Wiki Posts
Search

Taxi in Maastricht

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: QF, KLM, BA
Taxi in Maastricht

I'm taking my mum over to Maastricht from UK on Thursday so she can see an Andre Rieu concert. She expected to be fully mobile however hasn't had surgery she was expecting. She can walk although it is slow and painful for her.

Neither of us speak a word of Dutch. Does anyone have any advice for using taxis there? Being from Australia, I'm not that comfortable with tipping. Is that expected or required in Netherlands?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:46 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I am moving this thread to the Europe Forum for discussion. I have seen travel in the Netherlands discussed in that forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:10 am

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Originally Posted by weegraeme
I'm taking my mum over to Maastricht from UK on Thursday so she can see an Andre Rieu concert. She expected to be fully mobile however hasn't had surgery she was expecting. She can walk although it is slow and painful for her.

Neither of us speak a word of Dutch. Does anyone have any advice for using taxis there? Being from Australia, I'm not that comfortable with tipping. Is that expected or required in Netherlands?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Almost everybody in Maastricht will speak (some) English, in any case enough English to get you and your mum to the André Rieu concert. A small tip is common for taxis if the driver is friendly and helpful. For example, if the fare is €28 you pay €30.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sjoerd
Almost everybody in Maastricht will speak (some) English, in any case enough English to get you and your mum to the André Rieu concert. A small tip is common for taxis if the driver is friendly and helpful. For example, if the fare is €28 you pay €30.
Thank you.

We're staying under 1 km from the Vrijthof, but I think we have to travel about 2.5km by road.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 6:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
I have lived in Maastricht. Everybody speaks Mestreechs, fluently Dutch and English.

Be reminded that taxis are usually provided on call. Better to let your hotel reserve one. Some are bigger to handle mobility impaired passengers. If the driver is friendly, ask him to pick you up after the show ends - usually the whole crowd exits at the same time and it can be maddening waiting for a taxi to come available ... Better have one pre-reserved so your mum doesn't need to wait standing.

If you need tasty restaurants, try out the tongerense straat - the most cozy terras square of "Onze Lieve Vrouwe plein", the old water mill and traditional vlaaierie (limburg pies) "bisschopsmolen", very good icecream of "luna rossa" and if you like to treat her to fine dining with a view or in a limestone cave try "chateau neercanne"

Enjoy!
Old Jul 13, 2015, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HadesNL
I have lived in Maastricht. Everybody speaks Mestreechs, fluently Dutch and English.

Be reminded that taxis are usually provided on call. Better to let your hotel reserve one. Some are bigger to handle mobility impaired passengers. If the driver is friendly, ask him to pick you up after the show ends - usually the whole crowd exits at the same time and it can be maddening waiting for a taxi to come available ... Better have one pre-reserved so your mum doesn't need to wait standing.

If you need tasty restaurants, try out the tongerense straat - the most cozy terras square of "Onze Lieve Vrouwe plein", the old water mill and traditional vlaaierie (limburg pies) "bisschopsmolen", very good icecream of "luna rossa" and if you like to treat her to fine dining with a view or in a limestone cave try "chateau neercanne"

Enjoy!
Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, I was already on the train on the way back to Schiphol when I got it.

I've decided that I'd like to come back and have a proper look at the Netherlands, so I'll keep your suggestions for next time.

I did find that everyone speaks English. I was glad they did, but I also felt I was being a bit rude, expecting people to speak a foreign language in their own country. I hope to learn some basic Dutch before I come back next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.