Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What type of travel plug ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:20 am
Original Poster

What type of travel plug ?

We will be in Prague , Nuremberg and Budapest for a few days and I was wondering what type of outlet adapter I will need for these countries. Traveling from the US.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Here you go:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=power+adaptor+for+prague
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=power+adaptor+for+nuremberg
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=power+adaptor+for+budapest
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Thanks-Why didn't I think of that?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
If you're bringing a laptop or expensive equipment, I'd recommend looking at a converter rather than just an outlet adapter. Check the spec book or Google the specs for that particular item to find out if you may need one.

Otherwise, there is a slightly different adapter for northern and Southern Europe...I can't recall which one is used in Hungary, but since they are only a couple dollars, you might want to get both. I always bring both types and find that sometimes I'm able to use them both at the same time.

I've had no issues using the simple adapter plugs for phones, cameras, and iPads.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:14 pm

You should be able to find a proper adapter in one of those cities easily.
Every smaller and bigger electronics store has one in stock.
Double check your chargers/devices if they can deal with 240V.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 9:18 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by JBord
If you're bringing a laptop or expensive equipment, I'd recommend looking at a converter rather than just an outlet adapter. Check the spec book or Google the specs for that particular item to find out if you may need one.

Otherwise, there is a slightly different adapter for northern and Southern Europe...I can't recall which one is used in Hungary, but since they are only a couple dollars, you might want to get both. I always bring both types and find that sometimes I'm able to use them both at the same time.

I've had no issues using the simple adapter plugs for phones, cameras, and iPads.
Hungary is the same as the most of Europe
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: MUCCI
If you're bringing a laptop or expensive equipment, I'd recommend looking at a converter rather than just an outlet adapter.
Disagree, most modern equipment is dual rated, assuming it is then it will be fine.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by David-A
Disagree, most modern equipment is dual rated, assuming it is then it will be fine.
Which is why I recommended checking the specs before purchasing a converter, to see if it was necessary .

I get by just fine with the adapters all over the world, but thought it wise for the OP to at least check.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 2:03 am

Programs: MUCCI
Which is why I recommended checking the specs before purchasing a converter, to see if it was necessary .

I get by just fine with the adapters all over the world, but thought it wise for the OP to at least check.
Obvioulsy check the device, I will return to that in a moment. However the reason I said I disagreed was because that's not what I read your previous post as actually saying. To me, your previous post is actually saying that "for high value items, get a converter (regardless)".

I know you say in the next sentence to check the spec, but if this is your meaning I don't understand the 'high value items' bit in the sentence before. Even if the item is easily replaced and unimportant, do NOT go plugging it in without checking specs. Hence, the only logical meaning I could take from your post was an advocation of using voltage converters on high value items regardless of whether they were necessary based upon spec. And it was this I was disagreeing with.

I also would not recommend googling specs but rather checking the spec on the device itself. Some items are manufactured under largely the same codes (sometimes exactly the same) with voltage specific power supplies in different markets. Or in some cases, with both voltage specific and also multi-voltage power supplies on different versions under the same code produced at different times, or to keep flexibility of market.
So, if just searching for an XYZ-123 it may not necessarily be the same XYZ-123 that you have that they are talking about. However the label on the device should say with regard to your specific one.
Indeed, even in the same country, I've seen same devices sold with both 110V and also 110-230V supplies on different instances. (And the other way too).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:37 am

It is also worth mentioning that if you really need a converter (not just adapter) it is essential to check its specs as well. Typically devices that require specific voltage require also so much power that small converters cannot handle it. That's why converters are not usually of much value for travellers. Single voltage devices are usually ones that create heat like hair dryers. If you need one for travelling, it is better to buy dual voltage one or different device for travels in countries with different voltage.

But it is always best to check, because wrong voltage and therefore wrong current is a real fire hazard.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 6:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Don't use a converter with a hair dryer.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by manneca
Don't use a converter with a hair dryer.
Speaking from experience?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by David-A
Obvioulsy check the device, I will return to that in a moment. However the reason I said I disagreed was because that's not what I read your previous post as actually saying. To me, your previous post is actually saying that "for high value items, get a converter (regardless)".

I know you say in the next sentence to check the spec, but if this is your meaning I don't understand the 'high value items' bit in the sentence before. Even if the item is easily replaced and unimportant, do NOT go plugging it in without checking specs. Hence, the only logical meaning I could take from your post was an advocation of using voltage converters on high value items regardless of whether they were necessary based upon spec. And it was this I was disagreeing with.

I also would not recommend googling specs but rather checking the spec on the device itself.
Not my intent, thanks for clarifying. Admittedly, I was worried more about destroying the device than setting the hotel room on fire when I wrote that, but you are correct, the price of the equipment is irrelevant.

I've had difficulty (as an electricity novice), checking specs on devices. On some it is clear to me, but on my iPad for example it wasn't obvious to me. A quick google search (years ago) brought me to the Apple site where it was written in pretty plain English.

Bottom line, I think we agree the OP should be able to get by with cheap adapters, but if it's unclear for any device a simple spec lookup should confirm.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 8:52 am

With the latest Apple chargers you are on the safe side. All of them can handle 110V as well as 240V.
You should be able to find the specs on all Apple chargers (at least on Original Apple products). See here:
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:17 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've charged an Apple MINI I-PAD in Zurich with NO problems. [On 240V it fully charges faster than on 110V].
I've come across hotels, that have 110V (US Style) outlets, for shavers and low amp charging.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.