Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to see Prague?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Best way to see Prague?

We will be in Prague 3 days and I am trying to put together a time table for our time there-and I need help, please. Is it best just to read about the city and then list what we want to see and arrange to see them on our own? Or is it best to find a local guide or tour that covers what we want to see? I speak no Czech and only deep south english. I want to make the best of our time there. Also, are there places outside Prague that we should try to include in our days there such as major cathedrals, castles , WWII historical sites, or the like? Any and all help will be appreciated as usual.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:32 pm

Programs: price is a king
hey there,

it REALLY depends on your budget and your time (preparation and on-site). If you're fine with spending few hundred dollars you might get local guide showing you around.

I do hire local guides (sometimes locals are puzzled on how much I spend) if I'm in the city for a limited amount of time and there's a chance I won't be back there anytime soon.

If you have more time than money go ahead and search this forum for hints - I bet you will be able to create month-long itinerary. Happy to advise on specifics.

mfk
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
I was just there last summer and toured it all on my own. You might want a guide for certain tours, such as Prague Castle, but overall I don't think you'll need one.

It's a very easy city to walk, nearly everyone speaks at least a little English in the tourist areas. My driver to/from the airport, hotel personnel, and waiters all spoke English fairly well. Most menus are in English or you can ask for one.

Prague is a huge destination for British stag parties, so you can see why English would be common there.

In 3 days, I wouldn't recommend leaving the city. There is a lot to see and do in Prague.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I found it easy to navigate Prague by walking on my own. The only problem was crowds (of drunks in some cases) blocking the streets in the old town and across the river, on the way to the castle.

I'd avoid a group tour.

In plannning your itinerary, pay attention to opening hours of museums etc. as well as their closing days, which vary. I also found that a few smaller museums had moved or closed and this information wasn't updated in the published tourist information sources that were being distributed by the city and national tourist offices in Prague (which are good sources of free maps if your hotel doesn't supply a good one).
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

I'd avoid a group tour.
This is good advice. OP, even if you want a guide, consider a private tour rather than a group. When I was at Prague Castle, I overheard a woman speaking in English about the history of the castle to a single tourist. I listened in for a bit and got a free 7 minutes .

But it seemed to me that it was much more in depth than group tours I've been on. I meant to look up the cost of a private tour, but never got around to it. I would definitely look into a private tour if you decide to do one.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'd avoid a group tour.
+1
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
3 Days in Prague!

3 Days in Prague is not enough, it is a beautiful city and easy to walk around buy a book of 10 tickets and I believe it is 1.20 each Euro and make sure you stamp them when you ride one of their public transportation to avoid fine.
There is easy bus,subway,Trams to all of the attractions there, I don't think you need any tour guide if you just read some of them online.

Walk around Jewish Quarter and try out their foods and go to Grand Center Market.
http://visitbudapest.travel/guide/bu...l-market-hall/

I love to go to Drum Cafe downtown, good local foods and cheap.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...l_Hungary.html

https://www.pragueexperience.com/tra...-transport.asp
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by karung99
3 Days in Prague is not enough, it is a beautiful city and easy to walk around buy a book of 10 tickets and I believe it is 1.20 each Euro and make sure you stamp them when you ride one of their public transportation to avoid fine.
There is easy bus,subway,Trams to all of the attractions there, I don't think you need any tour guide if you just read some of them online.

Walk around Jewish Quarter and try out their foods and go to Grand Center Market.
http://visitbudapest.travel/guide/bu...l-market-hall/

I love to go to Drum Cafe downtown, good local foods and cheap.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...l_Hungary.html

https://www.pragueexperience.com/tra...-transport.asp
Your first two links are for Budapest (another great city!), although I would second the idea that the OP should spend time in the Jewish Quarter in Prague.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
I find a map and walking is the best way. Or use the trams, subways and buses. Take a guide book or if nothing else printout wikitravel guide to Prague.

I found the Museum of Communism fascinating. That is if you like modern history. It seems to be a small private museum in a shopping mall. But don't let that put you off.

http://muzeumkomunismu.cz/
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:23 pm

Prague really is easy to do on your own, even if you don't speak Czech. However, if you really want to know the history and the stories behind, you have to do your homework in advance and study a bit.

If you want just an easy guide to get a feel for the city and hear the most important info, you can go for the Free walking tours, they are in every city. You pay at the end and the amount is up to you.

If you'll consider doing something more special (learning to pour beer, having a cooking class at a chef's home, visiting a vineyard on the outskirts of the city..), consult e.g. Travelove - you can book individual activities too: http://www.mytravelove.com/trip/fall...ve-with-prague
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:31 pm

Three days is the perfect length to see Prague. It was very easy to find English speakers both inside and outside tourist areas. On my last trip my preference was to stay at a Airbnb in order to be just outside the tourist zone and absorb more of the true city. After two days, I felt we saw all the highlights of the city, so on the third day we boarded a boat that took us to the Prague Zoo. It was a great way to spend the morning. After four hours we elected to take a bus (instead of a return boat trip) back to the city center.

Prague is still behind the tourist infrastructure of Budapest and Vienna; but that also gives it their special vibe. I found it quite easy to strike up conversations with the locals, but again we were only in the big tourist areas just long enough to see the sights.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't miss the Kafka museum just across the river, including the modern sculpture in its courtyard.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 12:16 pm

there are good self-guided tours of Prague in the Eye Witness and Rick Steves guidebooks. there are a lot of things you might want to stop and linger - cafes, gift stores, etc. - so being in a group is not ideal.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: TK*G, KL, AB
If you're really set on getting out of the city, you could consider the following, which can all be done as an easy day trip.

Karlštejn - probably the most famous real Czech castle (the Prague castle isn't really a castle for me), in a lovely setting

Kutná Hora - small medieval town with a huge cathedral and the bizzare bone church ossuary

Terezín - an 18th century fortress and a WW2 concentration camp
Old Aug 15, 2015, 10:00 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
While I'm not a huge fan of Rick Steves and thought his episode about Prague was subpar even for him, a self guided walking tour may be best. Not familiar with the other publisher.

Even a free local map is a MUST with the way streets curve - it's easy for first time visitor to wonder around, not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.