Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > Europe
Reload this Page >

AMS: New Centralized Pre-Boarding Procedures for all US Flights.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMS: New Centralized Pre-Boarding Procedures for all US Flights.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Amiee Shelton
I'm a American citizen and just flew through Amsterdam yesterday. Our flight was delayed getting into Amsterdam which caused us to be in a very short time schedule to catch my flight to the US and The screening was something I can't even put into words. I was asked the normal question I would get at passport control which is "why were you in Europe"? I answered that I was a professor teaching a class and he wanted to know what I thought. When I said I taught propaganda all hell broke loose. In hindsight I should've said I thought customer service... but the questions were aggressive and they lasted for 12 minutes and he asked me how I taught and why I taught and what sources are used and what was my opinion on current propaganda compared to past propaganda. When I became frustrated he gleefully informed me that I was losing my temper and I told him I wasn't losing my temper but I was very frustrated being as I had two minutes to get to my gate and he was asking me questions about my teaching philosophy that I didn't understand. He reported to me that this security was needed because "we have to be very careful about who enters the US."As a United States citizen and a professor at a university I was shocked and dismayed. I honestly thought I was going to be detained ( and I'm a white woman with a PHD and had students with me). Plus, these people don't wear official uniforms or is there any signage explains what this is....
How about this: "I am a US citizen and the US and its agents at AMS have no right to deny me access to my country. Infringing on my rights is a violation of the Geneva Convention. Are we done interrogating me?".
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by BOSTravels
How about this: "I am a US citizen and the US and its agents at AMS have no right to deny me access to my country. Infringing on my rights is a violation of the Geneva Convention. Are we done interrogating me?".
To which the response could very well be

'to board our aircraft you need to answer these questions to our satisfaction. If you do not wish to answer them we will cancel your booking and you will need to fly with another airline'

The people asking the questions are employees / contractors of the airline not the US Government.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

'to board our aircraft you need to answer these questions to our satisfaction. If you do not wish to answer them we will cancel your booking and you will need to fly with another airline'

The people asking the questions are employees / contractors of the airline not the US Government.
...in which case it goes IDB and EC261 (the "interrogation" is not described in the ticket rules and therefore arbitrary and capricious ).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
While we can argue about the need for screening, the questions to not sound idiotic. They are open-ended or designed to put the passenger on the defensive, allowing a questioner to spot suspicious/nervous behavior. Of course the same questions could throw off an innocent person as well. But, the questions sound purposeful and not idiotic.
Some of the questioning is truly idiotic. Some of the interrogations at AMS involve not only questions but even demands based on the interrogators' ignorance of even basic geography and presumption of knowing more about the passengers' own situation than the passengers themselves. It's truly idiotic at times, especially in an age where basic facts are readily available at the interrogators' fingertips.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

Since the USG requires that the US carriers have this interrogation where they have it, and since the USG wants and approves of the contractors, who provides the direct paycheck may just be a proverbial difference without a distinction.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by BOSTravels
...in which case it goes IDB and EC261 (the "interrogation" is not described in the ticket rules and therefore arbitrary and capricious ).
Not quite, if you don't get to your gate because you have not cleared security, it's not IDB, it's a no-show, it's not any different to what will happen if you are stuck in a long queue for normal airport security etc.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 2:13 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Ditto
Not quite, if you don't get to your gate because you have not cleared security, it's not IDB, it's a no-show, it's not any different to what will happen if you are stuck in a long queue for normal airport security etc.
The contractors for the airline are not airport security. And it's still possible to get to the boarding gate area and be there on time without dealing with the D1 type area.

When it's the airline's contractors that are actively preventing a passenger from boarding despite passenger having checked in -- luggage tags and boarding passes in hand -- having cleared the airport screening checkpoint; having been approved to leave by the host country authorities, and having prima facie evidence of admissibility at destination, then being prevented transport by the airline contractors is not the same thing as a no-show. It's constructively denied boarding by the airline. Agency matters.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.