Reload this Page >

Non chip and pin credit cards in Europe

Non chip and pin credit cards in Europe

Old Aug 27, 2015, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mera
I'm going to England in a few weeks, this is a dumb question but one I've been unable to find an answer for and this thread seems close to what I'm wondering: For my Chase Sapphire Preferred (or any other chip and sign card) I don't swipe it right? I insert it in the slot and then it auto prints the slip to sign, I don't have to trigger anything, right?
My habit is to start off by inserting the card in the way the locals with chip+PIN cards do, and thereafter following the screen prompts on the card terminal. If that flops, then I may try the swipe the card or otherwise ask the retailer to swipe it for me. I've had a very high acceptance rate with the Chase Sapphire card in Europe at those retail venues which accept Visa for purchases -- much higher acceptance rates than I used to experience with my US Citi or Amex cards without a chip.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Summer 2015: I used my Capital One chip+signature card in Iceland, Greenland, The UK (primarily Edinburgh and London), and Amsterdam. I did not encounter any rejections or problems.
I even used it to buy Tube tickets in London from a ticket dispenser machine... I was simply not asked for a PIN and the transaction completed successfully.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: Elite in Every Way
We were in Norway in May and had a lot of difficulty with swiped and/or chip and sign cards while trying to pay for hotels. Talking with other travelers they experienced the same issues with Denmark being the most difficult to use anything other than chip and pin cards
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jwahl1
We were in Norway in May and had a lot of difficulty with swiped and/or chip and sign cards while trying to pay for hotels. Talking with other travelers they experienced the same issues with Denmark being the most difficult to use anything other than chip and pin cards
What kind of places were you staying at? I have had no problems in Norway and Denmark with my swipe cards, staying at decent business class hotels and eating at such restaurants.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jwahl1
I stay at Radisson, Choice, Scandic, Starwood, Marriott, First, Elite, Hilton, and Best Western hotels, amongst other chain hotels, in Denmark, Norway and Sweden; and I generally pay with US cards that have no chip. I've had no payment problem whatsoever at these hotels in this region.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:56 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
I have a US issued Chase Sapphire preferred that I use everywhere that isn't EUR denominated. I have never once had an issue with it being accepted.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Do any US banks issue chip and pin cards as an option for those who travel internationally and want to carry one?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by blue_can
Do any US banks issue chip and pin cards as an option for those who travel internationally and want to carry one?
USAA
https://communities.usaa.com/t5/Mone...rds/td-p/25372
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.5MM, NEXUS, Sky Club Lifetime, Admirals Club Lifetime, LowValueCustomer everywhere
State Department FCU is just issuing chip and pin Debit cards. They already have chip and pin Visa CC's.

They also have Prepaid chip and pin but they're not financially effective.

With the growth of the CU Alliance, we're always close to an actual branch in the US where we can transact business if needed.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:24 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
M&T bank issues a chip and pin card. They also issue a chip &pin debit card.
What is nice is no FTF, No AF. It is also a rewards card. ^
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium; Mileage Plus 1K, 1 MM; Global Entry
Originally Posted by powerlifter
M&T bank issues a chip and pin card. They also issue a chip &pin debit card.
What is nice is no FTF, No AF. It is also a rewards card. ^
Just a heads up on the M&T credit card. I got one and took it on my last trip to the UK where it kicked out a signature request every time I used it. Never once asked for the PIN. I did not have a chance to use it in an automated terminal, however.

Called M&T when I got back to ask why I was never asked for a PIN and got an agent who I don't think actually understood the problem. All she could say is that it depends on what type of terminal you put it into.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 11:06 pm

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Originally Posted by Michilander
Just a heads up on the M&T credit card. I got one and took it on my last trip to the UK where it kicked out a signature request every time I used it. Never once asked for the PIN. I did not have a chance to use it in an automated terminal, however.

Called M&T when I got back to ask why I was never asked for a PIN and got an agent who I don't think actually understood the problem. All she could say is that it depends on what type of terminal you put it into.
She was actually right. US cards default to chip & sig if it's available and only go to chip & pin as a backup. We have a card in Spain that does the same thing and it's really weird.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by LupineChemist
She was actually right. US cards default to chip & sig if it's available and only go to chip & pin as a backup. We have a card in Spain that does the same thing and it's really weird.
Too bad I had to go back and forth with her about 4 times before she went off to check with someone else before coming back with that answer.

Still makes it frustrating, since I applied for the card specifically because they advertised it as chip and PIN. <sigh>

Last edited by Michilander; Sep 8, 2015 at 11:17 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 9, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: UA gold, Hyatt Plat Marriott silver,Hilton Gold, PC Plat., SPG Gold.,Hertz Gold, Global Entry
Too bad I had to go back and forth with her about 4 times before she went off to check with someone else before coming back with that answer.

Still makes it frustrating, since I applied for the card specifically because they advertised it as chip and PIN. <sigh>
Thanks for the heads up. I am going to Bahrain at the end of the month with a stopover at AMS. Will be sure to check it out. I like you got it for the pin function.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 11:41 am

Just to update, the M&T card does ask for a PIN when used in the automatic ticket machines in Brussels. Works for both the Metro and SNCB.

By the way, anyone interested in helping to set up a wiki to track where the chip-and-sign cards work in ticket machines?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.