Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

12 day trip - paris, barcelona and madrid - a good idea?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2015, 8:46 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,
I am planning a 12 day trip in October.
I want to go to Paris, Barcelona and Madrid.
Here is the itinerary that I've made up so far.
Fly to Paris on 20th - land on 21st (Wednesday). Stay in Paris until the 25th (Sunday)
Fly to Barcelona and stay there until the 29th (Thursday)
Leave to Madrid by high speed train and stay there until November 1st (Sunday).
Am I doing too much? I really want to go to all three cities, but also don't want to have a too crammed trip.
Thanks for any feedback
Old Sep 9, 2015, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by Rob Foster
Hi all,
I am planning a 12 day trip in October.
I want to go to Paris, Barcelona and Madrid.
Here is the itinerary that I've made up so far.
Fly to Paris on 20th - land on 21st (Wednesday). Stay in Paris until the 25th (Sunday)
Am I doing too much? I really want to go to all three cities, but also don't want to have a too crammed trip.
Thanks for any feedback
Just about right. Some people would propose to add a day here (e.g. Paris) or subtract another there, but what you propose is about OK. Go ahead.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 3:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KLouis
Just about right. Some people would propose to add a day here (e.g. Paris) or subtract another there, but what you propose is about OK. Go ahead.
+1
Makes a change from the usual one country per day itinerary !
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:12 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
+1
Makes a change from the usual one country per day itinerary !
Of course you can do the whole journey via TGV to avoid Barcelona airport and Paris for a second time.I'm sure you could price it cheaper too.

www.seat61.com
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:27 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by Rob Foster
Take the TGV from Paris to Barcelona.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd suggest doing just Barcelona and Madrid, with more than half of the time in Barcelona. With the travel days gone, you don't have enough time in either Paris or Barcelona. It's really just three full days in each of Paris and Barcelona and one full day in Madrid.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:49 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd suggest doing just Barcelona and Madrid, with more than half of the time in Barcelona. With the travel days gone, you don't have enough time in either Paris or Barcelona. It's really just three full days in each of Paris and Barcelona and one full day in Madrid.
The AVE train travel time from BCN to MAD is between 2:45 and 3:15 hours, depending on the number of stops en route. That gives the OP 2 to 2 1/2 days in Madrid, part of October 29th plus the 30th and 31st, before heading home on Nov 1.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TWA884
The AVE train travel time from BCN to MAD is between 2:45 and 3:15 hours, depending on the number of stops en route. That gives the OP 2 to 2 1/2 days in Madrid, part of October 29th plus the 30th and 31st, before heading home on Nov 1.
OOPs...I was thinking 30 days hath November, so my count was off by one for Madrid.

However, I think you're being a bit optimistic about what can realistically be done on travel days. Even with just three hours between cities, one needs to allow for packing an checking out of the hotel, getting to the train/airport on time (allowing for delays and other problems, including finding the correct track or gate), checking in to new hotel and getting one's orientation, finding local transportation, etc. There will be some time to walk around the city a bit and have drinks and dinner, but not to visit museums, etc. unless there are special late hours that day.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 10, 2015 at 12:57 am
Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I don't think the trip is too crammed. As others have pointed out, don't under-estimate the time eaten by travel days and plan accordingly.

I would absolutely plan this itinerary for myself. Just plan your time efficiently. Figure out what you want to do and see each day in advance of your trip. You will tweak when you get there, but that will ensure you have no regrets. You have enough time in each city to see the sights and enjoy.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
However, I think you're being a bit optimistic about what can realistically be done on travel days. Even with just three hours between cities, one needs to allow for packing an checking out of the hotel, getting to the train/airport on time (allowing for delays and other problems, including finding the correct track or gate), checking in to new hotel and getting one's orientation, finding local transportation, etc.
I did it recently. The train stations are centrally located in both cities. It took less than five hours door to door from one hotel to the next; actually, closer to four. If the OP catches the 8:00 am train from Barcelona, he'll be in the hotel in Madrid before noon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.