Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Overnight layover in Vienna

Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al

I have an overnight layover in Vienna later in the month (in around 5PM, out around 10AM). Was planning to take train into City and stay downtown to be able to walk around some; this is my second time to Vienna. I am wondering if with possible issues it might be better to stay closer to the airport, and just take a train into a different station other than the HBF. Thoughts and suggestions? Would like to be around or under 200 for the room.
Thanks,
TRRed
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:51 am

Trains from the airport arrive at Wien Mitte, not Hbf (unless you take one of the rare two-hourly ICEs bound for Germany).

The Wien Mitte/Landstrae area will propably also be your best bet for accomodation, there is nothing of interest closer to the airport except for the NH directly at VIE.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Marriott, Starwood, et al
Thanks (and for the correction). I was equating Hbf and Wien Mitte incorrectly.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I had a much longer layover earlier this year, and found the trains to city center most excellent ^

Days are getting shorter, but from pictures I believe monuments are well lit.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I have been to Vienna a couple of times before and will be going again this December (Christmas Market tour)
Vienna is a great city any time of the year but keep in mind that the level of activity drops after about 10 pm at night. This is unlike Paris where you have lots of foot traffic well into the small hours of the morning.
This time I am staying at the Hilton (I am kind of loyal to Hilton and Hyatt).
http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/aus...WTW/index.html
this is the hotel. it is closer to the city center and the cost is around 200 US$

Last time I stayed at a great B&W hotel very close to the market and a couple of blocks from the opera. it was simple and very nice. They recently remodeled the place and the price is higher.
http://www.hotel-beethoven.at/home.php?lang=en

I think you could certainly enjoy a few hours in Vienna. You could wake up earlier and go for a walk and enjoy the city as it wakes up.
I am more of a morning person and love to wake up early and just go out for a walk; find some coffee and enjoy the quiet morning.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.