Search

Best way from Budapest to Vienna

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver, OW Ruby
Best way from Budapest to Vienna

Hey all,

Does anyone know a good way, preferably without a car, to get from Budapest to Vienna mid next week? I had booked the train months ago, but it looks like they won't be running.

(mods, I know there is another thread about Budapest already, but its quite general, and this is more of a specific question)
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:59 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Also have a look at the general Budapest rail thread here.

The hydrofoil appears to be running and taking bookings, but I've heard no reports.

There are bus services bookable online. You may see extra delays. One of the bigger ones is Orangeways: http://orangeways.com/en - there are still seats available, but they're selling out.

Flights are getting to silly prices.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 10:01 am

There is some good info here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europ...re-status.html

Apparently the best (and only) way to Austria currently is via Györ and Hegyeshalom. It will take about one hour longer than under normal circumstances, so plan for that and also it may take a lot longer than usual to get into Keleti station and to the platform.

See here: http://ftp-pv.oebb.at/mcc_stoerung/b...zze_Ungarn.pdf

Wouldn't count on the bus service either since the refugees now started marching towards Austria via the motorway. Also, in light of the recent death of some 70 refugees on the Austrian A4 motorway police are conducting very thorough checks of cars and busses coming from Hungary, further delaying your journey.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: Aegean Miles & Bonus Blue (not much but I'm still a newbie :)
I wouldn't recommend OrangeWays, they earned quite a bad reputation recently for being unreliable. (One of my friends was almost left in Kraków at night because of them.) The official site of Hungarian Railways recommends two ways to get to Hegyeshalom, from where EuroNight trains leave: through Győr, as mentioned above, and by a direct Budapest-Hegyeshalom train called Arrabona Intercity, which leaves Keleti station at 20:10.

source (in Hungarian):
http://www.mavcsoport.hu/havaria/bud...yugat-europaba
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Any update? From a quick search, it seems that the trains from Budapest to Vienna are running fine?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
It's been back to normal since October or so (after Hungary sealed its Southern borders to undocumented mass migration)
Old Feb 26, 2016, 6:12 pm

Headed to Budapest in a week..car or train to Vienna?

We are headed to Budapest in a week for the first time. I am an experienced international driver including some really awesome times in Malta on the wrong side of the car and road .

Should we (myself, pregnant wife and bro/sis in law) rent a car and drive or take a train? We are staying one night in Vienna and attending the Opera!
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
How to buy train tix from Budapest to Vienna and vv from the US?
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by HSaxa
www.raileurope.com
Old Feb 26, 2016, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by williambell
We are headed to Budapest in a week for the first time. I am an experienced international driver including some really awesome times in Malta on the wrong side of the car and road .

Should we (myself, pregnant wife and bro/sis in law) rent a car and drive or take a train? We are staying one night in Vienna and attending the Opera!
This really comes down to personal preference. With four people I would probably grab a car. It won't be expensive and would allow you convenience and flexibility. Be aware though, that many central hotels will probably charge a fee for parking.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: *G
Any update? From a quick search, it seems that the trains from Budapest to Vienna are running fine?
yep
http://www.oebb.at/en/ - straight from the train operator

Originally Posted by williambell

drive is a straight shot on the M1. nothing exciting, nothing difficult either. just some construction exiting budapest, and buy a vignette (toll sticker) at the border entering austria. altho if its international rental, maybe its covered.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:34 am

Thank you for filling me in! I think the car is the best route...saves us a ton of $
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
If it's a one-way rental, it'll cost you a ton. If return, all's good. The motorway stickers are only pre-paid for Hungary (if the car is Hungarian registered - sometimes you may get one with Austrian or German plates) so you'll need to buy one at the Austrian side.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 8:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
If it's a one-way rental, it'll cost you a ton. If return, all's good. The motorway stickers are only pre-paid for Hungary (if the car is Hungarian registered - sometimes you may get one with Austrian or German plates) so you'll need to buy one at the Austrian side.
...and make sure you do get an Austrian sticker (Vignette). You can buy it at gas stations in neighbouring countries before you cross. It will cost you about €8-10 euro for the minimum 10-day duration. Fix the sticker to the inside of the windshield. Absolutely essential. The last time I chanced a 4km drive on an Austrian Autobahn without one, I got a €120 fine and an hour's search of my car.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:44 am

Location: my heart is on the shores of the north Italian lakes
Programs: LX Senator Lifetime, Relais&Chateaux Club5C, ex ! "Amanjunkie", ex LHW LC, hate chain hotels
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
Absolutely essential. The last time I chanced a 4km drive on an Austrian Autobahn without one, I got a €120 fine and an hour's search of my car.
The search of your car you might well get also having the sticker. Unfortunately the Schengen space is not anymore what it was and the Austrians are (rightly) strict.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.