Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone used the Istanbul Tourist Pass?

Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold

Curious if anyone here has any experience with the Istanbul Tourist Pass. They offer two passes; I'm looking at the less expensive "Essentials" pass for US$70:
http://www.istanbultouristpass.com/essential-classic/
  • Skip-the-line Access Ticket to Topkapi Palace Museum
  • Skip-the-line Access Ticket to Hagia Sophia Museum
  • 24-hour Hop-on Hop-off City Bus Tour with Big-Bus
  • Access Ticket to Bosphorus or Golden Horn Boat Tour
  • The Bosphorus menu at the Hard Rock Cafe
  • “Dream of Turkey” at the XD Cinema
  • Personal Trip Adviser Support

Would it be worthwhile to get this package deal? I'm most focused on the Skip-the-Line aspect of going to Hagia Sophia and Topkapi. Are the lines really that bad? Will be visiting on a Monday and Tuesday.

The addition of the Bosphorus Boat Tour is good as well, since we were planning on a short excursion.

As for the rest: I was just going to take public transit; probably would skip the Hard Rock and movie; and I should be self-sufficient enough not to need their support, but you never know.

Thanks.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:55 am

Programs: eurobonus, flying blue, a club, hilton hhonors
I think that you'll have a cheaper deal just buying the tickets separately. 70USD = 210TL. The entrance to Hagia Sophia is 30TL, Topkapı is 30TL + 15TL for access to the Harem. The Hop-on-hop-off is 25EUR (75TL) for 24 hours. I would just get an Istanbulkart (prepaid travel card) and use the trams/metro to get around. Each ride is 3-4TL.

The lines haven't been as bad when I've been there. The 'skip the line' at Hagia Sophia and Topkapı means the ticket line. There is no 'fast track'.

All together, if you just go to these things, youll spend 150TL to buy these tickets separately. Passes are normally only a good deal if you use all or almost all of the activities. Not sure how much a Bospherus cruise would be, as I haven't taken one yet.

Assuming you're staying near Taksim, I would take the metro from Taksim to the Vezneciler stop, then walk through the University to the Grand Bazaar. From the Grand Bazaar it's a short walk to Hagia Sophia (30TL). Check out the Basilica Cistern when you're there (20TL), and the blue mosque (also known as Sultanahmet Mosque - Free to come in, except for during prayer times, when non-muslim are not allowed. They provide scarves/coverings for free to women to cover their hair and shoulders, as well as to men with shorts). Topkapı is just behind Hagia Sophia (30TL + 15TL for the Harem), and then you can take a short walk to the Spice/Egyptian Bazaar. The tram leaves just outside the Egyptian Bazaar which takes you to Kabatas, and you take the funicular up to Taksim again. All-in, this will set you back 95TL in admission fees and around 10TL in public transport.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Thank you for breaking it down for me ^

Looking forward to our visit!
Old Sep 12, 2015, 3:39 pm
Ambassador: Peru

Programs: LanPass Premium, AA (former gold), MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
24-hour Hop-on Hop-off City Bus Tour with Big-Bus
I like hop on/off buses since they are practical for transport on a flat rate. And the red route fits perfect to my itinerary. However I've read traffic is heavy in Istambul. Is it a good decision to use this bus, or is it better to take advantage of trams and metros?

And, if traffic is too crowded and bus takes too much, is it lighter on sundays?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Originally Posted by Villavic
I like hop on/off buses since they are practical for transport on a flat rate. And the red route fits perfect to my itinerary. However I've read traffic is heavy in Istambul. Is it a good decision to use this bus, or is it better to take advantage of trams and metros?

And, if traffic is too crowded and bus takes too much, is it lighter on sundays?
Public transport trams and metros in Istanbul are really good and pretty cheap. They run frequently. It's hard to justify the cost of the hop on/off bus if you're just using it as transport. And I say that as a fan of hop on/off bus lines in general. But they can be very frustrating to wait on the next bus. For the OP, yes, even in my one-time very off-season experience, ticket lines at Hagia Sophia or Topkapi can be pretty bad. I'd hate to see them in summer.

And if you aren't using public transport, you miss the fun of the Tunel line -- world's third oldest and shortest metro, and darn convenient for getting you up that hill.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.