tickets well beforehand (I don't know about Germany and Austria but in Denmark that is a very, very busy travel day).

There are several Christmas markets in Munich :
http://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/home_...s/Weitere-CM_e

I wish you and your mother a very nice holiday.

Last edited by helosc; Sep 30, 2015 at 5:59 am
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.

I will reconsider Dachau. There's enough in Munich to keep us busy.

I'm still a little worried about Christmas Eve. I've found a list of restaurants open on the 24th on the Vienna tourist site, but that's about it. On the 25th I think we would go to one of the open Christmas markets, probably Schonbrunn.

Any recommendations for Christmas Eve in Vienna?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 7:23 am

If you'll be wanting a Christmas dinner :
Check out if the hotel you'll be staying at has a special Christmas Dinner Event.
And the restaurants that are open would probably serve a special meal.
Early reservation is probably a good idea.

If you are trying to avoid a Christmas dinner :
Some ethnic restaurants would probably be open.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 8:03 am

While in Munich, I would definitely take her to Dallmayr which is a short walk from the Marienplatz. I'd walk around the first floor and take in all of the wonderful sights and smells of the gourmet items. It'll be very festive looking at Christmas. I'd then take your mother upstairs to the café either for lunch or a mid-afternoon break for cake & coffee/tea.

While in Vienna, you could always consider the restaurants in a full service hotel on the 24th & 25th, if you don't come up with any other choices.

Last edited by FLYMSY; Sep 30, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Old Sep 30, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Did the trip in the opposite direction a few years ago Vienna->Salzburg->Munich, by train, but a earlier in the Christmas Market season. I'd say:
- Your time in each place seems about right.
- Like FLYMSY said, the Marienplatz Christmas Market is worth seeing and has easy access. The transit system in Munich will get you and your Mom there with a minimum of walking. One of our favorite Munich restaurants is Weisses Bräuhaus just off the Marienplatz.
- Salzburg as a town is worth going to, but the Christmas Market there is pretty small. Being smaller, things are close, but Salzburg doesn't have the transit systems that Munich and Vienna have. We used the busses and got around pretty well (but also walked a lot by choice). Tip: Deutsche Bahn provides service between Munich and Salzburg so we were able to use the Bavaria Ticket to get a great fare.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Good stuff...good to see I have the times in each place about right.

I think we'll skip Salzburg, unless Mom really wants to stop there.

I think we'd be interested in a nicer dinner on the 24th, if possible. Once we book the trip and have a hotel, I will look into that more. Thanks to all for the restaurant recommendations. Dallmayr looks like a nice spot for a warm up break.

If you think of any other suggestions, please post! I haven't traveled with my mother in probably 25 years, and was a little nervous that I couldn't plan a trip that we would both love, but these ideas are really helping.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 6:11 am

Had a little look for Christmas dinners :

The Hiltons don't seem to have any information up yet.
The Bristol hotel has a Christmas dinner for 125€
http://www.bristolvienna.com/en/christmas-in-vienna
Another hotel restaurant Stefanie/Schick for 65€:
https://www.schick-hotels.com/en/res...tradition.html

Found this restaurant which offers Christmas dinner:
http://www.derkuckuck.com/Restaurant...ihnachten.html
This year's menu isn't up yet.

This should give you an idea of what is being offered; menuwise and pricewise.
I guess you'll just have to choose some possible restaurants and check what they offer for Christmas eve - And book a table well ahead of time.
Old Oct 1, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
I spent Christmas-NYE week last year in Budapest, Vienna and Prague. We were still in Budapest at Christmas, so I can't address closures in Vienna.

The one thing that was an issue was the weather. It was much colder and snowier than we expected. Coming from NYC, we're used to winter. What we were not expecting was how the show was handled there. Getting out of a taxi in front of our Vienna hotel, I almost went right down on the ice. When I asked the hotel why the show and ice weren't shoveled, they looked confused and explained that it was the "winter service." Apparently rather than clearing the sidewalks, they just toss gravel over it. I even took a photo:

The was the sidewalk leading up to Schonbrunn Palace, covered in snow and gravel.

If you're lucky, it won't snow while you're there - we had trouble sometimes walking around the messy streets - but be prepared, just in case (I see you're from ORD, so I'm sure you have no shortage of snow boots!).
Old Oct 1, 2015, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks helosc!

I had seen derkuckuck on another site as well. I usually stay at the Marriotts in Vienna though so don't have a good idea of other hotels that would have a nice dinner. I appreciate the links very much!
Old Nov 21, 2015, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Bumping this thread with a couple more questions for the experts. You've all been very helpful so far!

We will be in Vienna on 24-28 December, and I'm wondering what we should expect for closures, particularly on 25-26. I've checked all the tourist sites, but can't find a lot of information on restaurants and transportation.

Are restaurant openings on the 25th limited as on the 24th? Can I assume back to normal on the 26th?

We are planning on going to Schonbrunn on the 25th. Will trains be running normally, or will it be a less frequent schedule?

Thanks to everyone's previous input, I think these are the last little things I need to consider. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.