Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to see most of Bucharest in ... few hours?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2015, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: price is a king

hey FTers

I'll be travelling to Bucharest end of October for few days of business meetings and I'm planning to have some time in the evenings to walk around. It is going to be my first time there.

What are top DOs and top DONTs in your opinion? Anything off the beaten path? Shall I get a private tour guide to optimize my stay?

I'll be staying with airbnb in the old town

thx in advance for hints, I'll do some homework in the next few weeks

best
mfk
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
I think Ceausescu's palace (whatever it's called these days) is on the DO list - rather impressive and also very sad when you know how much of the historical city was razed to make place for it.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Been a few years since I was there and it was last minute so I didn't plan anything!

But the Citadella was probably the highlight for me. Great views.

I also remember doing a coach tour, but can't remember the details. But if you are doing this after work then times probably don't work out.

The parliament is also very nice, Hero's square was good but a bit further out.

Other than that, I remember spending a lot of time just walking around.
Old Sep 24, 2015, 1:53 pm

Programs: AF/KL platinum, Turkish gold, QR gold
Are your sightseeing hours limited to evenings only?

If so, it's mostly down to walking around, grab a good dinner, some drinks, and perhaps some shopping as most shops close very late.

For starters, a walk across Calea Victoriei (the historical thoroughfare with most buildings of interest) and the old town (Strada Lipscani and surroundings) are a must and can be easily done without guide. But if interested in either the history of the '89 Revolution or Bucharest's origins, a guide can be helpful as the city is a bit of a strange mix between the old, new, beauty and ugly, with some historic traces or places of historical significanse hard to see if you dont know where to look for it.

The must-eat place is Caru cu Bere for good Romanian food. Reserve if with a group around lunch or dinner, or wanting a prime spot in the main dining area, as the basement while still great has less impressive surroundings. Yes it can be touristy, but the food of this oldest restaurant in town and the sheer beauty of the place is great and it is equally popular among Romanians from in and out of town alike.

If you have other preferences/interests when it comes to food/bars/nightlife (eg. wine tasting, off the beaten track bars) I can give you much more places of interest. As well as sightseeing tips if you have time during the day!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 1:16 am

Programs: Mainly Hilton Hhonors, SAS Eurobonus
And I can recommend the restaurant 'The Artist' :
http://theartist.ro

The spoon tasting menu is fun.

And if you like museums maybe a quick look through the Museum of the Romanian Peasant. I went there to see the 'Communist Iconography Museum' which is a small exhibition in the cellar. And they have a very good shop.
I think that they are only open til 6 pm though.

I have been to Bucharest twice and I enjoyed simply walking around more or less randomly, trying to get to know this very contrastive and interesting city.

Last edited by helosc; Sep 25, 2015 at 1:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.